Default 1917 Remington price check

Local gun shop has what appears to be a real nice 1917. Looks to have the orig finish. Barrel is marked R 6-18. I cant remember the serial number off the top of my head however. Stock is marked R at the tip, every part i see that is marked is marked with an R. No rebuild marks on the stock and has a nice strong eagle head mark on the wrist. Stock looks VERY good. I doubt this rifle saw very much service. Bore also is fantastic. I wasn't able to snap any pictures though. They are asking $997 for it. Very tempted to pick this up to "complete" (yeah right) my US bolt action collection. I have been out of the loop for a few years and am not sure what they are going for in "as issued" condition nowadays. What say you?

$997 seems a little high. I bought an Eddystone about a year and a half ago at a gun show for $625. 1918
    manufacture with a barrel date of 12-18. It's maybe not quite as nice as this one but has a good stock with
    very few nicks and dings and the bore is nice and shiny. Maybe they will be willing to deal but I would think you
    should be able to find a decent one in the 600 to 800 dollar range. Maybe prices vary depending what part
    of the country you're in?

For truly an original finish and correct stock and parts, it may not be too far overpriced. I followed a few sales last year, and real gems did break $1000 on occasion. I haven't watched in recent months as the economy has tanked, though. Maybe a little dickering can make it more appealing?

About $200-$300 too high assuming even that it is all correct Remington. Plenty 1917s out there with only correct Winchesters bringing the premium prices this seller is asking. Most nice 1917s available are either post WWI or WWII rebuilds and fetch in the $500-$600 range. I have a near mint original Remington (not reworked) that I bought last year in the $700 range.

Words Conquer!

Very early in the morning, I'd say. BradB is right. It is the Winchester that I was following, and not the Remington. They were the ones that were bringing big money.

My apologies, and now to get a cup of coffee.

nice original Remington should sell for around 450.00 to 500.00...blued, not parkerized

Thanks for the info guys. Good thing i didn't jump on it. I sometimes go off half-cocked when i see something i really want. I guess the search continues.

In the past year I have seen what appeared to be an unissued Remington Model 1917 sell at a gun store for $1,500. It was truly a minty rifle. I also saw a like minty Winchester sell for about the same price less than three months ago. Maybe not everyone would be willing to pay those kind of prices, but someone is.

I agree that a run-of-the-mill arsenal rework will generally run in the $500 to $600 range. Add a couple of hundred for one without rework stamps on the stock. But a lot depends on where you are. If you're at a big show, with two dozen to choose from in average ranges of condition and originality, and there just one or two minty originals to be had, those might easily push the $1,000 range while the rest of the herd lags hundreds of dollars behind. They may or may not actually sell, but these days you can't rule it out. And the WW1 centennial is getting closer any day.

One thing I've noticed is that the price differences between the three manufacturers have evened out quite a bit. Time was, people would turn their noses up at an Eddystone, and fall all over a Winchester. But now a good, original Eddystone will give a Winchester a run for its money. A really nice, untouched Eddystone can be surprisingly hard to find. And the Eddystone was after all the preferred manufacturer for issue in the AEF in France.
    Last edited by Jungles; 11-18-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JT76 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Good thing i didn't jump on it. I sometimes go off half-cocked when i see something i really want. I guess the search continues.
    If you really like it, go back and offer couple hundred less and see what happens. Never hurts to ask. It sounds like a nice M1917 to add to your collection.

Meh these people are real D-bags at this shop. They give me attitude after every question. I was actually going to pick up an SMLE they had there for my buddy (he has been telling me to look out for one now for a while) It has a BSA commercial barrel on it so i asked if they were flexible on the price. I got an emphatic "NO!" I hate even doing business with these people but they are the only circus in town for all intents and purposes. Oh well they missed out on 2 sales.