Gunboards Forums banner

New "1930" Venezuelan mauser

6K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  lornedavis 
#1 · (Edited)
Really crappy auction pictures..I'll post better when it arrives.

Description advised:

Venezuelan Model 1930 short rifle. Cal. 7 x 57 mm. 22 3/4" bbl. SN Z6099. Blued finish on metal with heavy coat of cosmoline, walnut stock shows deep handling marks. Good.

It was pretty sparse information to bid on, but I've had pretty good luck with this auction house in the past.

See less See more
#4 ·
Not sure what this is, but it doesn't appear to be a Venezuelan Mauser. No crest and 8 x 57 chambering. Rifle looks pristine under a thick coat of cosmo..bluing 100%, bore good, stock good.

Any help with an identification?

#8 ·
FN sold 7.92 carbines to the Dutch after WWII. They could have sold an off-the-shelf FN1930 (or FN1950) short rifle like yours to almost anyone. Normally the stock serial number was just below the number on the receiver and the floorplate was unmarked.

#9 ·
Thats a post war Yugoslav refurb rifle for sure..If you dont collect these and want to move it on to someone who loves and does, just let me know!...Maybe we can work out a sale or trade : )

Its an oddball one and doesnt fit into any normal parameters..the scrubbed receiver and English "Z" prefix tells me it was intended for export and not Yugoslav use

#10 ·
I thought that Yugoslavia bought the 1924 rifle from FN. Wasn't that the intermediate length action? This is the regular length action.

I should have mentioned that in my post

#11 ·
If it had an intermediate length action it might be a Yugo FN1924 made in Belgium. Since it has a standard length action it is not.

#12 ·
The yugoslavs scrubbed many full length actions and made them BO...Here are some of mine I coined the Term Yugo Mystery Mausers for them..since finding mine I have seen more than a few others..VZ-24 as well as K98k rifles..some fully scrubbed some with major markings remaining..quite a few configurations of a common theme...I own over 40 yugo refurbs and if those serials, Triangle cartouche and blued bolt arent Yugo I will send you a prize. : )..I think a Yugoslav M24/47 sling would be a good match on that rifle

Note the MOD 98 ghost marking on the left side receiver and the VZ23 and 24 parts..I have seen some that are almost a VZ24 configuration as well as K98k configuration

I think its a super rifle and if your interests are elswhere I sure hope you will give me a heads up cuz I sure would love to have it in my odball grouping..you like candy?? ; )

#16 ·
The yugoslavs scrubbed many full length actions and made them BO...Here are some of mine I coined the Term Yugo Mystery Mausers for them..since finding mine I have seen more than a few others..VZ-24 as well as K98k rifles..some fully scrubbed some with major markings remaining..quite a few configurations of a common theme...I own over 40 yugo refurbs and if those serials, Triangle cartouche and blued bolt arent Yugo I will send you a prize. : )..I think a Yugoslav M24/47 sling would be a good match on that rifle View attachment 519301 View attachment 519297 View attachment 519298 View attachment 519300 View attachment 519299

Note the MOD 98 ghost marking on the left side receiver and the VZ23 and 24 parts..I have seen some that are almost a VZ24 configuration as well as K98k configuration

I think its a super rifle and if your interests are elswhere I sure hope you will give me a heads up cuz I sure would love to have it in my odball grouping..you like candy?? ; )
Thanks, John.

I have no information that your theory is any less valid than anyone else's. This truly appears to be a "mystery Mauser" at this point.

#13 ·
Given the obvious geographical issue of a Venezuelan rifle turning up in Yugoslavia, I wonder if this is scrubbed Greek FN1930.

#14 ·
You may have something there. The Z prefix (as well as other Greek letter blocks) was used on FN1930 Greek serial numbers.

But not if the caliber is actually 7X57. Check to see if maybe it is actually 7.92X57.

#17 ·
Hey Fred ..still hammering on this..is the front site base cut for a Hood??...also isnt that a VZ-24 bolt takedown cross bolt??..I dont know enough about if the Belgians also used this type but Its not on the rifles they suplied to Yugoslavia..going to point out also that the serials are exactly where you would find them on a Yugoslav refurb and oriented in the same way too.

Is there by any chance a circle cartouch with a V in it..would be very small

Although this is a Z prefix and the Mystery Mausers are W prefix it still looks like the same "flavor" of refurb..

See this thread over to Surplus rifle which has some good pics of some W prefix rifles..Poot has one too but I have been unable to transfer the pics to the thread..not too proficient at times I'm afraid http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=84894&hilit=mystery

#18 ·
Hi, John. I appreciate your hanging in with me on trying to ID this rifle.

There is no front sight base cut for a hood. There is a small circle "A" on the front sight base as well as the bolt root.

I'm not sure about the cross bolt. I'm just not knowledgeable enough on these matters.

#19 ·
The bolt looks like it is a Greek FN 1930. The Z (Zeta) with the 4 digits after it is common to Greek Fns.(as geladen previously mentioned) The circle A I think is a FN proof mark. The stock is not Greek issue and none of my Greek FNs have any serial numbers on the magazine floor plate, Also Greek FNs had the prefix of the alphabet before the serial number on the stock and not imprinted as deep as yours. IMO the receiver and the bolt is from a Greek FN. I wouldn't be surprised if this is an 8mm.

#20 ·
The A in a circle as well as the symbol found on the top bolt root look Belgian to me..I have not seen them on Yugoslavian manufactured rifles

Did I mention what a beautiful stock that is? : )

#21 ·
inally pulled the handguard to see what was under it. Found this...not sure what it means...

The "7.9M" would seem to clear up the question of caliber.

Does this shed any further light?

#22 ·
Circle A used on FN commercial actions also.

I have a 1947 vintage Husqvarna sporting rifle with a commercial FN action that has the very same A in a circle under the bolt stub.The proof marks do confirm the caliber and country of origin of the barrel. FN apparently did use the indent on the recoil lug on the Lithuanian contract (pictures in Ball, MMRW) but the stocks were also made with a rear side sling swivel. No doubt there were spares from VZ 24 stocks where and when this rifle was being refurbed.

#23 ·
I have a 1947 vintage Husqvarna sporting rifle with a commercial FN action that has the very same A in a circle under the bolt stub.The proof marks do confirm the caliber and country of origin of the barrel. FN apparently did use the indent on the recoil lug on the Lithuanian contract (pictures in Ball, MMRW) but the stocks were also made with a rear side sling swivel. No doubt there were spares from VZ 24 stocks where and when this rifle was being refurbed.
I think the lion over the "PV" stamped into the bolt root is another indication that the bolt is an FN bolt.

I'm not sure what "the indent on the recoil lug" refers to however.

#24 ·
The indent on the recoil lug is a feature of Czech. stocks. That is a cone shaped depression in the head of the recoil lug that is used for bolt disassembly.

#25 ·
Took the mauser down and cleaned off the cosmo. Bluing looks great...almost perfect. Most of the small parts are marked with an "A" in a circle.

The feed ramp is typical of the mark...

The sight base had some interesting marks

Receiver shared some of the proof marks that are on the barrel shank

Bore is excellent

#27 ·
It was probably reblued when rebuilt by the Yugos. The scrubbed the 'crest' from and reblued a lot of K98k rifles but this is the first FN1930 I've seen like that. The circle A is a common FN inspection marking. Later ones were marked with A or B in a square.
Regards,
Bill

#28 ·
Is it common for the Yugoslavians to have kept the small parts from a rifle together when they rebuilt it? With few exceptions, the stock metal and small rifle parts are all marked with the FN circle "A".

Thanks

#29 ·
Common...No.. these were basically parts guns..I can never say never with a Yugo refurb..it always brings out the odd example ; )...The fact it has no crest might mean something..like it was part of a smaller contract done at a smaller refurb facility..guessing of course..still wondering

As I pointed to in the past there does seem to be odd runs of BO (unmarked) rifles..Gut feelings aint proof tho

#30 ·
Finally got this rifle to the range for some firing. It did pretty well.

I fired a couple of rounds at 50 yards to make sure it was on the paper...

Moved a target down to 100 yards and let fly...

I have trouble with the Mauser triangular sights, so I think this thing could do better with some younger, stronger eyes.

#31 · (Edited)
You have to very careful comparing stock features of Lithuanian FN rifles with others types (Statement above stating Balls book shows the 'lug dimple' on a 24L). Many of these rifles were rebuilt at some point using VZ-24 stocks. I have one, matched except for un-numbered wood, and bayo lug which has the circle Z. Middle band & butt plate un-marked. All other parts are number to match or has the "gates" stick figure inspection stamp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.