Default C/P what is your favorite K98 code and why?

InfGrunt
    Gunboards Member

USA
    53 Posts
    Posted - 09/03/2004 : 11:56:00 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought it would be interesting to see what the consences of all you K98 lovers out there about your favorite K98 code and reason why. I've been watching and learning these last few months and I'd really like everyone's input. Knowledge is half the battle. Besides, you can gleen valuable information from one another.

Thanks,

Michael

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you can read, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read English, thank a Soldier.

MauserBob
    I'm a Bob, with a Mauser.

Israel
    10337 Posts
    Posted - 09/04/2004 : 01:31:50 AM

S/42. Reason being, true Mauser plant production, and I guess I have a soft spot for K98's of this code due to my grandfather's bring-back Luger, which is a 1938 dated S/42. I just had to have a K98k that matched it. The one I have is the favorite of all the K98k's that I own. Plus, I think that others are more enamored with the other codes to the point where S/42 becomes like that cute but homely girl next door. She's always there, even while you're chasing all the flashier girls.

JMO.

Rob.

"Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's interpretation of the Constitution."
    - Justice Clarence Thomas, re: Kelo v. City of New London, 2005

bearbaregun
    Gunboards Super Premium Member

USA
    333 Posts
    Posted - 09/04/2004 : 02:07:38 AM

ce ~~ Maybe because it is the only one I own, but I would like to think that this is also because I can't imagine a "mass produced" weapon that has such obvious care in manufacture, ie. fit, machining, and finish being the norm. Every time I pick it up and wipe it down and cycle it I know that it doesn't get any better than this.

ledman
    Gunboards Premium Member

USA
    245 Posts
    Posted - 09/04/2004 : 02:47:05 AM

I do not have one yet,I am in the market to buy one, most likely from Empire Arms, but I am leaning towards the Sauer & son S/147 or the Erma. Seems everyone has a BNZ or BYF these days, not that their is anything wrong with that

Edited by - ledman on 09/04/2004 02:47:47 AM

johnny_mustang
    Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
    748 Posts
    Posted - 09/04/2004 : 07:17:24 AM

BSW - any year, hard to find
    BCD/AR - interesting code, '43 seems really hard to find

Scott B

USA
    312 Posts
    Posted - 09/04/2004 : 07:40:02 AM

My favorite manufacturer is Steyr - so my favorite code overall is 660/bnz. Within this code bcd/bnz4 is probobly the rarest followed closely by 660/39 K98k.

The coolest code I own is a completely matching and correct split code AX/AR 41. Whenever I show this to other collectors they freak.

Overall my favorite type of 98s of this period are SS marked Gew.98 reworks.

Scott B

Hambone
    I Have A Tina Tuner Style Haircut

2647 Posts
    Posted - 09/04/2004 : 08:09:59 AM

I bet I know where you got that ax / ar too. If you got it in the last couple years I was in the running for it. Rare code. My favorite manufacturer code is likely bsw (bsw 1939 luftamt 4) and byf (for obvious reasons).

quote:
    Originally posted by Scott B

My favorite manufacturer is Steyr - so my favorite code overall is 660/bnz. Within this code bcd/bnz4 is probobly the rarest followed closely by 660/39 K98k.

The coolest code I own is a completely matching and correct split code AX/AR 41. Whenever I show this to other collectors they freak.

Overall my favorite type of 98s of this period are SS marked Gew.98 reworks.

Scott B

Bimmer
    Gunboards Premium Member

USA
    112 Posts
    Posted - 09/04/2004 : 09:08:02 AM

I can only base my preferences on speculation at this point, but I like the early pre-war codes. I just ordered my first K98k from Empire Arms yesterday, an S/147 made in 1937. I know I will likely never own a large enough collection of these to have multiple examples, so I figured I'd get at least one good example.

InfGrunt
    Gunboards Member

USA
    53 Posts
    Posted - 09/04/2004 : 10:10:23 AM

I too only have one but I love her. I picked her up from S.O.G. It's is a 147 1940. I thought I did well with luck of the draw. I too am saving up some "stach" to purchase one from Empire. I like the 660's and the ce as well. I just recently purchased Law's "Backbone" and I cannot wait until it arrives. This is addicting huh?

Michael

If you can read, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read English, thank a Soldier.

mrfarb
    Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

1388 Posts
    Posted - 09/04/2004 : 10:25:24 AM

Hmmm- my favorite code is probably bnz- there seems to be more variations on this code than any, from 660 all the way to swjXE they are all cool- plus, they containg the single rune guns which are interesting.

Check out my website- www.latewar.com

davef

USA
    3225 Posts
    Posted - 09/04/2004 : 10:50:32 AM

My favorite is byf or s/42,because I like mausers from mauser.my 2 favorite current guns are both byf44's 1 all correct and one that was before bubba decided it should be d/t for a scope,both are tack drivers at the range and love cheap surplus ammo.

"war doesnt decide who is right,war decides who is left"
    I can always make more money,they arent making any more arisaka's!!!
    email: [email protected]

ul4evr

USA
    352 Posts
    Posted - 09/04/2004 : 12:31:29 PM

like maserbob and davef.my favorite is my 43 byf..everything else is just a mauser. but a byf is a mauser made mauser.
    although i have a soft spot in my heart for my 42duv,, seems it's the bastard child of the mausers.
    pete o.

ritterkreuz
    Gunboards Member

89 Posts
    Posted - 09/05/2004 : 11:02:10 AM

For me it's a toss up between Steyr - 1940 660 / bnz45 and Mauser Oberndorf - byf 41 L / svw MB. These are my favorites.

Meyer had a word for the critics who demeaned the Gators.

"I'd like to thank all those people. Our pregame speech was easy," he said.

RWC
    Gunboards Member

USA
    61 Posts
    Posted - 09/05/2004 : 8:36:32 PM

Hello all:

I guess my favorites are the earliest and the latest rifles I own. My earliest is a 1933 Mauser Banner which is very original including the sling and cleaning rod. I find the stock marking very interesting "Deutsche Reichspost" and the history of these set them apart from later examples, at least to me. My second favorite is a 1945 dou. I enjoyed finding out how it was put together with the front band being held on with an old beat up machine screw and the rear band held on with 3 small square nails and a straight pin forced in just for good measure. The trigger housing is held in place with a original type bolt dated 44 and the other is a big old round head bolt. I guesss it shows how frantic the workers were in getting rifles out to the troops. The sling was held in the sling cut by several nails. The years in between are also interesting but these two are more interesting and special to me. RWC.

Fightin Scot

USA
    4002 Posts
    Posted - 09/05/2004 : 8:47:31 PM

s/42, 42 and byf, the Mauser Mausers.

ledman
    Gunboards Premium Member

USA
    245 Posts
    Posted - 09/06/2004 : 12:34:10 AM

Ahhh, so it was YOU bimmer, who bought that Sauer & Son 1937, damn you! That one was on my "to buy", but the money is just tight now, that was one I was saving for and hoping it would still be around. Oh well, he has some more up there witht eh same codes, congrats!

Scott B

USA
    312 Posts
    Posted - 09/06/2004 : 08:12:24 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Hambone

I bet I know where you got that ax / ar too. If you got it in the last couple years I was in the running for it. Rare code."

Hambone,

I have owned this for a while. Not the same gun. Is good to know that there are a few more correct one out there though.

Scott B

Bimmer
    Gunboards Premium Member

USA
    112 Posts
    Posted - 09/06/2004 : 10:05:54 AM

quote:
    Originally posted by ledman

Ahhh, so it was YOU bimmer, who bought that Sauer & Son 1937, damn you! That one was on my "to buy", but the money is just tight now, that was one I was saving for and hoping it would still be around. Oh well, he has some more up there witht eh same codes, congrats!

Sorry about that. I had a short list of about six that I kept going over and over, trying to prioritze which features were most important to me. I finally settled on that one and ordered it right away, figuring that if I didn't it would be gone. Obviously my concerns were well-founded.

ledman
    Gunboards Premium Member

USA
    245 Posts
    Posted - 09/06/2004 : 2:04:28 PM

GJ Bimmer, glad you got it...please, let us know how it is, some pics would be great!
    I snoozed, I lost. Money....it sure is hard to save up for these extra things sometimes, but I got to pay rent, bills, etc before rifles.

Reichpapers

USA
    517 Posts
    Posted - 09/06/2004 : 3:11:57 PM

quote:
    Originally posted by RWC

Hello all:

I guess my favorites are the earliest and the latest rifles I own. My earliest is a 1933 Mauser Banner which is very original including the sling and cleaning rod. I find the stock marking very interesting "Deutsche Reichspost" and the history of these set them apart from later examples, at least to me. My second favorite is a 1945 dou. I enjoyed finding out how it was put together with the front band being held on with an old beat up machine screw and the rear band held on with 3 small square nails and a straight pin forced in just for good measure. The trigger housing is held in place with a original type bolt dated 44 and the other is a big old round head bolt. I guesss it shows how frantic the workers were in getting rifles out to the troops. The sling was held in the sling cut by several nails. The years in between are also interesting but these two are more interesting and special to me. RWC.

RWC, what serial # range is your DOU45?

I have nothing, whether informative, witty, or entertaining to add to my signature…

madboy357
    Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
    889 Posts
    Posted - 09/06/2004 : 4:07:28 PM

I really enjoy the date codes--G and K's. The mystique of hiding the year of production, as well as the place of manufacture is really cool IMO. Not to mention the quality of these in matching/mostly matching trim. The Oberndorf pre-WaffenAmt proofs are really cool too.

What sucks though is the lack of K dates (my current 'Holy Grail') Got all the G's except Erfurt, including 3 Oberndorfs, a pair of Sauers' and a bolt m/m Borsigwalde. Just can't find a K date to save my life, even a Russian capture piece.........

Bimmer
    Gunboards Premium Member

USA
    112 Posts
    Posted - 09/06/2004 : 5:24:32 PM

Before I die I really want to own one of the Deutsche Reichspost rifles. There's something intrinsicly appealing about a rifle originally made for the post office, at least to my (perhaps slightly off-kilter) way of thinking.

RWC
    Gunboards Member

USA
    61 Posts
    Posted - 09/06/2004 : 7:59:02 PM

Reichpapers:

The serial number on the dou.45 is 4618 stamped on the left side of the receiver only. Kriegsmodell. RWC

J.Stein

2970 Posts
    Posted - 09/06/2004 : 8:26:37 PM

Mauser Oberndorf, the old Imperial Arsenals like Erfurt, and Sauer could be manufacturers for any country. To get a true sense of the inherent diabolical evil of the Third Reich you have to look at Steyr (660/bnz) and Gustlof (bcd).

With their mass utilization of slave labor and their ties to the SS they signify (to me) Hitler's Germany and its corruption of western civilization like no other K98's could.

They make the "bridge" between mere firearms and history and really make for a good story that would interest the normal history buff that is not necessarily interested in firearms.

I got laid off when they closed that asbestos factory.

ul4evr

USA
    352 Posts
    Posted - 09/06/2004 : 10:09:54 PM

hmmmmmmmmmm ,,,, reichpost K98s give a whole other meaning to going postal... haha
    pete o.

Anthony

330 Posts
    Posted - 09/07/2004 : 07:36:13 AM

1)Sniper Variations

2)Imperial & Weimar Reworks; GEW98, 98B, Std. Modell & DRP.
    SS proofs Added Are An Interesting Plus On This Type!

3)1945 Dated K98k

4)1937 Dated K98k(Transition Weimar-Nazi Proofs)

Anthony Fortino

Hoser1
    Gunboards Member

USA
    76 Posts
    Posted - 09/07/2004 : 5:38:33 PM

Well...I guess it would have to be my one and only k-98...a RC 27 over 1939, must have some history to her, she was rebarreld in 1/43, and has the SS2 totenkopf mark on the barrel nice tiger striped walnut stock too. other then that I don't know if Erma was a good maker or not. she shoots good with good ammo anyway.

Fingolfin
    Gunboards Member

69 Posts
    Posted - 09/08/2004 : 01:16:25 AM

I'm starting to think maybe I made a mistake picking up a K98 marked "ar" for the manufacturer code. I thought it might be rare as I don't see it mentioned as much, but I guess the opposite is true. I had previously thought they were made in Berlin but not sure. It's 1941 manufactured, an RC gun. Don't know much about it so if somebody could enlighten me about the factory, location, rarity, etc. of this gun i'd appreciate it.

HondoBlue
    Gunboards Premium Member

USA
    122 Posts
    Posted - 09/08/2004 : 08:41:59 AM

CE - especially the earlier years. I guess I like the CE's because the one I have was a pristine vet bring-back but with a "Bubba'd" stock. (Still looking for a nice CE stock).

Anthony

330 Posts
    Posted - 09/08/2004 : 4:01:36 PM

Hi Fingolfin;

243 or ar = Mauser Werke, AG Borsigwalde:
    K98k Production Years 1935-1944
    1,088,760 Total Produced

This Berlin firm was a subsidiary of Mauser Werke, AG Oberndorf, the original K98k Mauser creator! It was the only firm of its type. The other K98k contractors paid Mauser Werke, AG Oberndorf licensee fees to produce the K98k. But in the case of Borsigwalde it was essentially owned by Mauser Werke, AG Oberndorf having been restarted up by them in 1935 after having been closed in 1918! In fact by 1944 many Borsigwalde ar44 coded K98k were manufactured at the Mauser Werke, AG Oberndorf plant! I am not sure why this last event transpired? A couple options are as follows. 1)It might have indicated the level of difficulty producing and shipping K98k from the Berlin area to the various German commands. 2) Borsigwalde might have concentrated on the production of other types of arms instead of the K98k and Oberndorf completed part of their existing contracts for K98k rifles. 3) Borsigwalde produced K98k parts might have been sent to Mauser Oberndorf to complete because of the above reasons already stated.

TYPES OF 243/AR BORSIGWALDE THAT ARE RARE:

1)They are rare if they were produced jointly by Erma and Borsigwalde in 1941 and also by Gustloff and Borsigwalde in 1942-43.

Double Codes:
    ax/ar41
    bcd/ar42
    bcd/ar43

2)In addition Borsigwalde produced factory manufactured ZF41 & ZF41-1 sniper rifles from 1941 until 1944.

3) The first two years of production are also very rare:

S/243 G (1935) 7,671
    S/243 (1936) 35,077

CONCLUSIONS ON RARE K98k IN GENERAL:

1) JUST MY OPINION BUT ANY K98k CODE/YEAR WITH TOTAL PRODUCTION UNDER 50,000 GUNS IN THAT CODE/YEAR IS HARD TO COME BY.

2) ALSO K98k THAT ARE BSW CODED K98k, COMMERCIAL PROOFED K98k, DOUBLE CODED K98k, DOUBLE CODED-REWORKED K98k, MILITARY DISTRICT PROOFED K98k, SS PROOFED K98k, 1945 DATED K98k, & K98k SNIPER VARIATIONS ARE ALL RARE IN DEGREES!

Anthony Fortino

Edited by - Anthony on 09/09/2004 1:01:10 PM

kroh
    Dennis Kroh-Owner Empire Arms Gunboards Sponsor

USA
    1335 Posts
    Posted - 09/08/2004 : 5:47:53 PM

Mauser Borsigwalde was located in the Wittenau suburb of Berlin. Originally known as Ludwig Loewe & Company, it was renamed Deutches Wafffen und Munitionsfabriken AG (DWM)in December 1896 and noted for the fine workmanship on their Argentine M1891 and 1909 rifles, as well as Brazilian M1908 rifles before WWI. the factory lay idle between 1918 (when WWI ended) and 1935 (when Germany started re-arming itself in earnest).

By 1944 there were over 12,000 employees at Mauser Borsigwalde, at least 5,000 of whom were slave laborers. In addition to many 98k carbines, Mauser Borsigwalde produced MG34 machine guns, MG81 aircraft machine guns and MG151 aircraft cannons, anti-aircraft artillery (Flak), and reportedly many P-38 and HsC pistols.

The Mauser Borsigwalde factory was completely destroyed by the advancing Russians in May 1945 and, although it was in the French zone of occupation nothing remains today (I actually physically looked for it when visiting Berlin without success).

Dennis Kroh, owner

use this link: http://64.82.96.51

C/P what is your favorite K98 code and why?

Byf 43, ZF41 configuration, just doesn't get any better.
    There is something special about the 'ler' scopes.

I vote for the Mauser Banner!

Default Favorite Codes . . .

I recently bought my second K98k, an RC with manufacturer's stamp 237 and dated 1940. Since its my first fully marked K98k, my first K98k was acquired in the mid 60's and was a Yugo Capture with the main stamps scoured from the receiver, I'd have to say that is my favorite manufacturer, Berlin - Lubecker, with waffenamts numbered 214 on the receiver and barrel. The bolt is stamped with the Weimar eagle waffenamts. This is truly a mismatched rifle with cupped & laminated stock, stamped/welded front barrel band, unhooded front site, and milled trigger guard and magazine floor plate.

It is interesting to me because it seems to contain parts from all periods of the K98k production and because I rarely find posts with the 237 code mentioned based on Forum searches for these rifles. There seems to be more information on this site concerning the all the interesting details of the war years mausers and maybe I can learn more about this producer and the arms they produced.
    Last edited by PREDUZECE 44; 01-04-2008 at 12:28 PM.
    PREDUZECE 44
    If there were no problems, nothing would be easy.

The 337 code-Dont have one,so my favoirite not have.byf-41 is favorite,I have one and it was my first one.Favorite marking but not a code-Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken,Berlin.Either on the side of receiver on contract rifle or on top of ring like Gew.98
    The Truth is Concrete-Bertolt Brecht
    While much is too strange to be believed,nothing is too strange to have happened-Thomas Hardy

BCD4 and BYF 44 are my favorite. Easier to find and normally reasonably priced!
    What has our country become? More takers than givers.

Have you any 1918 DWM's in your collection? Do you follow DWM post 1918? What of Oberspree?

Been on a DWM thing lately, especially 1918-1945.

337 is a good rifle code to follow, quite elusive non rc and quality. Interesting time for Gustloff too.. especially 39.

Quote Originally Posted by Betonfahrer View Post
    The 337 code-Dont have one,so my favoirite not have.byf-41 is favorite,I have one and it was my first one.Favorite marking but not a code-Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken,Berlin.Either on the side of receiver on contract rifle or on top of ring like Gew.98

Talking

Gentlemen,

BYF 43 in ZF41 configuration is my #1 choice.

I think 1943 was the last of beautifully machined and finished rifles at Mauserwerk Oberndorf Am Neckar, overlooking the partially welded front band and the sub-contractor produced butt pads.

The sound the action makes when closing the bolt is out of this world.

I' partial to the Sauer rifles for craftsmanship and close by would be byf for it's pedigree

From what I own,:D BCD4. I like the late war features and the silver-green phosphate finish. From what I don't have, an early BSW. Love the early features, the BSW stamp on the ring and the deep blue finish and craftsmanship.

I like Erma/ax, I like the gothic "MOD 98" script on the reciever. I also remember reading that the ax ( 41 and later) are not as common because most were used on the eastern front. I dont know how true that is , but if it is true I think its cool because it kind of gives a history of were these rifles were used.

I am most-partial to BCD 43's, with the contractor parts.

I do like Oberndorf up to e/655. They just exhibit THE best fit and finish IMHO - I especially like how Oberndorf cut their stocks and finished the metal.

LEAST favourite is Steyr for some reason, followed by Erma.

And there is something Sauer I just cannot place...
    I'm Lewie the Fly...

Script ce Sauers, reason being the slanted script is fancier than all the others, then Ax40 because of the gothic mod 98 plus there is something about the AX code that I like. Then BSW code because they were the only maker allowed to put their intials on the receiver. Everything else falls into place after those three.

im new to "collecting" i pretty much like to have world war rifles i dont much care for the collector value, but i do have a Code 237 year 1939 with two eagles and the 214 marks on parts. i like it because its my first german mauser, and the year the war broke out which is neat

I like the bnz code the best, that's because my first K98 was a 660/29.

My favorite is "bcd4" maybe because I have an all matching bcd4 LSR sniper rifle :D .

Default Tough Choice

I would have to go with Mauser Oberndorf. But I also like any 1945 dated code and double codes.

I enjoy all the pre war codes myself.

My favorite is 237 Berlin Lubecker Maschinenfabrik Lubeck.
    Why? It's my most accurate k98, and I just think it sounds cool.