Gunboards Forums banner

Firestar M40 extractor ?

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  12Bravo 
#1 ·
Some years ago I had a M40 Firestar that I loved but foolishly traded away. Recently I decided to do something about that void in my collection and purchased a like new M40 for 300.00. Love the gun but at about round count 75, I had two or three jams where the cartridge jammed into the upper chamber area. In the process, the extractor snapped off. I have a new part coming from member Star but at a cost of another 55.00 dollars.
Hears my dillema. Should I sell the gun because this is a common occurance and is likely to happen again. Or should I continue to carry the gun as my main CCW. Untill the jams/breakage the gun functioned 100%.
As a CCW, the gun needs to be 100% reliable

#2 ·
What brand of ammo were you using? The reason I am asking is because I have had nothing but trouble with my M40 when using Remington/UMC ammo. Any other ammo, including my reloads hasn't caused me any problems. I bought a M43 from a guy who had problems with jamming/FTE but haven't had any problems with my reloads in it. All I did with the M43 was give it a good cleaning before shooting it. Both pistols have been very reliable for me and I wouldn't hesitate to carry either one.

#3 ·
I am using my own handloads with a TC cast bullet. Mixed brass headstamps, Lee factory crimp die. I am not so concerned with the jamming at this point, but rather with the fact that I worry that the new extractor will just break again when the slide slams into the rear of a jammed cartridge. Is this pistol prone to extractor breakage.?
(My handloads work just fine in my other two .40 caliber pistols.)

#5 ·
I bought a .40 cal. firestar when they first came out. The first extractor broke @ around 150 rnds. I sent it in for warranty repair. It came back about six weeks later, if I recall correctly. The new extractor chipped out @ around 60 rnds. Back it went for warranty repair. When it came back after another six weeks, I dumped it at a gun show. It reminded me of my old British sports car... great when it ran but a pain in the xxx when it broke. Just my experience. I had a bud with a 9mm version that never had any issues. I require reliability above all. YMMV.
Regards,
Skid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.