Gunboards Forums banner

German image. Officer with riding crop in front of a train.

4K views 41 replies 9 participants last post by  Bayonetcollector 
#1 ·
Here is a photo, sadly quite faded, showing officers in front of a train. This is a real photo, not a commercial postcard, so I wonder whether the writing, which is incredibly clear compared to the photo, will reveal anything about the situation. There is something about having received fabulous "liebesgaben" (Litterally: "Gifts of love", parcels from home )

Attachments

See less See more
#34 ·
In this case, Pete, though your Belgian souvenirs may be from 1983 instead of 1914... Feel free to post them on this forum. We do enjoy an off topic thread every now and then... (Of course, at some point Gus will start yelling: "Where are the moderators?", at which point we will replace his avatar with a picture of a monkey for a week or so as has happened in the past.... ( ;)Just don't tell him that was my doing...) Not to worry...).

#37 ·
I keep my avatar setting turned off for fear of seeing Gus' face when the monkey is not present!

And Bayo-c, there is NEVER a problem selecting which Chimay one should consume! Drink them ALL!.....Just be smart about it and always progress from light to darker. That's the Irish solution.

Now where in the hell am I going to find a Chimay in Shanghai???......HMMMM???

JPS

#40 ·
Well seeing how far off topic this thread has gone, one more within the "new topic" cannot hurt.... Can it?

So, what to do in Norway on a wednesday night, when you need to relax after a long and busy day at work?

Well, as this thread made more than just JPS thirsty for Chimay, a couple of bottles of Chimay Bleu are a good start, fondling a few objects from the collection and watching high culture...

Then, there is the culture. Nothing better than really talented finnish humour to go with the beer... (I'm Norwegian, but of Finnish descent...). I think noone but these fellows can perform as complicated a piece as Bohemian Rhapsody in a small WV Polo Coupe, quite as elegantly...

So, that's wednesday night in norway for ya.... ;)

Attachments

#42 ·
Just a small follow up... Here are the things that make a great saturday night:

The small towel is from a nice inn where I had a great trappist beer together with Big Commander in Leuven, after visiting the graves of his father and brother. A fond memory, thanks for sending me that Big Commander, it is a cherished possession! It says "La Trappe", which is something so extraordinary as a Dutch Trappist beer, and it tastes wonderful!

The glass is a Duvel glass.

The beer is a Westmalle Tripel, heaven in a bottle!

Then there is the Gouda cheese, cubed. And to those that encounter such cheese in Belgium. the toothpicks are not there to be eaten, they are the utensils... ;)

So, here is my saturday night joy:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.