Default Model 30 Persian Cavalry Carbine information?

Found what I believe is a Persian Model 30 Cavalry Carbine, but I know nothing about it except it looks exceptionally cool and I've never seen one before. A search on the forum revealed very little information, so I'm trying to find out more about it. It's in a very attractive used condition, which I love.

I believe the bolt is incorrect as the round part on the handle isn't checkered and flat (which is correct for this model?). I also do not know if the stock is correct. It didn't have a K98 style sling set up. Is that correct? What other things should I look for? I couldn't figure out where is was made since everything was in Farsi (Brno or in Iran?). The rear sight also was in Farsi.

No import mark to be found. Bore was in good condition too.

Sorry I don't have photos. I found saw it at a show and didn't think I could snap any good shots of it. Just looking for more info so I can ID it when I see it again and what a fair value would be. I couldn't find any that have sold to compare prices.

Thanks guys!

How much were they asking?? id snatch it up if i could get it at a good deal man

The Model 30 (Brno mfg.) has a round bolt knob, and should be serial numbered in Farsi on the bolt stem facing the shooter. The lower barrel band should have both a sling swivel underneath as well as a saddle ring swivel on the left side of the same band. The buttstock should also have a VZ 24 type disc attached. The weapon serial number is also marked in farsi on the barrel and receiver.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is not an act, but a habit- -- Aristotle

Looking for cocking sleeve #75.

Ol Duke is offline Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer

I posted pictures of my Model 30 on the thread listed as "Two Persian Carbines" thread....have a look. The pictures aren't very good due to the fact that my camera has no micro feature, but maybe they will help.
    Thanks,
    Ol'Duke

"I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would be an affront to your intelligence."
    George Bernard Shaw

Mihi ignosce. Cum homine de cane debeo congredi.
    (Excuse me. I need to see a man about a dog.)

Thanks guys! I wasn't sure what the correct bolt would be. I didn't notice if it had a serial number on it, so I'll check that. Stock was exactly as described. Price was $540 with tax included. Sound like a decent deal, or would mis-match bolt lower the value, assuming it is? Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by TMann View Post
    The Model 30 (Brno mfg.) has a round bolt knob, and should be serial numbered in Farsi on the bolt stem facing the shooter. The lower barrel band should have both a sling swivel underneath as well as a saddle ring swivel on the left side of the same band. The buttstock should also have a VZ 24 type disc attached. The weapon serial number is also marked in farsi on the barrel and receiver.
    TMann:

Isn't the backside of the bolt knob flat and checkered?
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    TMann:

That's what I thought too, based off the little research I could do. I wouldn't care if it's mis-matched, but if it lowers the value alot I'd like to know, so I don't overpay for it. Thanks guys!

John Wall is online now Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords

Hi Ithilsdorf,
    A mismatched bolt should definitely lower the value. Bear in mind that these M.1930 musketoons (carbines) are NOT rare by any means. What is rare is one that is still matching and has its original, very dark colored stock, which has not been bubbalated, sanded, docked, dipped, dyed, drilled, tapped or cracked. I just purchased an M1930 musketoon (your carbine) for $550 OTD a few months ago in a nationally advertised auction. It was matching and 90%. The M.1930 musketoon should have a bolt knob with a knurled surface on the rear side facing the stock. Its buttstock should not be cut for a side-mounted sling, its lower barrel band should mount a very large sling ring, and its upper barrel band is an H-band while the M49's band is solid. The M.1930 stock and handguard should be walnut, not beech. The serial numbers on any Iranian Mauser carbine should all match. Those numbers can be found on the side of the buttstock, the back of the bolt handle, on the barrel under the handguard, and openly visible the on the receiver ring.

Since your carbine has the K98k side-type sling and an uncheckered/unknurled bolt, it is very probably not correct....or maybe it's an correct M.1949. However...check the numbers carefully. You never know when you might be holding a unusual M.1930 to M.1949 transitional piece, or an honest depot rebuilt carbine.
    Regards,
    John
    Last edited by John Wall; 01-22-2012 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spellinng, clarifications

Step up and get it. Mine has developed a cult following at the range...and find some 1950's Romanian ammo!
    Cheapdad

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400376838.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	505152

Hey John,

Any idea why my otherwise original and matching M30 has a receiver marked 1309? I thought they were supposed to be 1312. Also I have no date information on the right side, just that pre-date emblem with no numbers below.

John Wall:

Thanks for the info! The stock would appear to correct. It was a dark wood, had no K98 style cutout, has the large sling ring, and the sling setup as described. There were numbers in the wood, but it was difficult to see. I'll check it when I go back. From what you've described I think the only incorrect part would be the bolt, as it was a round one and not checkered. The rear sight was also had the graduations marked in Farsi. I'd love to own this rifle, as it's short length is really neat to me. However I don't want to overpay, as I've done that before. It was originally $549 with no tax included, but was told they would come down to $540 with tax, so I'd save a good $60ish.

Sounds pretty good. I would recommend checking the bolt number carefully, just to be sure that it isn't a correct depot forced-matched replacement. Also, check the handguard carefully in good light to be sure that it is not cracked. The handguard is a thin piece of wood that is often found with a serious crack or two due to its stiff spring clamp and the fact that they are often removed carelessly by being pryed up from the top. (To avoid this, first lift the barreled action with the handguard from the buttstock, then work the handguard loose from the barrel by manipulating it from under the barrel.)

And my apologies for misreading your original post regarding the K98k sling setup. You've got the real McCoy! :-)
    Best Regards,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Othais View Post
    Hey John,

Any idea why my otherwise original and matching M30 has a receiver marked 1309? I thought they were supposed to be 1312. Also I have no date information on the right side, just that pre-date emblem with no numbers below.
    Hi Othais,
    All Iranian M.1930 carbines that I have seen, including my three, are dated 1309. There was only one lot of 30,000 carbines purchased by Iran and all receivers should have been made in 1930, or 1309. Regarding date information on the right side, there should be none. The numerals "1309" in the Persian/Farsi numeral system should be embedded in a Farsi text phrase found on the side rail on the left side of the carbine.
    Regards,
    John

My mistake, the one Persian I was looking at is a M49 in a M30 stock. But, again Mr. Wall has set us straight.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is not an act, but a habit- -- Aristotle

Looking for cocking sleeve #75.

Quote Originally Posted by TMann View Post
    My mistake, the one Persian I was looking at is a M49 in a M30 stock. But, again Mr. Wall has set us straight.
    Yeah, when I put my %^#@!* bifiocals on, everything comes together! :-)

John Wall:

Thanks again! So you think it's worth it the price if the bolt is also matched, but not correct? Or would it still be a decent buy even with an incorrect and mistmatched bolt?

One thing John did not mention (I don't think) is the butt stock swevil should rotate about 45 degrees to the left to line up with the so-called 'saddle ring' swevil. You can easily figure out the number by the rear sight, first double digit is 10 and it goes up from there to 20 going from one side to the other.

I do recall the swivel did move like that, so that's good news.

I also just recalled the rifle was missing a cleaning rod, if that's also a big deal.

Thanks, I got confused trying to find more images in the big book of Mausers.

Here are some pictures of my worn, but matching with original parts (except for cleaning rod maybe?) Brno made M30 for reference. Notice that the date is 1317.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 004rs.JPG   Picture 006rs.JPG   Picture 008rs.JPG   Picture 009rs.JPG   Picture 019rs.jpg  
    Last edited by shmlnaaa; 01-22-2012 at 10:52 PM.
    looking for: various Chinese WWII rifles and original matching Soviet Mosins (1945 and earlier)

Hi shmlnaaa,
    Many thanks for posting your carbines photo an serial number. This helps us a lot in understanding the manufacturing date span of these carbines! Excellent find!
    Regards,
    John

I saw the gun in question. The stock is correct and matching, the bolt is from a Persian 1949 carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by insle View Post
    I saw the gun in question. The stock is correct and matching, the bolt is from a Persian 1949 carbine.
    Thanks insle. Do you think it's worth the price, or should I pass?

I ended up picking this up today. Traded a WZ-48 and a some cash for it. Bolt is indeed from an M49 and not arsenal force matched. Stock is correct and matching, and it has a nice bore. Should be a decent shooter. I'll get some photos up later today or tomorrow.

I am glad you got it. It is really a very nice gun with a matching stock - they are much harder to find than the 1949 model and much better made.