Default 7.62x25 reloading data with Lee dies

Anyone tried some of these loads, that came with the die set?

Have you compared them to Accurate Arms Big Red Book (aka reloading manual #1)?

I've thought about reloading for my Tok, but it seems like to much work to find all of the brass

Is that picking up the fired brass or buying new? Without a cover the grass where I shoot seems to eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstuffer View Post
    Have you compared them to Accurate Arms Big Red Book (aka reloading manual #1)?
    No. Don't have it.

I mean finding the doggone brass after I launch it into the atmosphere

I believe you can access the AA data online.................................

There seems to be a problem with Lee Loaders not centering the bullet in 7.62x25. I was considering doing it so I googled it, and there were a couple of sites where people had real problems getting it to center...as in "I through those damned Lee dies out the window". The conclusion was, "any dies but Lee".

Quote Originally Posted by BobM1919 View Post
    I believe you can access the AA data online.................................
    Yes, you can.

Quote Originally Posted by beauco View Post
    There seems to be a problem with Lee Loaders not centering the bullet in 7.62x25. I was considering doing it so I googled it, and there were a couple of sites where people had real problems getting it to center...as in "I through those damned Lee dies out the window". The conclusion was, "any dies but Lee".
    Probably using a flat-faced seater stem to seat a round-nosed bullet.

Use a die with a round-nosed style seater stem to seat round bullets.

Flat faced stems are for wadcutters, period. Not Semi-wadcutters, just wadcutters, and on rare offacions certain Hollowpoint profiles..

I reload 7,62x25 with the Lee dies. No issues to speak of. The tokarev round isn't the simplest to load, but with modest attention it isn't hard to make either. It would be nice to have a Lee FCD though. The Lee loading data hasn't been useful to me; I use unique powder which works fine. Biggest hassle in the whole process is finding spent brass...usually winds up in the next county.

Thank you everyone! I did access the AA data, but there was no 7.62 listed. No big deal, my local shop has the AA powder, so soon I will develop some loads. Also H-110 is to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Belisarius View Post
    Thank you everyone! I did access the AA data, but there was no 7.62 listed. No big deal, my local shop has the AA powder, so soon I will develop some loads. Also H-110 is to try.
    Every reason to have more load data sources.

It is not on everyone's "radar", not everyone makes data for 7.62 Tokarev.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstuffer View Post
    Probably using a flat-faced seater stem to seat a round-nosed bullet.

Use a die with a round-nosed style seater stem to seat round bullets.

Flat faced stems are for wadcutters, period. Not Semi-wadcutters, just wadcutters, and on rare offacions certain Hollowpoint profiles..

So what seater stem do YOU use on Semi-wadcutters? If not Flat, then you use the round nosed style? Have you found a "semiwadcutter" seating stem?

I use flat seaters on all "flat nosed bullets", ie.... Wadcutters, semiwadcutters AND hollow point pistol bullets. For sure the Round nose seater is not propper, and I just
    don't find a "semiwadcutter or Hollow Point" seater made for the many different profiles of these type bullets.

I find the flat seater trues them up just fine when seating.
    Last edited by ammolab; 12-28-2011 at 03:47 PM.
    "Saigon Tea, 60 P, you no buy you di di DI!"

Quote Originally Posted by ammolab View Post
    So what seater stem do YOU use on Semi-wadcutters? If not Flat, then you use the round nosed style? Have you found a "semiwadcutter" seating stem?

I use flat seaters on all "flat nosed bullets", ie.... Wadcutters, semiwadcutters AND hollow point pistol bullets. For sure the Round nose seater is not propper, and I just
    don't find a "semiwadcutter or Hollow Point" seater made for the many different profiles of these type bullets.

I find the flat seater trues them up just fine when seating.
    Yes, I use the round-nosed seater stem on SWC's (have since the late 1990's), RN, and JHP, in both .45 Auto and 9mmPara.

I get good reliable OAL's, I get good straight bullets, no problems.

I don't HAVE a flat-stem in either of my Lee sets for those cartridges and the flat-faces seater for my Hornady "All Purpose .45" (Auto, Auto Rim, and Colt) has never been installed in the die.

Just thought to check, Lapua has some data, but, it's for Vhitavouri powders of course.....

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/rel.../relodata/6/37

Are you talking about the original Lee Loader or just Lee Dies. I didn't think Lee loaders were ever made for the 7.62x25. Many people give a bad rep to Lee equipment. Most are the ones that have not read the instructions fully, or abuse the equipment.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEJ1990TM View Post
    Well, all right. Maybe just this once.

I don't know what they did wrong. Most of the comments were about dies. I use a Lee with Lee dies and have never had a problem. But, I haven't tried 762x25. It stands to reason that a bottleneck cartridge with round nose bullet would take more care but it's hard to imagine that Lee would release a die set that was as delicate as some have reported.

I don't know what they did wrong. Most of the comments were about dies. I use a Lee with Lee dies and have never had a problem. But, I haven't tried 762x25. It stands to reason that a bottleneck cartridge with round nose bullet would take more care but it's hard to imagine that Lee would release a die set that was as delicate as some have reported.
    +1
    IMHO, the problem often isn't with Lee dies, it's with the operator. The 762x25 brass will crumple if a heavy hand is used to seat the round into an improperly expanded mouth or crumple during crimping. Basic stuff. The round can also seat off-axis if care isn't taken. I've used the Lee set for this for around 3-4 years, and after a ham-handed start, have had no problems. Reloading is easier than finding commercial ammo.

When loading toks I went with the lee FCD die. It is VERY easy to crumple the case without it. The neck is so short it is very hard to get a good crimp without it. That is why lots of milsurp ammo is stab crimp. I reload using cast WW and lees 100gn bullet for a 32. I ended up sizing at .309 and use 10.3 grains of h110. Very accurate load using starline brass from midway. We set up a outside screened tent when shooting at our private range. Everyone shoots inside the tent and all the brass stays inside. We usually have a nice pile of fired brass after a weekend shoot!

I have been loading the nearly identical 7.63 Mauser using Lee dies and I have not had a single problem like this so far.

Finally put it all together and shot some reloads. 9.0 gr. of AA9 with 100 gr. Speer plinkers/http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballist...ail.aspx?id=78/. The velocity was just under 1250 fps. out of a CZ52 with great accuracy and zero hiccups. Definitely a mild load with soft recoil.

I'm no expert and I have only been in the loading game from 1995 but I think you need stronger thicker brass. My Lee set has a cone seating stem. For brass I use Lake City militay it's thicker and stronger.

Cheers

Last edited by MJ; 05-14-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
    George Carlin