Thread: 8x57 JR ?

Default 8x57 JR ?

I just came across some of this ammo, it is made by S&B. It is Soft Point, Number 2941 Weight: 12,7g 196grs. When I opened it (the box) it looked like 303 brit., but all of the other boxes where the same stuff. Can I pull the bullet and dump the powder in an 8mm case and reload it? Also can I shhot it out of a M48 Yugo? Any help a plus, I could not find any such load data for such round (8x57 JR ) in my Lee book.

BMO

Default shouldn't cause problems, according to some sources

This stuff (8x57 JR) was supposed to be loaded to essentially the same specs as standard rimless 8x57 J/JS, just built with a rim to facilitate use in single-shot sporting rifles primarily built and sold in Europe (according to Lyman's 48th). I can see no appreciable reason not to do what you've proposed (transferring components to rimless 8x57 brass).
    "A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing is important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's LIFE. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
    -Steve McQueen, 1970

The Second Amendment: Established 1789-1790; Under Seige since 1934

Thank you for the info/reply to my question. Once I have done my exchange "n" reload, I will have about 100+ of this 8X57 JR empty brass with S&B factory primers (live) still in the case(s). Do you know of a site that deals with this type of ammo? I would like to trade it for something and not just throw it away. Also, how would I ship it with the primers intact?

I just hate to throw good brass away, and if I can trade it for something even better.

BMO
    Last edited by BMO; 01-25-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Post it up on the Trader's Board, and ask a fair price for it. I'm sure there are some who would love to have this particular "oddball" caliber. However, before you pull it down, you may want to consider keeping some rounds complete. I have NO idea whatsoever concerning the rarity of this ammo, but there may be some looking for complete pieces.

EDIT: I'm sorry but my memory was mistaken (again) about the source of info concerning the JR-type cartridge. There was actually a very brief blurb about it on WikiPedia, NOT in the Lyman manual. Also, before transferring the bullets and powder over to your new brass, you may want to verify that it is matched to your groove diameter. Some are .318" and others (JS) are .323" Your JR cartridges may only be .318", which would be undersized in a standard .323" barrel.
    Last edited by Son of the Gun; 01-25-2008 at 02:37 PM.
    "A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing is important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's LIFE. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
    -Steve McQueen, 1970

The Second Amendment: Established 1789-1790; Under Seige since 1934

I'll try it out and see what size the bullet is, and thanks for the help. I'll take a box or 2 to the Costa Mesa gun show tomorrow, and try to wheel and deal with the reloader tables.

BMO

I thank thee who is in harms way in another nasty part of this world, so I may sleep safe in my bed tonight...

Just did a wee-bit of googling and from what I have found, it's a round for drilled rifles? New to me, but they appear to be in the .318 range. I just as well take the ammo with the boxes to the gun show and trade them for reloading components. Once again, Thanks

BMO

For the love Mike! Sell the ammo as it is, buy powder and brass! There are guys who would love that ammo INTACT. ~Andy

Quote Originally Posted by BMO View Post
    Just did a wee-bit of googling and from what I have found, it's a round for drilled rifles? New to me, but they appear to be in the .318 range. I just as well take the ammo with the boxes to the gun show and trade them for reloading components. Once again, Thanks

BMO
    They aren't "Drilled" rifles-they're DRILLINGS-this is a firearm w/3 barrels (Drei=3 in german).They're popular in german countries, usually 2 shotgun barrels(16 ga?) with a rifle beneath(8x57r).My old man had a matched pair & wanted to sell them to me many years ago for $300 before I was really collecting & I wasn't interested(Kick myself)

Default 8x57 JR

Your 8x57mm JR ammo is a treasure to owners of old European drillings. Don't destroy the loaded ammo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The bullet should be a 0.318 diameter too, as opposed to the more "modern" 8x57mm JRS which has the 0.323 bullet. Might want to mike the bullets to be sure. However, in the long run, your ammo is more valuable loaded than parted out.

Went to the gun show and swaped the ammo. I could not find anyone with that type of rifle(s), I got the "Oh Jim-so so usually has them, but he's not hear this time" story. Any how, I made a so-so trade for it. I tried to find some 7.62x38 but no dice! , and I really got to see the +p+ prices on all the ammo now days . Once again, thank you all for the info and help.

BMO

There is always someone who needs what you have, just not when you want to get rid of it. That is the way it is.