Thread: Firefield PU Sniper Scope and Base for $134

Default Firefield PU Sniper Scope and Base for $134

Got this in the mail yesterday, In the past the Firefield scopes looked more like SVT scopes but this looks just like a PU scope, no maker marks on the scope but the optics look clear, has the correct 53.5 mm hole spacing on the mount, the mount is cast steel and comes with screws and pins and of course is all made in China. I bought this from Sportsman's Guide for $134 and I guess the real test will be to see how it holds up under use. Perhaps the Chinese could start cranking out T-53s again?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resized_100_0863.JPG   resized_100_0864.JPG   resized_100_0865.JPG  

Looking forward to a review! I've considered picking up a repro scope or two, for hard use. I saw these, but wasn't sure what to think of them. So, I'm anxious to see your results, especially with the scope, itself.

John

I have a quality PU repro scope made in Russia from Westrifle in Canada, as well as one from Accumount.
    The Chinese ones seem somehow to just be wrong for rescoping real ex-snipers, but that's just my view -sort of like putting a Chinese scope on a Garand.

The rifle will have an Accumounts mount with the scope shown above, if it fails I can always get one of the more pricey repros, the Chinese after all, made many Mosins so I don't think it's that much of a stretch.

Well, since you have an Accumounts base, I can't complain in the least as I have put those on myself.

I too would like to know how it holds up (review?)

Still having the bolt bent, so will be a little while longer before I head to the range with it. Am going with a Max Shepard bolt.

I'm also anxiously waiting for a review.
    Anyone know if that firefield PU scope could fit on the M40 Tokarev scope mount sold by Numrich?
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...040&catid=8786

Quote Originally Posted by JB25 View Post
    I'm also anxiously waiting for a review.
    Anyone know if that firefield PU scope could fit on the M40 Tokarev scope mount sold by Numrich?
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...040&catid=8786
    It's not an SVT pattern scope, so my quess would be "no".

ETA: Or, at least not the way it's supposed to fit.

John

The earlier Firefield scoops looked like SVT scopes, the newer ones look like straight PU scopes, The locking screws are a joke, very small, although the regular mounting screws seem fine, they are coarse thread. If working with this mount and pinning it you have to purchase at least one set of screws and pins from Accumounts, since the kit comes with one very short pin and one normal length pin. Would advise using the longer pin provided for the front of the mount and getting another longer pin for the rear of the mount. And if you buy the screw and pin set you can have normal looking locking screws.

OK, the mounting is complete. These scopes and mounts can be used with the Fairfield base supplied (screws are coarse thread 6.0 x 1) or the Accumounts base. Whatever base you use you will have to use their screws, the threads on the locking screws are incompatible. The scope has a slightly smaller diameter than other ones so if you want to use a different mount you will need something to take up the space in between the scope and the mount. The optics on the scope are incredibly clear and bright, will get to the range sometime this week and post again.

I purchaced one of these scopes and im unable to lock the windage and elevation knobs by tightening the screws on top. Have you had this problem with yours? Because mine one I get it sighted in there is no way that I know of to keep the knobs from turning

I was under the impression that there was no way to "lock" the adjustments on any PU scope. That said, am waiting for my bent bolt to come back before I can try it.

Quote Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
    I purchaced one of these scopes and im unable to lock the windage and elevation knobs by tightening the screws on top. Have you had this problem with yours? Because mine one I get it sighted in there is no way that I know of to keep the knobs from turning
    Those screws lock the number plates, not the actual turret. It's designed to be easily adjustable without tools after zeroing.

e/ That is, unless these scopes use a different system. They don't appear to, though.
    Last edited by rossmum; 03-01-2012 at 04:36 AM.

Any word on the range report of the scope. I'm new here but am thinking of getting this set for my nagant to build a sniper clone..

I just looked thru one my buddy mounted for a customer at his shop. I watched the crosshairs as he moved the windage knob and they seemed to move in an arc somewhat resembling a speedometer hand. Cant imagine trying to zero one of these things. Your mileage may vary but no thanks Ive seen enough. They arent in the Belarus- Russian clones class.

Well nothing really has been posted yet on whether a yay or nay so i ordered one and i'll mount it up and see what is does. I know i got a good shooter to start with so i'll add the scope and try and post a range report with pics.