Thread: European shotgun ammo

Default European shotgun ammo

Has anyone experienced problems when using Euro. shotgun shells with the brass-plated steel heads? I have some slugs and buck from the Rio (Spain) and Nobelsport (Italy) brands that I bought for testing in my Persuader.

Brass-Plated Steel heads for Shotshells is now just about the world wide industry standard (except for those who use unplated plain steel.)
    I have recycled 100s of 1000s of Once-fired Euro cases, and except for the occasional "rust spots" at the forward edge of the metal, no problems ( cases fell onto dewy grass at club). Obviously the Clay Club members have no problems either, as they fire 100s of 1000s of (Euro) cases monthly here in Australia ( my usual collection from a single club is 30,000 to 50,000 cases a Month.) The Majority of cases are "European" ( Rieffenhauser) and with metal heads from very low, to very high, in Brass plated, Zinc plated and Nickel Plated steel. US cases we get in Plain Steel are Federal and some Remington and Winchester. Others are in brass-plated Steel...Winchester has not used pure Brass since the early 1980s.

RIO ( UEE now MAXAM) of Spain are High quality cvases (Thicker Tube), and the "Nobel" type made in Italy are also equivalent to Fiocchi etc.
    One must remember that a lot of European "brands" are simply Case Fillers, and Buy in their Shells from large Makers of both Cases and Loaded ammo ( RIO, Fiocchi, are some of the Major Case and Loaded manufacturers) Even Winchester buys some of its shells from Italian Case Makers, and Eley (UK) buys from RIO. All the Aussie Shotshell fillers buy from Italy or Spain. (Shells, Primers and even Powders).

Regards,
    Doc AV

My Saiga .410 wont shoot Rio ammo. My pumps all love the euro shells.

my mossber won't extract centurion but my saiga will

Are you talking about a model 500, mr44?

Centurion is made in Italy as well. So should I assume NobelSport use the same hulls?

Yes, just about everyone now uses brass-plated steel (or zinc-plated steel) headed hulls, Winchster's HS, Federal's All-Plastic and the current High Power, the Remington Unibody/Gun-Club series.......

You have to go back to the 1980's or before to the AA, the Gold Medal Plastic, the Polyformed, to have much luck with solid brass (Current Fed. and I think the Rem. 10-bore stuff is just brass according to my book I looked in (trying to remember the Rem.).

noblesport in my o/u excellent....not tried the others
    GOD<><SAVE THE CONSTITUTION / STATES RIGHTS><>NRA

I have used most of the Euro brands in my Wife's Benelli (Euro brand!) shotgun with no problems what so ever.

She prefers the Nobelsport to USA brands.
    "Saigon Tea, 60 P, you no buy you di di DI!"

Anecdote...while loading Italian Centurion slugs into a magazine, one round looked funny. It seems that instead of the usual sequence of powder, wad, slug, this particular round is loaded with wad first, then slug, then powder. I guess the semi-transparent hulls do serve a useful purpose.
    I have never had a dud or any issue with U.S. made shotshells. Maybe U.S. manufacturer quality control is higher, so they are confident enough to use non-transparent hulls for all loads.

Euro shells are as good as any others...and often very good value,especially the clay target loads.Only QC issue I have seen in recent years,was on a box of 20 ga shells which are stamped on the head as 16.Does Winchester Australia not still load the AA shells,with compression formed cases?.I thought they still did.

Winchester Compression Formed "AA" cases went Out about 2002-3. Since then ( even before) Winchester Australia has been Loading in Italian-made Reiffenhauser cases (Probably Fiocchi) and have only lately 2009-2010 started making a One-Piece extruded Shell using a new Plastic, the "slippery" stuff like Zytel. Colours metallic Grey, Black and Red. Metal base is Low, Brass Plated steel.

Regards,
    Doc AV