Gunboards Forums banner

German image. Officer with riding crop in front of a train.

4K views 41 replies 9 participants last post by  Bayonetcollector 
#1 ·
Here is a photo, sadly quite faded, showing officers in front of a train. This is a real photo, not a commercial postcard, so I wonder whether the writing, which is incredibly clear compared to the photo, will reveal anything about the situation. There is something about having received fabulous "liebesgaben" (Litterally: "Gifts of love", parcels from home )

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Geschr(iebt) D(en) 23.6.16

Mein lliebster Onkel, liebste Tante, und ???

Über Eurere so lieben Zeilen, wie über das tadellos Liebesgabenpaketchen habe ifh mich recht sehr gefreut, u. Danke ich Euch Lieben herzlich dafür. Liebesgaben sind jetzt selten, und ist es sehon ein ??? wenn man so etwas Gutes geschickt bekommt. Jetzt augenblichlich weile ich als "Brigade-Reserve"in deer Ruhestellung Mitte nächster Woche aber geht es wieder in den Graben, Diese Tage werden immer herbeigeschut, denn in der Ruhestellung wird feat exerziert. Vor swei Tagen habe ich ein entdlich durchgesetst, daß ich selbstaändig bin. Ich stehe mich eine bedeutend besser, dan ich habe die Stelle, wie den Gehalt eines Konpagnieführers. Ich ?? ?? mir ?? ??, daß ish gesund bleibe damit ich bis zum siegreichen ?? Deusschluß draußen vor den Feinde stehen darf. Euchh Lieben besonders......Meinen zarten Eochen wünche ich ein recht viel sonnenschein an da herzlichen Sec?? Damit Ihr drei recht erholt wieder in Euer Schönes Heim zurüch kehren könnt.
Es denkt oft on Euch
Euer Eirk

Das Bild ist an Rhein asugennomen, neben mir sizt Vzfer Off. Aspirant Sperling, beide waren wir in frölichster ????

#4 ·
I see that Gus couldn't restrain himself:) and can only say that: "I lift my hat for your courage Sir!". I'll give my own view on the text, probably tomorrow ... just for now I think that he addresses his uncle, aunt and "Evchen", the dimunitive of "Eva".
As a side note, I think (in fact: am convinced) that the riding crop was a sure sign of a NCO or CO belonging to a cavalry outfit. BC may have thought that the riding crop, he surely noticed in my guest room, had something to do with some SM-folly ... no! I was "cavalry" when in the army.:laugh:

#5 ·
Hoi Big Commander,
I know you will do better than I did, this script was very regular, and that makes it easy, but I would need 10 times as much text to have better success. Evchen! I do not think I could have ever gotten that, even though my grand mother's name was Eva, I see may typos, as I was in a hurry due to time constraints, and I see Evchen is mentioned later in the letter.
Best
Gsu

#7 ·
my attempt - It sounds like he is thanking them over and over again for goodie packages from his loving family. He mentions that even in a rest period in reserve away from the front (which lasts only an eyeblink) they train and exercise constantly. Besides the love of his family, he misses sunshine and can't wait to come back.

could be written by any soldier of any nation at any time. good reminder to send a few more bucks to the USO? :)

#8 · (Edited)
Maybe one of you collectors can point out who the author Erik or/and "Aspirant Officer Sperling" was on this photo (Cfr the "Nota Bene" at the end of the transcription)? It would be nice to give a name to a face.
I'm also under the impression that "Liebesgaben" (presents given out of love) must have been something specific, not realy bound to a sweetheart but a certain contenance of the package. Just a hunch, maybe someone knows more? Or maybe simply that he felt loved by the family?

Geschr(ieben) d(em) 23/6/16

Mein liebster Onkel, liebste Tante und Evchen!

Über Euere so lieben Zeilen, wie über das tadellose Liebesgabenpaketchen habe ich mich recht sehr gefreut, u(nd) danke ich Euch Lieben herzlich dafür. Liebesgaben sind jetzt selten, und ist es schon ein Ereignis wenn man so etwas Gutes geschickt bekommt. Jetzt augenblicklich weile ich als “Brigade -Reserve” in der Ruhestellung. Mitte nächster Woche aber geht es wieder in den Graben. Diese Tage werden immer herbei gesehnt, denn in der Ruhestellung wird fest exerziert. Vor zwei Tagen habe ich nun endlich durchgesetzt dass ich selbständig bin. Ich sehe mich nun bedeutend besser, denn ich habe die Stelle, wie den Gehalt eines Kompagnieführers. Ich wünsche mir nun nur dass ich gesund bleibe, damit ich bis zum siegreichen Friedensschluss draussen vor dem Feinde stehen darf.
Euch Lieben, besonders meinem zarten Evchen, wünsche ich um recht viel Sonnenschein an der herrlichen See, damit Ihr drei recht erholt wieder in Euer schönes Heim zurück kehren könnt.
Es denkt oft an Euch
Euer Erik.

NB: Das Bild ist am Rhein aufgenommen. Neben mir sitzt Vzfldw (Uzfldw?, not sure about this abbreviation) Off. Aspirant Sperling, beide waren wir in fröhlichster Stimmung.

#11 ·
I was absolutely delighted and thank you warmly, loved ones, for your dear note and impeccable gift package. Gifts are rare now, and it's quite an event whenever someone is sent something so nice. At the moment I'm staying with the reserve brigade at a rest position. The middle of next week, however, it's back to the trenches. These days leading up are coveted because of constant drill in the rest position. Two days ago I finally asserted my independence. I see myself much better now since I've had the position and salary of a company commander. Now I only wish to stay healthy, so I may stand outside before the enemy until a victorious peace settlement.

To you, my loved ones, and especially to my tender little Eva, I wish a whole lot of sunshine on the magnificent lakeside so you can return home and recuperate in your beautiful home.
Thinking of you often
Your Eric

PS: The picture was taken on the Rhine. Next to me is sitting Corporal aspirant Sperling, both of us were in the happiest of moods.

Sorry for the fast and loose translation... this one was great because I liked the pic and could read the postcard since it wasn't in script. I know it's not literal, and and am not trying to offset the official translation.
:)

#18 ·
I think it would depend on the way it was used, everything will insult some one, some where. For example, one would capitalize the word marine when referring to the United States Marine Corps, but not when describing marine forces of a general nature.
This brings up an interesting point, in English we capitalize all proper nouns, in German, all nouns are capitalized, but adjectives are not, as an example, you can speak German, or you can speak the german Language, now this is written incorrectly, because in English, it would seem that we also capitalize "proper adjectives" as well.
The use or non use of capitalization is not used as a sign of disrespect on this multilingual forum, and everyone here shows the greatest respect to all Servicemen and Women (I bow to you here).
Best
Gus

#19 ·
I think it would depend on the way it was used, everything will insult some one, some where. For example, one would capitalize the word marine when referring to the United States Marine Corps, but not when describing marine forces of a general nature.
This brings up an interesting point, in English we capitalize all proper nouns, in German, all nouns are capitalized, but adjectives are not, as an example, you can speak German, or you can speak the german Language, now this is written incorrectly, because in English, it would seem that we also capitalize "proper adjectives" as well.
The use or non use of capitalization is not used as a sign of disrespect on this multilingual forum, and everyone here shows the greatest respect to all Servicemen and Women (I bow to you here).
Best
Gus
You Sir, are of course correct, There are times that I must remind myself that I am on an International forum, and that not everyone has the same primary language, or customs.

My apologies.

Pete A.

#21 ·
Indeed! As gus has explained, on an international forum, some of the finer points are not known to everyone all the time, though Big Commander is actually our resident language expert, with Gus on a close second place... But, no matter what nationality we may be (I am Norwegian.), I've not seen any member here do anything but honour the Veterans, and I doubt I will ever see that in the future either... You will find this a highly civilized forum with a great lot of respect both for veterans and for fellow forum members.

#22 · (Edited)
I understand gunguy45's reaction, I too was proud to serve in the Cavalry (notice how quick I adapt!).
"Understanding is forgiving", I called back my secondants ... not to ring gunguys door chime in order to ask if 5 AM, February the 10th would be convenient ... weapons of his choice of course;).

And yes, BC, me too ... I highly appreciate this civilized board ... it's always a pleasure to try to be of service here! BTW, I also noticed our friend is interested in "micro brewed beer" ... this man can't be bad!

#23 ·
Hoi Big Commander,
The only thing that Gunguy45 did wrong, is that he quoted your post, he should have quoted mine, if he had done so, I would have apologized for another faux paux. But since he quoted you, I had to stand up for my friend who will not even correctly capitalize his own Nom de Plume.
Best
Gus
PS did I hear someone say beer?

#26 ·
I agree with Gus on this one whether it involves paws or not!

Also, as regards to the Cavalry and Cavalrymen, historical period and country has everything to do with the perspective on this subject. During the American Civil War, a commonly made derogatory remark among members of Union Infantry Regiments was, "Has anybody ever seen a dead cavalryman?"

As regards to this Forum, we honor every soldier, from every branch of service who served on either side during the Great War. Politics aside they were all doing their duty as was expected of them in each and every combatant nation that went to war.

Welcome aboard Pete! I am proud to say that you will find our long term collection of misfits a cut above the rest!

HAPPY YEAR OF THE DRAGON!

JPS

#27 · (Edited)
Thanks to all for understanding, Big commander, my "weapon of choice" would be a bottle of Chimay (I'll let you pick the style) each. Last to finish wins.
I actually visited the Belgian Cavalry school, circa 1983, we shared a few bottles of a very good May Wine with some of the cadre.
Pete

#28 · (Edited)
Chimay? ... excellent choice!
For those that don't know and are curious: http://www.chimay.com/en/en.html?IDC=27

BTW, the reason why I use a lower case character in my nickname here is because my dad was called the same by the British while in the UK (end and aftermath of WWII) ... but with a capital "C". It's a question of respect and not out of ignorance (said this before but did not expect for anybody to remember):)

#30 ·
Could very well be, I don't remember the name of the town, or the Post, but my Troop (E Troop 2/11 ACR)was touring the Ardennes.
We spent the day in Bastogne, had a tour by a local historian, then went to the school.
I remember seeing a Swingfire Missile simulator.
We had a few toasts with the May Wine, I remember it being served with fruit in the glass. Strawberrys
, or Oranges, I don't remember which.
It was a nice trip, We toured Verdun, Luxembourg, The Ardennes, then visited Patton's grave.

#33 · (Edited)
Thank you ttenoyab, after 30years the details sometimes get lost, now I at least know the name of where I was.

BC, How true! But I do prefer the Grande Reserve(Blue label) Best. I wouldn't turn the others down though.

Now that we've totally hijacked this thread, I think I'll look for my Belgian souvnirs, take some photos, and find a place that's "proper" to post them for discussion.

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.