Default No. 4 Mk 1 and Mk 2 Wood Fit??

I know a Mk 1 forestock will not fit a Mk 2 rifle. But will a Mk 2 forestock fit on a Mk 1?

Thanks,

Default Re: No. 4 Mk 1 and Mk 2 Wood Fit??

mcgintyinmaine,
    The quick answer is 'sort-of' no. A true Mk 2 stock has no cutout in the stock for the "cut off" boss. However, all of the reworks (Mk 1/2 and Mk 1/3) do have that cutout, so their stocks would fit. Early Mk 2's may have also had that boss.
    I also do not know if the reinforcing screw will fit. Without it, the back end of the Mk 1/2, 1/3 and Mk 2 stock will be poorly supported and may cause trouble.
    Mk 1 wood should be readily available.

Peter in CA

I just did one a couple weeks ago and it works fine. It seems to shoot accurately, although I am still tweaking since I changed out the rear sight, front sight, fore stock and complete bolt all at the same time. I am not too worried about the open back area vs. more wood there since that area is often cracked anyway on a Mk1 from oil soaking or poor seasoning - sometimes on unfired rifles. I don't think there is any real support difference from a Mk2 and it can't crack since there is nothing to crack.

PS the transverse screw fits fine on my hybrid with no binding.
    Last edited by rgl3945; 01-23-2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: I forgot-

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I had two Mk II stock sets and no Mk II rifle. Why waste a good stock just because I don't have the rifle. Went to a local gun store... and there was sitting a sporterized Mk II in excellent shape... matching bolt... and a cut up stock. It was meant to be and $125.00 later I am the owner of a Mk II. When I am done, I need some barrel bands, rear butt swivel and a front sight hood, I will post before and after pictures. Thanks again for the help.

wish i knew about the stocks like you did, before i rushed my actions, my Mk1/2 stock broke at the retaining screw, bought a Mk1 stock not knowing the difference (new to enfields at the time) and found myself S.O.L. ......live and learn

bought a Mk1 stock not knowing the difference (new to enfields at the time) and found myself S.O.L. ......live and learn
    If that was recently and you still have it I have another Mk2 stock I could trade for your Mk1 stock.