Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Salt Lake City,Utah
    Posts
    425

    Default 43 Spanish reloading

    I would like to start reloading the .43 Spanish, with cast 370 gr. bullets and SR4759 powder {older can of 4759}
    I would like to hear from a Remington rolling block owner that reloads. thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    370

    Default

    As an exercise in "let's see what we can do", I have reloaded for the .43 Spanish.

    Never used smokeless though, stuck to BP and it did not become a "daily driver" (as it were), shoot it once a year (maybe).

    What would you like to know, I'll answer if I can.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Salt Lake City,Utah
    Posts
    425

    Default

    sent you a e-mail...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South metro Atlanta area.
    Posts
    2,417

    Default

    My .42 Berdan uses the Spanish case or a reformed .348 Winchester. Like the previous, I also only use BP and am thrilled with the accuracy, smoke and smell of shooting. I shot a box of 20 yesterday (with my son and grand daughter also shooting it.)

    If you want to try BP, I can get you info and pointers. Dies are inexpensive - if you neck size only. I use .44special for nexk sizing and seating.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Salt Lake City,Utah
    Posts
    425

    Default

    sent you a e-mail....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    370

    Default

    My records show a 370 grain commercial hard cast lead round nose projectile.

    Goex ffg powder at 67 grains with an Ox Yoke "wonder wad" over the powder (this was added after the first shooting session to help keep the powder residue soft), standard large rifle primer.

    Cases made from .348 Winchester brass.

    The brass was converted using a set of expander plugs made from standard long shank machine bolts of progressively larger sizes with the threaded section cut off, shanks tapered and polished smooth.
    It was then trimmed to length and turned to size including rim diameter and thickness.
    It was finished off in a set of Lee dies.

    I used a bench mounted arbor press to expand the brass with the bolt expanders, I used RCBS lube on the dies to ease the expansion and die removal.
    During the forming process the cases were annealed.

    This weight of powder with the wad resulted in a slightly compressed load in this batch of brass.
    I never felt the need to up the load as with this projectile it shoots (more or less) to point of aim at 100 yards, also, given the vintage of the Remington and its overall condition I feel no need to push the envelope.

    This projectile is really to hard for this use but I have no inclination to take up casting so I'll just live with it.
    Understand that this firearm is not a "daily driver" but was just a "let's see if we can do it project".
    In the end we did get it done and made it work.

    Hope this helps.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •