Gunboards Forums banner

US Ordnance 1919

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  milsurp mike 
#1 ·
I have found a US Ordnance 1919 semi and the complete mount and tripod.The seller wants $2000.Is this a fair deal?The tripod and brass plate looks original but I dont know much about them.The plate is marked No 1247 30 cal M2 Colson Corp 1942.Any info is needed on this if someone can help me.He has the original paper work where he paid $4250 for it.Thx Mike

#2 · (Edited)
I don't know about the US Ordnance brand (is that the original mfg or the company that did the conversion?) but I've got less than the asking dollar value in my semi 1919 with mount. Don't see what would make the gun and tripod worth $4250 in the first place, is there more to this package that you did not list?

I suppose it all depends on whether it is in '06 or 7.62, whether it is all original US parts and how bad you want it.

An original tripod with all the stuff is a bit pricy but in todays market I'm not sure if they are worth all that much.

Firing off a tripod is not the easiest thing with the semi's, not if you want to use the sights, anyway. I ended up getting a pedestal mount for mine, no more lying in the dirt for me!

It is my experience that the accessories for these things are, by far and away, the most costly part of the kit. I've got far more invested in the "stuff" than I do in the firearm.

Now, let's talk ammo, it is real easy to blow through 2 or 3 hundred rounds with one of these (way less than an auto, I know, but still an investment), cheap surplus is gone so you had better be ready to throw some cash at that end of the sport. Don't think that a 20 round box of sporting ammo will do for a range trip, first off it may not function in the gun and, trust me, it will not be enough! Besides, by the time you get finished lugging this beast and all the gear to the range, setting it all up and answering all the questions from the crowd that will gather, it will seem pointless to shoot 20 rounds.

I'm not trying to discourage but these are all things I learned the hard way. In the end, I suppose that $2000 is not out of line but just don't think that the cash outlay ends there, there is always more stuff and supplies that you will want.

I may be of more help if you have specific questions, as I said, I don't know the brand but I'll be happy to share what I do know.

#3 ·
Thx Bobm1919.I told him he got hosed when he bought it.US Ordnance is the company that built it.It is supposed to be all matching correct parts except Side plate and whatever else they have to do to build it.Thx Mike

#4 ·
You are welcome.

I suppose that to some people a semi 1919 built on an original kit (as opposed to one that was modified by some foreign country) would carry a premium but I am hard pressed to see it.
By my lights the thing is going to "messed with" to convert it to semi anyway so why pay extra? But that's just me.

There are several types of conversions to make these semi-automatic so if you buy this thing it would be well if you study the mechanism so that you understand just how yours works. Remember that most of the companies that did these conversions came and went so any broken parts are going to be impossible to find and the only way to keep these shooting will be to repair or fabricate any needed parts yourself, no "off the shelf" drop in parts here!

In any event, they are fun to shoot and the thing makes a wonderful center piece to our "US Small Arms of WWII" display.

You never did mention if the thing is in '06, if so with a fully equipped tripod it is probably worth the asking price, the various caliber conversion parts for '06 are getting somewhat hard to find these days and are pricey when you do find them. Of course, as with all milsurp, this could change tomorrow if some importer finds a stash somewhere.

Anyway, my other cautions are to enlighten not to frighten, the only one that doesn't change is the one about ammo, all the rest of the stuff you can live without but you must have ammo. For mine, being an Israli 7.62 conversion, I bought several 1000 round crates of the Paki stuff when it was around, don't shoot that stuff in any other firearm (I have other 7.62's but I don't fire the Paki in them) so it will last for a few years yet.

As for the other thing about telling the owner he got "hosed", well, he's taking more than a 50% reduction of what he's got into this thing, I think he knows he got hosed, probably doesn't need (or want) to be told, so Please, just give him your offer and move on.
Besides, maybe for him the "originality" of the original kit was worth the premium he paid, different standards and all.

Let us know how this works out for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.