Thread: Remington model 11/Savage Model 720 barrel interchangability

Default Remington model 11/Savage Model 720 barrel interchangability

Hello all,
    I posted before about my desire to make an HD shotgun out of an old Model 11.I obtained an old model 11 cheap and was contemplating cutting down the barrel,adding swivels, and duracoating or parking it when done.I wasn't in it for much,so the effort would have been worth it to me.While at a show, I happened upon a model 11 that already had all the above done to it. The price was right, so I purchased it for cheaper than the modifications would have cost on my existing shotgun.After purchase,I tested it for functionality, and all is ok.It functions wonderfully and despite the kick,is quite handy. I would now like to convert my other one to the same configuration minus the duracoating/parking.I decided not to chop the original barrel since it matched numberwise and so have been on the hunt for a spare barrel to cut down.As luck would have it I was just "given" an old shotgun barrel that happens to be from a from a Savage 720.The barrels appear identical except for minor finish issues, but oddly enough,the Savage barrel fits and moves smoothly in the cutdown Model 11, but is tight in the receiver I want to use it in.It still slides,but the movement isn't as smooth as the original barrel or my other one. Both other (Model 11) barrels interchange without issue.There are no burrs or other obvious problems.Is it a wear issue that will correct itself ?and are the barrels interchangable without any issues that I am unaware of?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GFL775 View Post
    Hello all,
    I posted before about my desire to make an HD shotgun out of an old Model 11.I obtained an old model 11 cheap and was contemplating cutting down the barrel,adding swivels, and duracoating or parking it when done.I wasn't in it for much,so the effort would have been worth it to me.While at a show, I happened upon a model 11 that already had all the above done to it. The price was right, so I purchased it for cheaper than the modifications would have cost on my existing shotgun.After purchase,I tested it for functionality, and all is ok.It functions wonderfully and despite the kick,is quite handy. I would now like to convert my other one to the same configuration minus the duracoating/parking.I decided not to chop the original barrel since it matched numberwise and so have been on the hunt for a spare barrel to cut down.As luck would have it I was just "given" an old shotgun barrel that happens to be from a from a Savage 720.The barrels appear identical except for minor finish issues, but oddly enough,the Savage barrel fits and moves smoothly in the cutdown Model 11, but is tight in the receiver I want to use it in.It still slides,but the movement isn't as smooth as the original barrel or my other one. Both other (Model 11) barrels interchange without issue.There are no burrs or other obvious problems.Is it a wear issue that will correct itself ?and are the barrels interchangable without any issues that I am unaware of?
    Thanks
    Some while back I had both a Savage 720 US Military shotgun and an old Remington Modell11. I had 2 barrels for each. As I recall the Savage Model 720 barrel was a tight fit on the Remington 11. Tight enough to cause some extreme pain on recoil. I would be afraid to shoot it. On the other hand the Remington barrel was a good fit on the Savage. the Savage 720 and Remington Model 11 do have minor dimensional differences. I wouldn't put the Savage 720 barrel on the Remington to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by GFL775 View Post
    Hello all,
    Thanks
    Put new springs in the 11, BOTH SPRINGS (the recoil and action spring (behind the bolt in the stock).

Set the recoil operation mechanism properly and replace worn-out springs, and they are NOT a hard-recoiling gun.

I have both a 50-yr old A5 and a Mod. 11R (Riot-gun). Both are heavilly used, and wonderful shooters.

Mod. 11 springs are pricey adn hard to come by (sometimes). Use Browning A5 springs for apropriate model (gauge and chamber length). bnowningusa.com

I dont know about the action spring, but a new recoil spring will make a huge difference. I think an A5 recoil spring should work fine. I like to buy from brownells or midway with this type thing.
    "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." -- Shane

Who is John Galt?

Thanks for the replies. Just to update,I took both shotguns and barrels out to the range to experiment.The cutdown has a newer spring set installed about (9 5/8"),while the other one has one that is quite compressed,figure about 8".With the newer spring and the Savage barrel,the shotgun would not cycle,with various loads up to 00.With the worn spring, the Savage barrelled gun functioned fine with all loads.The friction ring was set up for heavy loads on both shotguns.
    The cutdown again functioned flawlessly with all loads, even with the 8" spring installed.

Minimum for that spring is 9 1/2", the action spring is closer to a foot, will have to look it up.