Default Russian Makarov marking differences

Hello all. This is my first post here. I've been a member of the High Road for about a year and now have found that Gunboards suits my taste currently (no disrespect to The High Road). This Makarov Forum really caught my eye since I just picked up my second Mak last weekend, an IJ-70 to match my Bulgarian. After doing some research I've noticed that my Russian is slightly different from what seems to be the NORM. The one I bought does not have any markings on it other than "IJ-70/9x18 Makarov/Made In Russia" on the right side, "Big Bear Arms"/serial numbers on slide and frame on the left side. It does not contain a letter/number after the "IJ-70" or any proof marks on the rear of the slide. I know it is the commercial version because of the adjustable rear sites. Is there a reason why the proof marks are not there? Does this make mine any better or worse than one that has the circle arrow, etc. proof marks. One thing I have noticed is that mine looks cleaner than some of the billboard commercial Russians since mine has the limited writing on it, but hopefully its "cleanliness" does not take away from it's collectivity in the years to come. Since collecting and appreciating these fine little pistols is a new found joy of mine, my knowledge is very limited. Hopefully an expert here can shed some light on the variances of the 9x18 commercial Russians because my previous searches haven't turned up anything. Any additional info that anyone could share would be appreciated.

Manta77

TENNESSEEAN is offline Super Moderator / Diamond Bullet with oak leaves member

Welcome to the Makarov world, a picture would help but from your description here's what you've got.*IJ70 (8rd Commerical Model, 9x18 with "Fake" PMM type grip, Adjustable rear sight)This is from the types of Makarovs "stickie" at the top of the forum. Best I remember Big Bear Arms brought these in early on. As for the other marking that aren't there, it's still a Russian Commerical and no better or worse than any of the others. I no longer have one of these and right off I can't remember if you can replace the odd grips with a regular 8 round grip or not. Someone on here has probably got one and can answer that question or george or ST I'm sure can answer it.
    Do your grips look like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0202.jpg  
    Last edited by TENNESSEEAN; 02-09-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    Appalachain American

Thanks TENNESSEEAN for your response. My Russian does have the installed grip that you assumed it had. You seemed to nail it as I have done some more research and I figured that the reason for the condensed model number is the fact that it was one of the first commercial russians that were brought in. There wasn't any reason, at the time, to expand the model number because it was the only style. I have an extra red star (Bulgarian) grip that I tried on the commercial russian and it did fit with a bit of force. I decided to leave the soft "fake" grip because it seems that it will be comfortable at the range. We have a range date planned for Friday, and I'll be shooting it for the first time...Can't wait. If it is anything like my Bulgarian, it will be money well spent. I think I have been bitten by the bug.
    Last edited by Manta77; 02-13-2012 at 08:59 AM.

TENNESSEEAN is offline Super Moderator / Diamond Bullet with oak leaves member

As long as no one has buggered up the adj. sights it should shoot and run about as good as the Bulgie, and yes these things are addictive and tend to multiply.
    Appalachain American

Welcome to gunboards Manta77.

Bill