Thread: Martini Enfield

Default Martini Enfield

I won this one the other day. Done by Blenhiem engineering in 1900. Never seen one of this
    manufactureer before. Is it a very common maker.
    I know the metal has some pitting but since I don't have a martini enfield long rifle it's a start.
    And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

I notice a DP marking on the butt. Have you taken the forend woodwork off to check for a sawcut chamber?
    Blenheim Engineering were a successor to H.R.B.Co. They produced Martini Enfields from 1900 - 1902.

Quote Originally Posted by fred2892 View Post
    I notice a DP marking on the butt. Have you taken the forend woodwork off to check for a sawcut chamber?
    Blenheim Engineering were a successor to H.R.B.Co. They produced Martini Enfields from 1900 - 1902.
    The barrel isn't marked DP which leads me to beleive that is was dp'd when it was a martini henry. The rifle is from a estate
    and the guy said his father used to fire it I don't see no cut on barrel where hand gaurd is off.
    Guess I'll find out when I get it.
    And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Hi, nice find! Iíve never seen an intact Blenheim Engineering ME II before, although Iíve seen one that had been converted to .22 RF in the UK. If that Butt had been fitted to your rifle when it was converted wouldnít they have removed or struck through the DP stamp? Fred said that they had a contract from 1900 to 1902, it would be nice to know how many were converted, anyone?

The butt marked with the DP does not match the 1900 date so it would be a replacment,I would still give the rifle a good going over before shooting though,but I very much dought it not OK,alot of rifles were marked DP simply because they were out of date

I bought a bayonet from IMA that had DP painted all over the handle it appears the british wanted to make sure you knew it was out of service or outdated I hear they did all kinds of things to them makes you wonder why they didnt just destroy them instead.
    Last edited by galyc4; 12-30-2011 at 07:23 PM.
    Garry Lycos
    Dimondale, Michigan

Aside from unserviceable rifles, some were marked DP because they were obsolete in the service.

In Australia it is common to find very good and serviceable Martini Herry stamped UNSERVICEABLE in large letters on the butt stock