Thread: My PSL

Default My PSL

I bought this rifle from Centerfire Systems in September, this is the first chance I've had to offer an evaluation of it. The rifle ran me $770 including shipping and my dealers fee. No scope or mount was included. The metal finish is what I would call a military" black parkerized" type. Overall it seems very well put together, although the trigger is a bit heavy and "gritty" but I plan to replace that with a Tapco G2 very soon. The wood finish was not to my liking so I refinished it with some Minwax spar urethane, and it looks much better now I think. I added a UTG slip on buttpad and an ITC padded cheekrest, both of which are essential IMO since the stock is kinda short for most american shooters and the ergonomics of the stock's cheekrest leave a lot to be desired, especially for Lefties like me. The receiver scope rails on these rifles are quite a bit oversized, and will require modification (ie. milling) to use a Romanian or Russian mount, but I wanted a US Mildot tactical type scope anyway, so I decided to buy the Brugger & Thomet Swiss made PSL Tactical mount with a weaver rail from CFS that fits this rail with no mods, and it puts the scope very low over the receiver & directly in line the bore, ie. no "offset" like the Russian & Romanian mounts, plus it locks up very tight on the rails and is solid as the rock of gibraltar, so I have had no issues so far losing zero when remounting the scope. With about 200 rounds downrage so far, function has been flawless, with no failures to feed or fire, and accuracy has been right at 2.5 to 3 inches @ 100yds. with the Tula and Wolf 148 gr. FMJ ammo that I've been using, but I feel certain that the Tapco trigger and some good handloads can and will improve upon that significantly. Overall I'm pretty happy with this rifle, and I'm confident it will provide me with many hours and thousands of rounds of enjoyment.

That's a very nice PSL and, as you said, looks to be put together really well. I recently just finished building a parts kit from Centerfire and thourgoughly enjoy it. In my opinion I think the rifle would look even better if you painted it a darker black, to match the mag and bolt carrier, but I digress. You are also correct in saying the butt stock leaves a lot to be desired, even for a righty like me. I happen to be left eye dominant and the first time I took my gun to the range I somehow found myself using my left eye quite often when taking shots, which clearly shows you how useless the supposed cheek rest is. Anyways congrats on your new rifle and you will surely enjoy it.

I recently just finished building a parts kit from Centerfire and thourgoughly enjoy it.
    +1 on your PSL build Amory, I saw thread and pics you posted a while back, looks like it turned out great, plus you saved some cash and have the satisfaction of putting it together yourself.

Default Updated with range report & target pics

It was a beautiful warm sunny fall day here in the Mid Atlantic region, so I took the opportunity to get the PSL out to the range. Despite having to compete for bench space with all the deer hunters trying to get their rifles and slug guns sighted in, it turned out to be a fine day for shooting, and the PSL performed flawlessly. The targets below were shot @ 100 yds with Russian "Tula" and "Wolf" brand 148 gr. FMJ, and produced group sizes of 1.75 & 1.25 inches respectively. Oddly, the Wolf ammo shot about 3 inches higher than the Tula, but group size is very consistent. To say that I am pleased with this kind of accuracy, considering the generic Russian bulk ammo that I'm using and the gritty/heavy stock PSL trigger, would be an understatement, and some of my bolt guns would be hard pressed to produce better groups with generic military ball ammo. The gritty stock PSL trigger is actually starting to smooth out a little bit with continued use, but is still on the heavy side @ about 8 lbs., and will soon be upgraded with a Tapco G2 unit. I think it's safe to say I'll be putting a lot of lead downrange with this rifle, and it appears destined to become one of my favorites.

Perfect situation for how I shot my PSL, Amory. I always fired it, right-handed, left-eye in the scope. I saw a pic of a Soviet Sniper doing that with his SVD at "The Committee" on Ft. Benning, back in '79. I tried it with my rifle and it worked great. He appeared to be a Caucasion Soviet, perhaps taller than average. I am 6-4, 220-ish, so I tried the same thing with my PSL. Worked like a charm.

Nice rifle, Shoob
    Join the PSL Owners' Group. I'll approve you as soon as I see your request.

The PSL is a very fun rifle to shoot....I think I will start a thread with a what are your top 5 FUN rifles.

The PSL is impressive. I shoot mine through the iron sights. I know this is the sniper forum, but I sold the scope, and just haven't gotten around to getting a better POSP. Anyhow, had mine out this past weekend and was getting 8-10 inch groupings through the iron sights at about 170 paces. I thought that was fairly decent considering I've never been a great shot.

Nice gun, shoobie!

Is the Wolf or Tula ammo too heavy? I always thought the PSL liked light ball milsurp.
    Shroud of virtue hung to mask your stigma
    as I smile and laugh and dance
    and sing your glory
    while you
    lie, cheat, and steal.

I always shoot left eye on my Russian scopes, but that's because I can see better that way, compliments of a bad job done on my right eye with a laser! I also put high mounts on my other sporting rifles so I can "creep" over to shoot left eye on them, but I have to shoot left-handed over iron sights.
    Quote Originally Posted by TW1Kell View Post
    Perfect situation for how I shot my PSL, Amory. I always fired it, right-handed, left-eye in the scope. I saw a pic of a Soviet Sniper doing that with his SVD at "The Committee" on Ft. Benning, back in '79. I tried it with my rifle and it worked great. He appeared to be a Caucasion Soviet, perhaps taller than average. I am 6-4, 220-ish, so I tried the same thing with my PSL. Worked like a charm.

Nice rifle, Shoob

I actually rather licked shooting left eye, because as I mentioned I am left eye dominant so it is all around easier. It just felt really strange because it was the first time I was able to do so, as it is quite impossible with iron sights. Though Im glad to know that this is not frowned upon as bad technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Amory View Post
    I actually rather licked shooting left eye, because as I mentioned I am left eye dominant so it is all around easier. It just felt really strange because it was the first time I was able to do so, as it is quite impossible with iron sights. Though Im glad to know that this is not frowned upon as bad technique.
    Ditto ... seems like its more common than I would have guessed

Yup, same here. Righty, left eye dominant. With scoped rifles, I shoot righty position, left eye. With open sights I shoot lefty position, left eye.

Keith

Where did you get the cheek pad and what kind is it? I NEED one!

Quote Originally Posted by Don357 View Post
    Where did you get the cheek pad and what kind is it? I NEED one!
    Don, it's made by International Training Concepts (ITC) and it's called a "Railrest", It's perfect for the PSL, and a must have for Lefty's like me.

http://www.itcmarksmanship.com/c-14-itc-railrest.aspx

Where do you get the buttpad? I've seen pads, but I want to make 100% sure that I get one that fits.

Deepest Darkest Jungles of Fayette Nam, NC

Like to see all these PSL shooters!!

The ITC products are great! Have one on my 700 Sendero. Didnt like the rail rest on the adjustable stock, just use the one on the stock.

Gun Lover by Birth, Soldier by Choice!

Remember Guns Don't Kill People, Stupid People Kill People!

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee_140 View Post
    The PSL is a very fun rifle to shoot....I think I will start a thread with a what are your top 5 FUN rifles.
    I ave a similar butt pad on my PSL. I got two of those from dph Arms. They are supposed to fit both the AK47 and PSL. PSL fit was snug and it stays on. AK fit was loose and falls off my SAR-1 pretty easily. They are $8.99 each. Very quick service too.

Got a similar pad, and it works in conjunction with the brake and the spring-loaded plate so well that recoil is just about pleasant.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rightside.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	491191
    Rise of the Dark Son - by Davis E. Riddle
    Fiend Fighter - by Davis E. Riddle
    Skein of Shadows - by The Wandering Men (member, Davis E. Riddle)

“A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.”—Judge Benson E. Legg

Quote Originally Posted by thebohunk View Post

Is the Wolf or Tula ammo too heavy? I always thought the PSL liked light ball milsurp.
    148 grain is Light Ball. That's what he's shooting thru it.
    Join the PSL Owners' Group. I'll approve you as soon as I see your request.

Deepest Darkest Jungles of Fayette Nam, NC

Used the ITC rest in the rain deer hunting and it held up great! Always liked the feel and wet and cold wasnt too bad!

Gun Lover by Birth, Soldier by Choice!

Remember Guns Don't Kill People, Stupid People Kill People!

Quote Originally Posted by MeatMissile View Post
    Where do you get the buttpad? I've seen pads, but I want to make 100% sure that I get one that fits.
    The one on my rifle in the pic is from Leapers/UTG, it's intended for AK's but is a perfect fit on the PSL.

http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.p...tus=&mtrack=2m

That one looks like an SVD/NDM pad.
    Rise of the Dark Son - by Davis E. Riddle
    Fiend Fighter - by Davis E. Riddle
    Skein of Shadows - by The Wandering Men (member, Davis E. Riddle)

“A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.”—Judge Benson E. Legg