Thread: 8x57 Mauser with 180gr Nosler BT

Default 8x57 Mauser with 180gr Nosler BT

Does anyone happen to have a pic of one of their loaded rounds that I could use for comparison? I just reloaded some for my dad and they just dont look right. COAL is 3.245 on mine and it just looks long to me. I have zero experience with this round though. Someone who has a clue's pic of their loaded round would be very helpful.
    Thanks!
    I was miserable, then someone told me "smile and be happy, things could be worse". So I smiled and was happy...and they were right, things were worse!

Nosler lists Max. COAL as 3.250. As long as your round works through the magazine,and isn't jammed into the rifling, it should be ok.
    Oft, in the stilly night,
    Ere slumber's chain has bound me,
    Fond memory brings the light
    Of other days around me.

-Thomas Moore

Yeah.. thats sounds a 10th of a inch or two too long... Where did you get your load data? Does the round even fit in the magazine? Did you measure your chamber to see how far off the lands it sits? What OAL did the load data mention? Why did you sit the bullet out so far in the first place?

Almost all load books and reputable online load sites specifiy a OAL since that information is critical to keeping the pressure in limits with the type and ammount of powder and primer specified in the load data.

I would want to be very very sure everything was exactly right before I would let a loved one shoot any ammo I made.. you did right by coming here and asking your question.
    This post has been edited , vetted, and archived by the NSA.

Ammosgt, the overall length came from the Lyman reloading manual, which gives an overall maximum length of 3.250. The rifle is not on hand at the moment, just making a few rounds for my dad's old rifle right now. I hope to have it in hand tomorrow sometime. The K98 magazine length is supposed to be 3.315 so it shouldn't be a problem in that regard, as for the land engagement...no clue. I seated the bullet out to 2.245 simply based on the Lyman OAL of 2.250, I figured five thou under wouldn't hurt a thing. However just eyeballing the loaded round it just looks long to me, however that could be perfectly normal and I may just be paranoid lol. I was trying to see if anyone had a pet OAL with that bullet on here to ensure I wasn't screwing up. Not my first rodeo with reloading, just this round. Most of my "historical" rifle reloading was from across the other side of the channel, the 303. For the charge on these rounds, I am going with suggested minimum from the Lyman book and will work up from there if it needs it. Probably will not since my dad has a crap right shoulder.
    I was miserable, then someone told me "smile and be happy, things could be worse". So I smiled and was happy...and they were right, things were worse!

well, I am paranoid ... it's double double check with me.. If the specs say 3.25, and it fits the mag, and is off the lands, it may just be the shape of the ogive that make the OAL so long.

Thats the way I am leaning too. I guess I will give one a try in the rifle tomorrow and see how it feeds.

If this is for somebody with a bum shoulder... maybe some cast lead and a cat sneeze load, or the magic load, or the universal load, or just "The Load"

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch...hp/t-5503.html

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34588

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=4109

It is a heck of a lot cheaper, almost no recoil, still fun to shoot out to 100 yards, and often much quieter... I use "The Load" when bringing kids into big bore and milslurp shooting , or a similar light load behind some 125 grain jacket bullets.

As I often advocate folks don't have to max out old milslurps to get them to penetrate paper at 200 yards .. I guess i should put in a plug for old shooters shooting milslurps.. for those with too much pride to confine themselves to 22's when the body gives out... some folks with arthritis and bursitis and similar problems can wear themselves out just hefting and holding old 8-9 pound milslurps when a 6 pound 22 would be fine... but anyway.. take away some or most of the recoil and you can keep folks with limitation in the game and shooting sports with their favorite rifle without making it painful or making their condition worse.

The biggy here is striping the bore of all copper fouling before shooting cast lead and then re-stripping the bore of all lead fouling before going back to copper jackets. That's why I mention the 125 grain jacketed rounds.

Just a thought...

Default 180 gr BsT

Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
    Does anyone happen to have a pic of one of their loaded rounds that I could use for comparison? I just reloaded some for my dad and they just dont look right. COAL is 3.245 on mine and it just looks long to me. I have zero experience with this round though. Someone who has a clue's pic of their loaded round would be very helpful.
    Thanks!
    Not quite Nosler BT, but Nosler BT (Silvertip/lubalox). I load to a length that is about 1mm off the lands, still fits in magazine.

That is an awesome photograph... and about the shiniest brass I have ever seen... impressive.

OK, looks just like the ones I loaded...well with the exception of the pristinely shiny brass haha. Thanks for that.

Ammosgt, I appreciate the links to the cast loads, casting isn't something I am interested in getting into at this point.

I understand... but actually I was thinking more along the lines of just buying some 10 cent already cast .323-.324 cast bullets in the 170-200 grain range and using 4-5 cents worth of the powders mentioned, and adding in a 2-3 cent primer .. and have very low recoil accurate ammo for about 18 cents that somebody with a bum shoulder could shoot comfortably. Other than belling the case mouth a little, like you would a pistol round, nothing different on how you load the rounds and no additional labor or complications.

Shooting a rifle that hurts you is no fun and can cause you to develope a flinch..... I'm no wimp, I can do a couple hundred 7.62 x54 milslurp without a pad and not feel it... but I download for my No5 Mk 1's with that tiny and often hard and weathered little jungle style butt pad, and K 98's I need to rig with a cheek pad to get a good sight picture and weld or suffer cheek slap .. Just one woman's opinion, but shooting full load heavy ball with sore shoulder is like doing martial arts with a concussion, ain't gonna be fun and it ain't gonna help what ails ya.

I know this is absolutely none of my business and off on a bit of a tangent from the original topic... but one of the beauties of reloading is you can make the perfect round for almost any situation. Keeping the elderly in the sport , even with some of the aches and pains that come with age is one of them (or you spry young folk with an injury), and in my experience, often gratefully received for the act of thoughtfulness and impressive for the technical prowess that it shows.

If you want accuracy, reloading is only part of the equation.. modifying the rifle, if only temporarily with lace on or slip on pads so the the pull fits the shooter and a good weld and a good sight picture can be achieved is also part or achieveing maximum accuracy. Loading the round so the shooter can control the weapon is as important as picking the right bullet with the right characteristics for the job it is going to be asked to do.

I sure hope none of this offends anyone, because I certainly mean no offense. Just seen too many smiles and tears from folks who thought they had to pack it in for one reason or another, only to be offered a solution that kept them in the game.
    Last edited by AmmoSgt; 12-22-2011 at 01:52 PM.

I appreciate the feedback Ammosgt. The problem is that the elderly in play in this situation is not a shooter to speak of other than plinking armadillos digging up his flowerbeds. He inherited that rifle along with a few others from my deceased uncle and just wants to have some loaded rounds for it. He was asked if he wanted some plinking stuff for the range or hunting rounds, his response was that he wanted to be able to do both...
    I am also in the process of reloading about 400 30 carbine cases for him too. I am fairly well doubting if any of them will ever actually be fired. Most likely I will inherit the rifles and ammo too one of these days. So true to form I just popped together some decent rounds for whatever he wanted to do with them, I have had great luck with the NBT's in several other calibers before so I figured they would probably be good in the 8mm too. If he ever expends them I might chase down some cast projectiles if he ever tells me he wants to shoot the thing. Now, one of these days when I get my grubby hands on that K98 I will be chasing some down for sure...love shooting those things!