Gunboards Forums banner

Enfield reloading and 123 grain bullets

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  tertle 
#1 ·
I have been loading for my No.4 using 174 and 180 grain bullets so far with excellent results. My oldest son is 11 and wants to shoot my No.4, which he helped to disassemble, degrease, clean and reassemble. I am wondering if 123 grain bullets have been reloaded with satisfactory results by any of you. The rifle is a 2-groove, and I am using IMR 4064 but can't find any reloading info for that combo. I just checked my Hornady 6th edition and the Dupont-IMR site and those came up dry, too.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Pat

#2 ·
I've tried Sierra 125gr with absolutely disasterous results - I think the reasons being that the bullet is too short to engage the rifling and is not stabilised as it goes down the barrel.
I'm guessing a 2-groove barrel would be even worse.

Load data I've found for the Sierra 125gr using IMR4064 is COAL2.90" :
2600 fps 42.4gr
2700 fps 44.0gr
2800 fps 45.6gr (Max loading)

Speer 125gr with IMR 4064 COAL 2.915"
42gr (minimum) 2531 fps
46gr (maximum) 2788 fps

As always - loads are not a recommendation and load development should be undertaken by the user.

#3 ·
I have tried the 123gr. .310 dia. bullets with IMR4064 and the accuracy I got at 50yds. was around 2" in my Savage.

I tried the 125gr. .311 dia. Sierra with IMR 4064 in the same Savage and got fair accuracy out to 50yds. Light recoil and fun to shoot which might be good for your son.

Some Enfields may not shoot the smaller bullets as well. Try some and see...

#4 ·
If you want a mild target load, I would suggest a 150gr lead bullet .312 diameter with a MV of 1500-1600fps- your groups at 100yrds should be very tight and this load would be good out to at least 200-250yrds. I have a No4Mk1 and a 1918 No3mk1 and both prefer a bullet that is .312" that is long- engages the rifleing better because of increased contact surface. There also reliable load data on the 150gr and 200gr bullet weights. The company that sells these for about $20/100 w/ gas checks is Montana Bullet Company. Have fun

#5 ·
Poot, i know i may be being a little naughty but have a look at
http://www.allaboutenfields.co.nz/forums/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=7
in it is a 50 meter result using 220gr lead, its gentle and i promise that if your lad can hold the rifle in the aim, this load will be gentle and still knockdown the recipient also i have the 100 meter load that even more accurate using less powder and still very worthy of consideration, also i appreciate that its hard getting the exact mold and all but flick me an email and i may be able to put you onto some good people! Also my honest opinion, FMJ at that size (123) hmmmm not flattering, but there are ways to get the old girl to be kind on young shoulders and kind too on the ears!

#6 ·
Like many military rifle shooters here in Oz I get very good results with pulled 123 gr 0.311" FMJ military bullets in a variety of Enfields. These bullets were pulled in the thousands when cheap Chinese 7.62 x 39 military ammo was reloaded with 123 gr soft points for pig hunting etc. No problem with engaging the rifling even though they are a boat tail type. Accuracy in H barrel target rifles can rival Sierra Matchkings out to 500 yds if wind is light. Recoil is mild and I help a junior reload this projectile for a lot of his practice and competition too. The trick for accuracy is to use a mild load of 39 gr of 2206H and leave velocity down near the 174 gr 2440 fps, a load which is only a grain more than the 174 projectile maximum load and actually below the recommended start load for a 123 gr projectile (case fill level is still very good)

#7 ·
Thank you gentlemen,
It sounds like the 123 grain bullets are a no-go then. Aside from loading something that would be easier on my son's shoulders, I was hoping to take advantage of a load of 7.62x39 ammo I have laying around. I have less and less interest in my remaining SKSs, so pulling those bullets was appealing...

It also sounds like the 150 grain bullets are about the minimum weight for any kind of appreciable accuracy. I will experiment with some of those, I believe Graf's has them at a good price.

-EDIT- Ooops, I just saw SwedeM63's post after posting this. That's very encouraging! I'm only using IMR 4064 right now, but will try an appropriately low amount of that and experiment with it. Thanks!

Thank you all again,
Pat

#8 ·
I used to have a long branch with 2 groove barrel...that would shoot very tight groups with 100 grain cast .32 pistol bullets.It also shot pulled 7.62x39 bullets very well.Its definitely worth experimenting with these lighter bullets....they have a lot going for them in light -recoiling handloads.

#9 ·
Thanks to our ANZAC brothers for the input on the x39 bullets. I think this will make for VERY happy shooting for my oldest son, he's been waiting to shoot the Enfield for awhile. The Garands sort of scared him off after one round, but he can handle an SKS on his own with ease. We shoot right on our property, over one of our orchards and across to an upward slope, and most of it is offhand rather than benched or proned out.

I appreciate the information you've shared; I'll post a progress report once I've worked up loads and get some trigger time in! To add to this, I just agreed to a deal to add a '43, 5 groove Long Branch to my collection to accompany my (no date) Savage No.4. Looking forward to ALOT of fun now...!

All the Best,
Pat

#10 ·
About 10 years ago, a Gun Club held a .303 shoot. I used a Number 1 Mark III rifle, with cartridges loaded with Remington 123 grain bullets. There were six events, two each at 100, 200, and 300 yards, and there were something like 38 shooters that showed up. We shot standing and kneeling at 100, sitting and prone at 200 and prone and a 15 round rapid with a one minute time limit at 300.

There was a First and Second Prize for each event, and out of the 12 prizes, I ended up with 6 of them. Not too bad for a guy who was 60 years old at the time, using those light 123 grain bullets. As to accuracy, there were two Firsts at 200, a First Prone at 300, a Second Rapid at 300, a First Standing at 100 and a Second Kneeling at 100.

I would say that the 123 grain bullet CAN be accurate in the .303 British, but you have to develop a load that suits it. The Remington bullets ran .311 diameter and were designed with the SKS in mind, but I used a reduced load of IMR-4895 that gave velocities in the 2200-2300 FPS range.

If you want to use cast bullets, try 13 grains of Red Dot Shotgun Powder. This is referred to as "The Load," and was promoted by C.E. Harris who experimented with Cast Bullets and wrote articles for the American NRA.

#12 ·

If you want to use cast bullets, try 13 grains of Red Dot Shotgun Powder. This is referred to as "The Load," and was promoted by C.E. Harris who experimented with Cast Bullets and wrote articles for the American NRA.
as an aside thats where ive got the basis for my current loads im working on. I made chamber several casts that showed that most of my either unfired, mint or at least 90% conditioned barrels all had bores that measured.314 -318 , and whilst i dont doubt 123 may shoot ok, i would think they would be the exception, or so i would have thought?

#11 ·
Good post! I'm all set to raid my x39 ammo shelf and start pulling bullets...

Pat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.