Default Winchester Model 70 in 30-06

I inherited a 1979 Winchester Model 70 XTR in 30-06 from my wife's uncle. It has a cheap Tasco scope but good looking hi-rise mounts.

What interests me me is the lack of a mag floor plate on this model. One would think that such a thing might be a good idea given the large size of the cartridge, but on this rifle there is only stock-wood where a floor plate belongs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win Model 70 001.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	485299Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win Model 70 002.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	485300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win Model 70 003.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	485301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win Model 70 004.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	485302

I spent about 2 hrs on the internet trying to find out about this model, but in nearly every image there is a floor plate.

Any ideas about his? Was this some kind of hybrid or maybe a special run?

Thanks all.

I don't know about the floor plate deadwood but that is one beautiful rifle!
    I'm always looking for rare varieties of 9x18 ammunition.

It must have been restocked. I have a 1978 XTR in 308 with the floor plate.

Sorry to say but this is not a special production run and it doesnt have a custom stock. The stock is Winchester manufacute. Just a blind magazine model 70. These were a few dollars less expensive was all. Find an old Winchester catalog for this year or an old gun digest to find out about it.

I agree. These(no drop floorplate models) were around as Remingtons as well and 2 buddies' recent Savages are a cheaper one with blind mag.

Checked Blue Book O gun values. Yours is a Model 70A with blind magazine. Value is at least $400 if in good shape

Thanks to all for the info.

Default Safety first notation!

I also concur that you have the sightly less expensive blind magazine edition of the Model 70 of the era. Yet t hese were quality rifles and you can be proud of your acquisition. I add one particularly important point. Your rifle features what is termed a "three position safety". There positions are: A. LOCKED. Here the trigger cannot be activated to discharge the rifle and the bolt is also locked to prevent cycling. B. READY TO FIRE. This is at the opposite reach of the safety lever with all systems at the ready. C TRIGGER LOCKED & BOLT UNLOCKED. There is an intermediate position that has a particularly important function on your rifle. On blind magazine models, extracting unfired rounds from the magazine is typically performed by cycling them through the action (chambering, firing position & ejecting). The intermediate safety position should always be utilized in performing such unloading operation. This position locks the trigger to prevent discharge while allowing the bolt to cycle, thus enabling the removal of the live rounds with far greater safety. While this does not substitute for also keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, it is an important safety step.

Yeah Iskra I remember the XTR line seemed a bit more refined than that of mine. Mine was made in 73 and the bluing was awful back then. Trigger pull also.