Default First Enfield is a 1950 No4 Mk1*

Hey gang,

I've been lurking around the boards soaking up info for the last few weeks while I snuck up on buying an Enfield. I ended up finding one I liked at Simpson Ltd/Collectors Firearms and it arrived this week. I'm heading to the range a little later today to see how it does.

Not only is this my first Enfield, it's my first WWII era type gun, and my first centerfire rifle. I'm planning on this being a shooter for target fun, so I'm hoping it's fairly accurate.

I slugged the barrel in anticipation of casting bullets. Maximum groove diameter by the 'rotate it to find the thickest point' method returned .314, so I'm hoping the Lyman 314299 will work. I'm still collecting the various tools for casting, so haven't actually dropped any bullets yet. Soon.

One question I have about care and feeding for the Enfield is what to use to clean and polish the stock. I don't intend to strip it or anything like that, and it's only very slightly tacky in a spot or two. Just looking for a recommendation for general cleaning and maintaining the current finish after cleanings.

Thanks,
    Tom

Hey mate,sounds like a nice rifle.Boiled linseed oil is the go for your stock.How about some photos !
    cheers

Try cutting the boiled linseed oil 50/50 with pure gum spirits turpentine. A little on a rag will clean off the surface grime and at the same time the thinned BLO will penetrate deeper without darkening the wood so much.

Save those small jars that came with the holiday baskets. They're perfect for mixing and storing smaller amounts of the mix.

Yes! We definitely need to see photos. It's more than just a tradition around here.

Thanks for the tips on the wood, JB and Chrometank. And here are a few pictures that don't do the gun justice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02340.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	499561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02341.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	499562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02343.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	499564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02349.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	499566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02351.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	499567
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02342.jpg  
    Last edited by ttolliver; 01-07-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Beautiful rifle. Try rubbing the stock with a damp rag and mild detergent first. Might just be something on the stock (cosmoline, etc). Less is better.

I finally found a 1950 not too long ago. These have an interesting history: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...50-Long-Branch

Hey ttoliver,thats one nice looking rifle.well done
    cheers

Thanks bones and chrome!

Got the rifle by the range today and she did not disappoint. No issues of any kind. Unfortunately it was just a 25 yard indoor range, so couldn't really do anything at a proper distance. But the close range was offset by standing stalls that didn't allow bench resting the gun either.

My first 4 rounds gave me a group a bit over an inch, which I was plenty happy with to start. Although to be fair, I sent the target back down range for 10 total and it came back with a 2-1/8" grouping, hehehe. Then in the middle of the session I shot this one that I kept as is. I think this is about a 5/8" center to center.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Enfield Standing at 25 yards.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	499867

Can't wait to get it to an outdoor range now!

Nice rifle...and nice shooting!

That rifle there is going to be on the money

for accuracy , reliability and quality . When

it was made those Canadians had time time

build all the good stuff in . Might need minor

sights adjustments due to storage , etc .

Love those 4mk1* 's

FIVESHOT

Very nice rifle. A good one for a start. Now you have the bug!
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell