Default Inland M1 Carbine, 1943 barrel

Guys, :wave:
    I just picked up an M1 Carbine from the Inland MFG division of General Motors. :D

The barrel date is 8/1943.:thup:

The serial number is: 627,997 on the receiver. I have a number of features I wish to display.
    1. Where did this rifle come from? Sometimes the stock markings are a dead giveaway... I recently purchased it. Did this possibly come from SA or Asia?
    2. What features are "original" to this rifle, with the stated serial number range. As known, these have gone through multiple rebuilds.... which are difficult to undo. I am just curious and look forward to any clarifications... My reference book is from the 1980's.... and I believe much knowledge has been gained since then.:help:
    3. What is the general opinion on refinishing or leaving the stock "as is". I believe the "tag" covers the arsenal cartouch... but don't believe there is anything left under it to "save".
    Now onto some photos!
    Here is the stock, and various cartouches and marks...

This photo has a cear IO mark on this portion of the stock.:thup:

This number is the serial number on the receiver.
    Now onto the barrel... it is marked "Century Arms" as being a recent import....
    "P" mark on barrel

"X" mark on topside of barrel:

Various marks on underside of barrel:

The buttplate is marked:

Which just happens to be the tag tacked onto the stock..
    Here is the bayonet lug...

The AI almost appears to be double stamped.
    Now onto the triggerguard and FCG...

Most of the parts on your Carbine are a mix of updated and replacement parts from other manufacturers. The rear sight, barrel band and safety are all updated parts. You do have an Inland stock, Inland barrel (obviously) and what looks like and Inland front sight (I think I see a "SI" mark). The hammer is a post-war replacement. The trigger housing is IBM.

You will get varying opinions about refinishing the stock, but I think the rack number on the stock is pretty cool and indicative of its use. I wouldn't refinish it. Then again, I like old military guns to look old and like they were used.

How does it shoot?

I would keep that stock as part of its history, but probably put it in a better one for use/display. That is some "salty" wood.

Words Conquer!

If it was mine. I would strip the wood, but not sand it. Then refinish the wood not the metal. That would get rid of a lot of those scratchs and look better.

IIRC the last batch of carbine imports from Century was from South America. Which could explain the condition of the piece. However, a photo of the import mark might assist in determining if it's a "new" or old importation ........

I believe the carbines with numbers stamped into the stock as yours is were all imported from Israel.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

I would leave it as-is. That stock is sweet.