Thread: tokarev m57 or CZ52

Default tokarev m57 or CZ52

I am new to eastern bloc handguns and am deciding between either the Tokarev m57 in 7.62x25mm or the VZ52 in 7.62x25mm. Would you guys please advise me on the pros and cons of each? Thank you in advance for your feedback...
    Last edited by mustang69; 11-23-2011 at 09:12 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of smart.

"I would never shoot someone and then run them over, unless or course they had it comin"
    pcanhot-

I think the Tokarev is a more reliable & robust design than the CZ52

the Tokarev has a much longer combat history used by several countries and wars, it just seems more battle proven

I have one of each.
    For me the M-57 does not have the feeding problems of the CZ52.
    I get about 1 failure to feed for every couple of magazines in the 52 Bulgarian is best for me.
    In the 57-Polish, Bulgarian and Romanian all work fine.
    Plan on getting one of each although with rising prices for the 7.62x25 they are not as cheap to shoot as they used to be (but what is?).

BB91 is offline Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords

I have owned several CZ52's each had it own problems, hold open catch, FTF's etc.

Using the same ammo never one problem with the Yugo M57, I've heard about some problems with the cheap safeties on the Yugo's but haven't experienced it myself.

Thanks guys...I have read some bad reviews on the vz52's also..I think I wll try the m57
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of smart.

"I would never shoot someone and then run them over, unless or course they had it comin"
    pcanhot-

It has been a few years, I shot S&B commercial 7.62x25 in one of my CZ-52, I did not have any problems.

From collector point, CZ-52 is more desirable because they are out of production. M57 is still in production. If you get M57, get one with Yugoslav crest.

I like them both. Both shoot nicely and eat everything I feed them. Personally, the cz-52 feels a little awkward, you can really feel the length of the cartridge in the grip. If you're looking to tinker (gasp), one advantage of the Tokarev is that it's a Browning 1911 at heart, and most of the tips/dvds/tricks for the .45 will apply. The aftermarket slide release for the CZ-52 is nice, but the Tokarevs come with them.

I have not met an added-for-importation-safety on a Tokarev that I felt was safer than not having one. Gritty at best, floppy at worst, and a general PITA.

If possible, handle them both and pick the one that just feels right. If that's both of them....well that's how collections start.

Quote Originally Posted by Portholio View Post
    I have not met an added-for-importation-safety on a Tokarev that I felt was safer than not having one. Gritty at best, floppy at worst, and a general PITA.
    I like the safety on mine..
    It's tight enough and actually kind of 'clicks' into place but disengages easily ( but not accidently).
    I know this is probably the exception to the rule..

I would get the M57 but you had better make sure you get all thet hard cosmo out of it. Boil it if you have to than OIL it good after its dry.
    If Guns Make People Kill, Then Pencils Misspell Words, Cars Make Poeple Drive Drunk, And Spoons And Forks Make People Fat !

Self Defense Is The Most Basic Human Right.