Default Holster question. Attn H&R 999 owners.

For all of you that own multiple revolvers including the Sportsman/999. What other revolvers are close in size/shape to a 6" 999? I am trying to find a left hand holster, combat type , leather. Can be concealed type or hip. Just need something less bulky than the old hunter holster I have. Thumb break is a plus. I am not concerned about a molded leather holster not quite fitting cosmeticly perfect. As long as it is a good functional fit. This is just going to be used for hunting.

I saw a nice looking used cobra gunskin for 6" N frame S&W's are these similar in size? Sorry, I know this sounds like a stupid post, but where I am it's kinda hard to just go to the store.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

No, the Smith N-frames are a LOT bulkier than an H&R 999. More the size of a K-frame.

If you weren't insistent on leather, i'd suggest that you could find one of uncle Mike's that should work.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

+1 to Clydes suggestion. As a long time handgun hunter, several decades, a nice Uncle Mikes nylon holster will serve you every bit as well if not better than leather. In fact, given the weather a hunter can be subjected to, nylon is my holster material of choice, andUncle Mikes my manufacturer of choice. Nylon dries faster, and wickes moisture away from the handgun while it is being carried.

Man I just cant do the Uncle Mikes products. They just seem awkward and shoddily constructed. Unless they have a better grade than I have seen. Uncle Mikes is all the LGS carrys. I tried a bunch of them, but left without making a purchase even though they are cheap.

I use Blackhills leather for many holsters, but for hunting I use Uncle Mikes. They may not look as pretty, but they protect my revolver better, no damp leather sitting against the finish leaching chemicals from chemical tanned leather . Look at Simply Rugged holsters if you absolutely cannot do nylon, thier holster with the extra Chesty Puller straps is extremely versatile.

When I do use leather, like for CC in summer I wipe down the handgun several times a day. especially when carrying a blued steel handgun. And I wax the handguns finish several times a week to protect it.
    Last edited by lee1959; 01-08-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Thanks for the replys. Found a holster maker on another forum who's gonna make one up for me.