Question Hungarian FEG SA 85 M going price?

Hey i was at a local gun shop looking at the usual for me. sks,ar-15,ak types rifles
    When i noticed one particular AK that is definitly not found everyday around here.
    It was a KBI INC. imported FEG hungarian SA 85M. The dealer said he recieved the gun recently
    from a trade.I have researched the SA 85M rifles and they really seem to be rare and a high qaulity
    stamped reciever AK rifle.This gun looks to be in very good condition on all the metal and the bore looked bright
    and shiny,the wood looked good although the buttstock seemed to have a couple of cracks in it, the forearm
    looked very good and had the typical AK slack/rattle. My question is what would the max cash price i could
    get for it if i can trade some guns and get this awesome looking rifle? below is a picture i took of the rifle.
    Any info would be greatly appeiciated on the current going cash price of this rifle.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by js380; 02-02-2012 at 01:17 AM.

KBI is gone. FEG is gone. Kinda hard to price since some people will just see civi akm, others might pay extra because it is FEG.

True, i was just wondering what people have been paying for them lately.
    All i have read is great reviews on this rifle.

The excellent to as new condition FEG's seem to fetch in the $550 to $625 range.
    Your specimen looks to have been refinished and stained furniture. Romanian sling.
    Not sure but I'd guess in the $450 to $475 range. Though all AK prices seem to be trending upward despite the economy.

you have to worry about 922 rules since it got imported with thumb-hole stock
    If you can get it for less than $500, is a good deal

Looks to have chinese wood on it which might explain the looseness of the handguard. No one has changed out the FSB or gas block, the black finish could be original (they were sort of glossy black). I'd say $500 or there abouts, I would look into how 922r was done and decide if that adds value or detracts from it.
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

Im pretty sure the black finish is the original finish and its in very good shape.
    As for the forarm/hand guard and the buttstock, i would guess it is some sort of staind american set, and an american made
    magazine would be the parts to make this guns 922 compliant.Do you guys think it would sell
    pretty quick for $550.00 plus shipping if im able to make a trade on here or maybe locally at a gun show in kentucky?

Thanks

Are you trying to own the rifle or buy for resale? Your posts are not clear. The rifle is not in original condition and has some issues with fitment and possible 922r. Not a bad little project rifle but not a high dollar specimen. You will find that getting any actual Hungarian furniture will run in the $125 - $150+ range either original or Ironwood. If you just want it as a "nice AK" with any furniture etc,., then the $450 range will get you a ghood shooter and maybe only the $15 USA mag and a $30 FCG for compliance etc.
    Converting to original SA85/AK63 would be more challanging & $$.
    Buying for $xx hoping to get $550, depends on actual condition, furniture fitment, 922r and so forth.

I would only be trading for the rifle to resale as im not needing a AK rifle at the moment.
    I would be trying to sale it for $550.00 + shipping the way it is if i did trade for the gun.
    The gun finish would be 85%-90% im my opinion. the forearm/handguard fit good with
    the common AK slack ive seen in lots of AK type rifles,the buttstock did have a couple of cracks
    i noticed in it.I figured the way the romanians have went up in price that this gun could fetch $550.00
    pretty fast, but thats why im asking you guys for advice before i make the deal.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by js380 View Post
    , i would guess it is some sort of staind american set, and an american made
    magazine would be the parts to make this guns 922 compliant.

I've been reading posts on this board for ten years now and one thing I wouldn't do is make 922 decisions based on guesses unless you are 100% certain this AK is legally compliant don't buy it

the potential for lots of legal problems against the potential for a couple of hundred dollars profit is (IMHO) not a risk worth taking

regrds

Richard

thanks for the input. How could i determine if the wood stock set iis american made or not?
    I was thinking that because it looks to have been stained that all marking are probably sanded off and
    not visible to determine country or origin on the wood.

thanks

thanks for the input. How could i determine if the wood stock set iis american made or not?
    I was thinking that because it looks to have been stained that all marking are probably sanded off and
    not visible to determine country or origin on the wood.

thanks
    I am not certain, I have never dealt with 922 issues, however, there might be necessary marks on the inside of the wood pieces. A lot of people have been doing conversions for years now and they would need to be able to show that they are using US made parts to comply with 922, so US manufacturers should put some kind of mark to show that the part is US made.

yes i understand what your saying about US markings. I am just thinking that any US markings may have been sanded off or staind
    over on the wood furniture. I do know that an american made buttstock and dandguard/forearm along with an american mag would make the gun
    922 compliant, its just being able to determine if the wood still has any US markings still or not.Does anyone know if the wood HAS to have US marks
    visible on it?

I seem to recall these came in with blonde colored wood and a thumbhole stock, I wouldn't give more than $550 for it.

thats what i was going to sell it for if i trade for it.i have some ammo and a few other items that
    the dealer wants, and he offered this rifle for them.

yes i understand what your saying about US markings. I am just thinking that any US markings may have been sanded off or staind
    over on the wood furniture. I do know that an american made buttstock and dandguard/forearm along with an american mag would make the gun
    922 compliant, its just being able to determine if the wood still has any US markings still or not.Does anyone know if the wood HAS to have US marks
    visible on it?
    I said, on the inside, the side of the hand guards facing the gas tube.

The stock set looks very Chinese to me, is the grain of the wood open and large like you see on SKS stocks? Even if there's some concern over 922r all you have to do is remove the pistol grip till you can get it home and figure it out (completely legal without the grip without USA parts). If the seller can't point out the USA parts I would use that to knock off $50-75 since you can figure you may have to add them.

The FEG is a great design, it is one of the best AKM variants going, head and shoulders above the WASR. IMO they are well worth a premium over a WASR even if you have to add USA parts, a bayonet lug and new FSB to hold a cleaning rod (if so desired). One thing to remember is a FEG receivered AMD right now is a $400 rifle at many places, while the SA is probably thought of as a more rare better shooter by most, if the above concerns are too much you might want to just save the money and get the AMD65.

thanks for the tip mriddick, I will try to get a picture of the wood grain.Im not sure if its like the SKS stocks or not.
    You can really see and feel a quality difference with these rifles compared to any other stamped AK's i have handled.
    See the way i look at it is im not paying cash ill actually be trading some items ive been meaning to sell/trade anyway.
    I just wanna be able to get $550.00 out of it the way it is.Also wiith your tip on the pistol grip removal i can
    be legal when i do sell it locally or ship to a FFL IF the stock set is NOT US made correct?

Thanks

Removing the pistol grip takes it from needing to comply with 922r to not, it's sort of odd but it's the addition of the separate PG that makes it need to meet the 10 or less foreign parts count rule to begin with. USA compliance isn't too hard to do or expensive, a $40 G2 FCG (3 parts) and a USA mag (3 parts) would get you there for around $50 with one extra part then you need wih that rifle...of course of the idea is to run OEM mags then you'll have to look at 2 others parts (say a pistol grip and piston).

Thats good info for sure, I will probably make the trade and see if i can then determine the wood origin.
    Either way i think it is a sweet rifle that i can sale pretty quick locally or online the way it is for $550.00.
    Now that i know by removing the pistol grip it would be legal to sale and ship if needed to a FFL. So guys if
    i end up making the trade i may list it on here as well if i don't sale it local first.

Thanks for the advice!