Gunboards Forums banner

Thoughts on a Suomi

4K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Fatherandersonthepaladin 
#1 ·
I don't know if this is the right forum for this, maybe the workbench forum, but what are your thought on buying a Finnish Suomi M31 or KP44 parts kit. Where would I go from there? What gunsmith could I use to complete this gun? Have any of you ever done it?

I ask from a parts kit because I want it to be as original as possible, with all Finnish parts. I know on GB there are complete rifles but I don't think they are built from parts kits, just newly manufactured. If there is someone is out there making these from the parts kits already, please let me know. Please let me know what would be the most practical way of owning one of these guns.

Moderators, if this is not the place for this, please feel free to move this thread to the appropriate forum.

Thanks

#3 ·
Thanks ij, Do you know if the folding stock actually works on the MP44/KP44 pistol?

#4 ·
I bought one of the built Suomi M31's and I'm quite happy with it. It's made from original parts. The barrel is extended to make it legal, and they added a funny looking "compensator" for visual appeal. It's not correct, but it's not bad. If you want to, you could always get an SBR through the BATF and modify yours to the correct length.

Mine shoots very well with stick magazines, but has the occasional jam with drum magazines (I understand that's not unusual with these firearms). I love the look of the gun with a drum, but I prefer the feel of the stick magazines when I'm actually shooting it. The drums get in my way.

The only thing I would change is that I would have preferred a blued finish like the originals. I know someone locally who has a bluing tank. I plan to have the parkerized finish blasted off and have it blued someday. I just haven't gotten to it yet.

For the price I think your better off getting a built Suomi. You'll probably pay more in the end if you get a kit and look for a gunsmith to finish it for you IMO.

#10 ·
So a $200 transfer stamp, a $400 gun, and a folding stock from a parts kit? ($60 to $90 parts kit) That all?

#16 ·
So a $200 transfer stamp, a $400 gun, and a folding stock from a parts kit? ($60 to $90 parts kit) That all?
You'll also need your "Chief Law Enforcement Officer" to sign off and then fingerprint you on the correct FBI cards (if you send them the wrong ones they won't do the transfer) This is a federal requirement. Some people have trouble getting the chief to sign off. You'll want to explain your hobby to the guy and what you want to do. They may not have never seen anything like this before and you may want to ask him before you start the process. My guess is that TX won't be that hard. SBR requests are currently at 5-6 months if you do them correctly.

#14 ·
I have personally handled one of these "pistols", and I can tell you that if the gun you order is anything like the one I've viewed, you won't need a parts kit to make that stock work. The stock was welded, yes, but only with ONE 1/16" tack weld...could've easily been knocked off with a screwdriver/small cold chisel and mallet. After that, all you need is the SBR tax stamp.

That, however, can be a pain. A friend of mine has been waiting on the gov't for nearly a year (he will be building an AR SBR), and they won't even tell him when it could come through.

The parts kits would be rough, I'm sure.

#17 ·
Love mine from MGS and it's a hoot to shoot

#18 ·
Got mine from a dealer at a show with some trading involved. The coating and not being blued is a turn off. I am not 100% sure that this coating is parkerized but may indeed be a form of Duracoat or a phosphate of some sort. Keep in mind there is 6 inches of extra barrel, shroud, and muzzle buffer on these and with a loaded stick mag alone (not the drum) you are dealing with a bit of weight.

Keeping in mind the weight factor I laughed my butt off when one of the first reviewers said there is little or no recoil! That is like saying an anchor that shoots bb's has no recoil. If you buy one start buying lots of 9 mm as it is easy to shoot a lot of I understand from a buddy. He was impressed by the accuracy which he did not expect.

I know I read an article somewhere about turning one of the kits into a working weapon but I'll be darned if I can find it for you. If I get the part of my brain that is missing due to age I will send the article on to you. Or maybe one of these bright and wide awake guys out there has seen it too. Bill

#19 ·
After reading all of this, I think ij is right. I wont be buying a parts kit unless I need spare parts. Best thing is to go through centerfire and get one of those. Might not get the MP44/KP44 after all, don't think I'll like it is permanent pistol config, and I don't want to deal with the SBR stamp. So i guess its the wooden stock original model and a butt-load of 9mm ammo for me!

#20 ·
If you do feel the need to get the SBR stamp in the future, let me know and I'll walk you through the process. It's really straightforward, there's just a whole lot of waiting (I'm going on 4 months right now) and driving around (to the Sheriff/CoP for signatures, the local Walgreens/CVS for passport style photo, and to the local police station on a day they do their public fingerprinting) involved. Local sheriff is usually the best place to go for the signature too, because most of 'em are very firearm friendly (only request the local sheriff had was that I get a gun safe before he signs off on any machineguns, and that's not entirely unreasonable).

Also, the KP31 is sooooooo much easier to convert to SBR. You just have to remove the ridiculous compensator and install an original length barrel (which takes all of 15 seconds). KP44 you have to cut off the entire rear portion of the receiver, find a portion that locks up properly and fits with the rest of the gun, then graft it on there and refinish the whole thing. And now that SMG isn't doing runs of them anymore, it's almost impossible to find one that's built from the ground up as an SBR (though you could always get one of their PPS43 SBRs).

#21 ·
Made my KP31 into a SBR. Looks and shoots great, but I want to get the receiver blued. The shorter earlier barrel shrouds and regular 12" barrels are not hard to find. And you'll be amazed at their accuracy out to 300m. They really are that good!

Please correct me but I was told a photocopy of the stamped, final SBR form is okay. Type out the application because you get the same back, mine with my 12 year old lookin' scrawled out handwriting is a bit embarrasing. It is pretty easy here in MT but I feel sorry for you all in big cities and certain states.

#22 ·
Made my KP31 into a SBR. Looks and shoots great, but I want to get the receiver blued. The shorter earlier barrel shrouds and regular 12" barrels are not hard to find. And you'll be amazed at their accuracy out to 300m. They really are that good!

Please correct me but I was told a photocopy of the stamped, final SBR form is okay. Type out the application because you get the same back, mine with my 12 year old lookin' scrawled out handwriting is a bit embarrasing. It is pretty easy here in MT but I feel sorry for you all in big cities and certain states.
Photocopies are kosher to use as proof of the legal status of the weapon. Point of fact, the original form should be kept in a safe deposit box at the bank of your choice just to be 150% certain that you'll never lose it.

#23 ·
Holy Carp! These things are heavy! Picked them up today from my FFL buddy. At $399, Centerfire said they couldn't give a further discount to Gunboards members, but I got a free "hand pick". These are really nice looking - only problem I have seen so far is that one of them has an extremely stiff safety. They were made by TNW Inc. in Vernonia OR. - never heard of them before. The rifles were finished in some sort of gray phosphate, so original blue mags and drums look a bit odd on them. I love the typical Finnish smoky pine smell of the stock and sling. Got 3 stick mags and one drum for each rifle - all nicely Finn marked. Can't wait to try these out! I am sure with the weight of the thing, the 9mm cartridge will be almost negligible recoil.

#24 ·
ATF forms (form 1 or form 4 are relevant here) are really pretty easy to fill out and get approved. You won't get turned down for a speeding ticket or something silly like that. Most sheriffs are pretty cool about signing off, but if they aren't a judge or state trooper or other chief law enforcement type can do it. Worst case, there is the trust or LLC route, but thats advanced subject matter there.... The pictures and fingerprints aren't a big deal either, and you can probably get all that done for less than $30 or $40.

I mean, yea, its kind of a hassle to make multiple stops with a little packet of papers, and then wait 4-6 months for it to return to your mailbox, but its the cost of doing business with this sort of thing. Bottom line, if you want an SBR, you can do it pretty easily. I would suggest one of the PPS-43c pistols, or one of the Suomi Rifles. Both are pretty straightforward and require minimal work...

#25 ·
I would suggest one of the PPS-43c pistols.
Seen too many of those suckers go south to ever buy one. Design seems to have some problems with the firing pin channel, and they jam like nothing I've ever seen before (local rangemaster bought 4 of 'em from IO when they first came out after hearing rave reviews about the Smith Manufacturing versions [without realizing that SMG Corp is very different from Pioneer Corp], ended up returning every single one for a refund, with 2 jamming like nothing else, 1 not feeding, and the other one slamfiring through an entire 32 round magazine on the first day at the range).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.