Thread: Thoughts on Jim Chambers Flintlock kits

Default Thoughts on Jim Chambers Flintlock kits

Hello,
    I am looking at the Early Lancaster Rifle kit from Jim Chambers flintlocks. I have been saving and researching kits for a few years now and am about ready to take the plunge and buy one. After looking high and low it seems as if the Chambers kits are some of the best. Does anyone on here have any experience with them? I have seen the kits and am not concerned about my ability to build one. I fully understand that I am looking at 100+ labor hours to take my time and do it correctly. I have actually already fabricated some fixtures and such for the process and have a well lighted shop in which to do the work.
    Any input is welcome.

I haven't done one, but I have heard from too many people that they are the best not to believe it. If I build another it will be a Chambers gun.

I'm not pushing another website over this one, which is totally excellent, but jump over to the americanlongrifles.org site and ask your question of the most professional longrifle makers in the USA and see what answer you get! Don't do this, though, unless you are ready to order one of Jim's and Barbie's kits, the best on the market!

After much discussion, my cousin bought a Chambers long rifle kit. He order the highest grade wood possible, as well as some other part upgrades. Upon my request, he kept track of his hours during the build. It took him almost exact 100 hrs. It was his first build. Prior to the build, he bought a few "How To..." videos to assist him. The finished long rifle came out very nice. Geologyjohn

Yes,I built one of Jim's Christians Spring - Edward Marshall rifles in .58 . The "kits" are worth every penny and after you handle one of Jim's guns you will know what you got.Mr. Chambers has alot of knowledge on American Long Rifles and collects them.His kits are very accurate versions of the originals and the shape and architecture of the parts sets his above the rest.
    Yes,it took me 100 hours to do mine,these are not like the Lyman,T/C kits that you can put together over a weekend,they are a labor of love.The DVD he sells and others like TOTW is a good primer to see what is involved.
    I took a class at Conner Prairie with Mr . Chambers and learned alot,worth every penny.Jim's parts are first class.

I have a Jim Chambers Lancaster. I did not do the build but I can tell you I absolutely love this gun. I constantly get comments on how good looking it is, how accurate it is and how fast the lock is. I have had this rifle for a couple of years but have shot several hundred rounds through it. Mine was built with a Colrain, swamped 50 cal barrel. Truely a joy to own and shoot!