sick New Marlin 336Y Review

Hello, it's my first time here; be gentle with me.

I have been looking for a gift for a young gentleman who is of the age where he is ready to start hunting, and thought about getting him one of the Marlin 336Y carbines in caliber .30-30, figuring that with its reduced length of pull, it would be an excellent choice. I found a new one today at my local gunshop and the price was right ($395). That rifle looked really sweet sitting up there on the rack, but when I had the clerk hand it to me, I was disappointed with the fit and finish.

The bluing seemed to be well done, and the mechanical bits all seemed to function nicely with good tight tolerances. However two things really turned me off.

First, the trigger had very sharp points where the vertical side met the horizontal bottom of the trigger. That was sharp enough that I think it could have drawn blood if grabbed in haste, and was decidedly uncomfortable just to dry fire. I hesitate to think what it would do to your finger under recoil. It was sharp on both sides, indicating that whoever was responsible for prepping these triggers didn't spend enough time polishing the edges to make them properly contoured. What about just filing it down when I get the rifle home? Nope.....the trigger has a gold finish, so any filing or polishing would strip off the finish and be readily apparent. .

Second, the receiver to buttstock fit was terrible. The wood of the pistol grip seemed to me to be a bit on the fat side when I held it, and my feeling was right. Where the wood joined the receiver there was approximately 1/16th of an inch gap on one side, and the wood stood proud of the metal by 1/8th of an inch on one side and by 1/16th of an inch on the other. Any attempt to sand the MarShield-finished wood to better blend wood to metal would stand out like a hooker in church.

I had heard the rumors about the unskilled labor in the new Marlin plant causing quality problems, and dismissed them as being just that; rumors. Boy oh boy! I believe them now! That rifle was not anywhere near the quality of the Marlins I have held and shot in the past. I hope Marlin gets its act together soon at the newly relocated plant.

Needless to say, what started out as a possible purchase didn't happen.
    Geal ‘us dearg a suas!

Member since Gunboards v1.0

Well, I found a 336 W in a private sale locally that really was "like new". Beautiful condition. I paid the full asking price, $275, without dickering.
    Geal ‘us dearg a suas!

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
    Well, I found a 336 W in a private sale locally that really was "like new". Beautiful condition. I paid the full asking price, $275, without dickering.
    Unlikely you will decide in the future that it was a mistake at that price for the condition descibed. Be a gun the recipient can, with ordinary care, use for a life-time, and then pass on to his children or grandchildren. Still working fine.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Look at a 336W instead. Very good quality model of the Marlin line and I paid $325.00 new for one in 30-30 winchester for my very petite 16 year old daughter. She loves it !

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by byobbubba View Post
    Look at a 336W instead. Very good quality model of the Marlin line and I paid $325.00 new for one in 30-30 winchester for my very petite 16 year old daughter. She loves it !
    See Post #2 supra - already accomplished, it appears.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

The first high powered rifle I ever fired was a Marlin 336 in .30-30. It seemed to kick so hard then.....and seems like a real sweetheart now, since I have fired stouter calibers in the meantime.
    Geal ‘us dearg a suas!

I'm quite fond of my 336. I don't know anyone who has one that doesn't feel the same way. Bought it about 5 years ago at an estate sale in as new condition and it even came with 100 rounds of in the box Winchester hunting ammo and a handful of loose rounds. I haven't seen one of the new ones yet but it sounds like they are a disappointment.
    Regards, Alan K.
    Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for gold or guns.

Quote Originally Posted by IamElmerJFudd View Post
    I'm quite fond of my 336. I don't know anyone who has one that doesn't feel the same way. Bought it about 5 years ago at an estate sale in as new condition and it even came with 100 rounds of in the box Winchester hunting ammo and a handful of loose rounds. I haven't seen one of the new ones yet but it sounds like they are a disappointment.
    I understand that the company is stepping back and taking a careful look at the quality issues, many of which apparently caused by their transfer of the factory to KY, with the resulting inexperienced workforce. I hear rumors that Marlin is trying to woo some of its old employees to move down south to get the quality standards back up to snuff. I certainly hope so. I don't think I have ever seen an American-made rifle that was assembled with so little attention to fit and finish.
    Geal ‘us dearg a suas!