Thread: Books and web sites for Savage 99 collecting

Default Books and web sites for Savage 99 collecting

Hello. I have a Savage 99F that is used for hunting. I am very fond of this rifle and its rotary magazine, which was designed by Arthur Savage back in the early 1900s to enable the use of high velocity pointed bullets in lever action rifles. I would like to learn more and possible collect the Savage 99 so I was wondering if anyone can recommend suitable books and web sites. I am aware of the web site www.savage99.com and the book by Douglas Murray but are there other recommendations? There doesn't seem to be much compared to Winchester lever models. Thanks.
    "Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love." Lao Tzu

Hi there!

It may seem odd for one firearms-related message board to send you to another, but trust me, you want to go to this place:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...age_Collectors

They have the greatest concentration of hardcore Savage collectors in one place. While their primary focus is the Model 99, they also talk about other Savage models as well as Savage pistols and the Stevens/Springfield product line as well.

As a plus, there are also some Canadian collectors who can help you out as well.

Mine is a "Swiss Cheese Rat" 1899A takedown in .30-30 made in 1916 that went to Duluth, then Sweden, then back to me.

I bought a good friend a 1957-vintage Model 99F in .308 Winchester to compliment his collection of 7.62 NATO military rifles, he was quite appreciative.

Good luck over there.

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Fushigi is right about the place to go.

Arthur Savage actually designed his lever gun in the 1890s, and first brought it to production as the 1895. With some improvements suggested by experience, came the 1899. I have a 99A (the second model with the A suffix, made toward the end of rotary magazine production) in 250, and it is a pet.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Friend bought one in 250 Savage back in early 80s. What a sweet gun to shoot. They were very well constructed.

Old thread, but I recently bought one from about 1970, in .308 Win. I haven't seen one I could afford in about 20 years. This was it.

Great rifles.

mark