Default Stevens 520 Disassembly Help Needed...

I found a thread here that told me how to do the basic takedown but I need to take the trigger group out. When you pull the trigger it snaps and will fire but you cannot cycle the action without pushing the release button beside the trigger. I figure something is broken or stuck inside.

Looks like one or two screws on the right side and two screws on the left side need to come out. Is there a special sequence to taking these out and is there anything that going to go flying across the room if I remove the trigger group?

Any and all help appreciated.

Hank

The Texas Blackland Prarie between the Elm Fork and the East Fork of the Trinity River.

Go slowly. The last time I assembled a 520-30 I had to have another 520 nearby to figure the danged thing out. I'd never try it again personally.

Thanks...that's kind of what I'm thinking about there being a certain way things have to go back. The older guns were more of a one piece at a time than the modern "Modules" so to speak.

The shotgun belongs to a friend and he wanted to shoot it and maybe pass it on to someone in the family. It doesn't have to cycle correctly but it would be nice.

I have used the GunParts Corp. Numrich catalog because the Exploded view shows where everything goes.This saved me more then a few times!

manygunsmike
    Mike

Hi guys, new guy here. I just did a little write up on this a few days ago on another board. Here it is:
    After doing much searching on the web, and not finding any detailed instructions on the matter; I decided to write this little piece on how to disassemble one of these shotguns. Since I needed to strip one down, to give it a very good cleaning to remove a heavy accumulation of shooting residue developed over it's 80 something year lifespan, I decided to take a few pictures along the way. So here goes:
    First, make sure gun is unloaded, then move slide back with safety in the on position.Then grasp the ridges at the front of the magazine tube and turn the tube clockwise (as you would be looking down the barrel). Turn the tube until the 'keystone' of the magazine tube support withdraws itself fully from its notch in the receiver, and until it stops. At that point, push the barrel assembly gently downwards and the bottom of the receiver behind the ribbed barrel block gently upwards at the same time. The barrel assembly will slide down out of the receiver a short distance until it is stopped by contacting the action bar, inside the receiver. Then slide the forearm all the way forward, maintaining a grasp on the barrel assembly and receiver assembly as they should easily separate at this time. Push the barrel assembly down the rest of the way out of the receiver. This completes the 'takedown' of the gun into its two major components.

To dis assemble the receiver, start by removing the stock. This can be done by removing the screw, and gently pull apart.

Next, remove the trigger group. This can be done by removing pin from forward end, and the screw from the rear end. Then slide trigger group down out of receiver. I did this with ejection port facing down to keep slide lock mechanism intact during removal.

Next remove shell lifter. This can be done by removing the screw on right hand side of receiver. Before removing, look to make sure how everything is positioned for reassembly purposes.then slide down and out of receiver.

Next, remove bolt and bolt carrier. This is done by removing bolt stop screw (forward left side of receiver), then sliding parts forward out of receiver.

Man, what a hunk of steel!

Re-assemble by reversing order.