Thread: Helwan 9mm

Default Helwan 9mm

A friend of mine has a boxed, unfired, 9mm Helwan with extra mags and accessories for sale. It was imported by Steyr, Seacaucus, NJ with Arabic writing on it. What is the approx. value of this gun in unfired condition? Serial number on this gun is S 0006.

Hello MPKILLS. The Helwan has a so-so rep. Some good, some are bad. I think there were some older posts on here about them and which ones were good etc. They're alright for an occasional shooter. If I found one new in the box I'd buy it. I'm not sure about where you'd find extra mags though. Hope this helps.

SPKILLS,

Are you asking its value because you are interested in buying it from your friend, or is he just curious about its value. Are you interested in a shooter, or a collectors piece?
    TOM

Definitely do a forum search for Helwan, lots of information there.

I want to buy the pistol but he wants $400 for it, seems kinda high to me!

Based on info from previous threads, the Arabic script would seem to indicate to me that it might be worth buying. As opposed to the later commercial models, which are shite.

But not at that price. Not even close.

MPKILLS,
    As mentioned above, the Helwan has a dubious reputation. Nearly all the ‘bad’ guns were produced in the 1990’s as a commercial product, mainly for the U.S.A. These guns were manufactured with no Arabic script or Arabic serial numbers. An unknown percentage of the ‘commercial’ Helwan’s have poor quality control issues, mainly stemming from improper heat-treating of the slide and locking-block. The improper heat-treatment will cause the slide to bow, and/or the locking-block to peen itself—or break, to the point that the pistol will lock-up---sometimes in as little as 10 rounds. By no means does every commercial Helwan have this issue, as many people here have put thousands of rounds through their ‘commercial’ Helwan’s, which helps keep these nice shooting guns cheap.
    Now, your friends Steyr Daimler Puch imported Helwan is a different story. It most-definitely should be a military/police version (with Arabic writing) and should be in almost excellent condition. Steyr Daimler Puch was the first importer to import the Helwan in 1982 (along with the first AKM variants of Red Dawn fame). There were not many imported in that first batch, but they all should be very sound firearms. As for price, the fact that it is a Steyr Daimler Puch import makes it a collector’s item. But what premium one can put on a Steyr import is tough to say. I would think $400 would be reaching the top end of the spectrum. I guess it all depends on what you want it for----shooter, or collector?? If you want a shooter, you can find a good to very good Arabic marked Helwan on the auction sites from time to time. Most sell for around $250 – depending on condition. Most of them will be later Navy Arms imports. But, Steyr imported guns are a very rare breed…. So, you’ll always have a nice collector’s piece if you get it. Take him $300 and see what he does….
    TOM

One thing to watch on the Helwan is the screw that holds the barrel locking block, they have a habit of coming loose. That screw coming loose can break the barrel locking block. I had mine come loose and caused problems but it did not break the barrel locking block. I put it back together and it seems fine, but I have not taken it out since. I love my Hewlan it is a older one my Dad gave me.

There are some after market magazines available but not always easy to find
    If you think gun control is the answer, look what happened in Australia when they banned all hand guns in 1996? NEW LINK! 8/3/2013
    Try here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4tS0DGDf0I
    or here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyS3CEIbpJo

English Warning "Our Gun Ban caused 40% jump in Gun Crime" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTyCD2n6HAQ

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Thanks for the great info guys. I offered him $300 and I now have a nice pistol. Not sure if I should fire it though???

It's should be good to shoot if it has the Arabic writing.

they won't bring more than $150...$175.....but only owned two for trade..others bought them in our group .....not a easy sale...wouldn't even tie my money up in this day of tight money.....
    but if importers names start bring more money?... than it may get higher prices and maybe higher marks in quality?
    but i wouldn't think so.....\

my thinking is this :
    if a manufacture doesn't get it right on its own? as long as those low quality one's were manufactured and we have all have seen.....
    i don't think they have the set up, mind set to change.....or the will power for some reason?

unless Steyr took over the factory quality checking AND I HAVE NOT SEEN this IN WRITING OR a good working example....

with sights that come off, reports of trigger problems, feeding, ejecting problems at the range.....accuracy real bad....well problematic guns are not interesting....only fine working very accurate guns.... leave you feeling good about ownership!

new and you want it $275.....better yet.... if a trade and little cash could be initated.....making money on your own guns lower initial investment....
    GOD<><SAVE THE CONSTITUTION / STATES RIGHTS><>NRA

DK,
    There’s a big difference between what the Helwan plant made for the Egyptian military/police, and what they made for the American consumer market. Some of the commercial Helwan’s that Century imported in the late ‘90’s are junk, but many are not. Those problematic commercial versions are not to be confused with the quality ‘earlier’ ex-military guns imported by Steyr and Navy Arms. Earlier commercial versions imported by Interams in Va are also (largely) of good quality. Your right, a commercial Helwan might fetch $150-175 in good condition. But a military version in excellent condition, with a box, extra mags, and part of the first imports to hit the U.S.-----$300 would be an easy sell.
    Tom

thanks your information is a good thing to know.....
    but the general thoughts around gun show here lumped them all into the same pile....most haven't experienced the better ones....so if even the better ones show up you could get it on the cheaper side of the price because of lack of knowledge!
    GOD<><SAVE THE CONSTITUTION / STATES RIGHTS><>NRA