Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kel Tec PF9 anybody know anything about these? Thinking about buying one.

I was in a gunshop the other day and got looking at a Kel Tec PF9 9mm. Does anybody know anything about these? I'm looking at it for CC. It seems to have a roughened surface on it making it a sure grip gun. I liked that. It was my first experience with a double-action semi-automatic hand gun. Trigger seemed heavy and long but for what it would be used for I guess it would not be a problem. The spring for the slide seemed really heavy, Salesman said it needed to be for these little guns to work.

Salesman also told me these Kel Tecs were designed by Nasa engineers, anybody know if this is true? If I buy it new does it come with the extra piece that attaches to the magazine to improve the grip (I forgot to ask)?

I was told the gun would likely be accurate out to about 15 feet, but being a CC gun I guess that would be more then enough wouldn't it? It has a rail on the bottom of the slide, which seems out of place on a CC gun.

I look forward to your responses, Thanks in advance,

grey

I have one and really like it.
    No failures to date.
    There are of course Kel-Tec detractors but
    I've been a fan for years and have several models.

видеодон

Check out the Kel-Tec Owners Group, they have a lot of information from owners of the PF-9. I have the little .32 and although a weak round, the gun has never been a problem as far as functioning.

When I got mine it I was looking the thinnest, lightest, easiest to conceal semi auto I could find that didn't cost a fortune. There were several in .380 that met those requirements, but the PF9 gave me those things in 9mm. I really like mine.

Got 2 and a P3A(?), the .380. I like them all and have had no problems. Actually the .380 took a bit to find out what ammo it like but since then not a single problem. None from the go with the PF9. Hardly know I am carrying them.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society!
    Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

I have one and really like it. They are a shoot a little carry a lot sort of gun. If you are the type that likes to shoot 200 rounds at a time you might be disappointed with it. They are a bear to hang onto at first. You really have to jamb your hands together with this one. The trigger is fine to me but I am an old revolver shooter.

I have a p11, it's big brother, and would trade it for the of just for the slimmer profile. My kel tec has been great for 7-8 yrs. or so.
    "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." -- Shane

Who is John Galt?

Like he said, probably not a really good range gun. Kel Tecs have also taken a hit for fit and finish from some of the (fill in the bank) snobs out there. Customer service is great. Could be a real pocket gun. I have three KTs (none a PF() and like all three.

I have one, it's my carry piece. Fits right in my pocket. Mine does not like heavy sub-sonic 9mm JHPs, but cycles 124gr +Ps just fine.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Barksdale123 View Post
    Like he said, probably not a really good range gun. Kel Tecs have also taken a hit for fit and finish from some of the (fill in the bank) snobs out there. Customer service is great. Could be a real pocket gun. I have three KTs (none a PF() and like all three.
    What's the problem with the finish? I like the look and feel of it. I imagine it has a little bit of kick for the little gun and I'll take what ever help I can get to help hang on to it, plus helps when the need should come to pull it. Some of the other ones were a little slick and I actually had my hand slip on it when trying to pick it up.

Is it true they have a lifetime warranty?
    If you think gun control is the answer, look what happened in Australia when they banned all hand guns in 1996? NEW LINK! 8/3/2013
    Try here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4tS0DGDf0I
    or here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyS3CEIbpJo

English Warning "Our Gun Ban caused 40% jump in Gun Crime" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTyCD2n6HAQ

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by greyheadedguy View Post
    Salesman also told me these Kel Tecs were designed by Nasa engineers, anybody know if this is true?
    Kel-Tec is located in Cocoa, Florida. I would be very surprised if it didn't employ some refugees from NASA, which has suffered through some very hard times. I'd prefer, however, that my guns be designed by an experienced arms designer, as I do not plan to orbit a bullet any time soon.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

You will have to buy the finger rest for the magazine.
    I have the .32 and the P-11 . I like both of them . the P11 is more accurate because of the heftier grip.
    If Guns Make People Kill, Then Pencils Misspell Words, Cars Make Poeple Drive Drunk, And Spoons And Forks Make People Fat !

Self Defense Is The Most Basic Human Right.

I have bought every Kel-tec pistol when they came out.
    Normally I buy all guns used, but for Kel-tecs I make and exception.
    I got the P11, P32, P40, P357S, P3AT, PF9.

I own my weight in handguns and I mostly carry just two of them. I alternate between the LCP with laser in my shirt pocket and the PF9 in my jacket pocket.

The PF9 can take the double load with Power Pistol, just like P11, but the recoil hurts even worse.

Okay, after looking at these posts and looking at Kel Tec's web site, I am now looking at the P11, seeing as it seems to be about the same price as the PF9. How does the P11 compare? It looks like basically the same gun but with a double stack magazine. Does the bigger grip give it a better grip, make it easier to hold on to? I'm considering inside the waistband at the small of my back. With my build I tend to have a little bit of room there. If it was you which would you buy PF9 or P11?
    If you think gun control is the answer, look what happened in Australia when they banned all hand guns in 1996? NEW LINK! 8/3/2013
    Try here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4tS0DGDf0I
    or here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyS3CEIbpJo

English Warning "Our Gun Ban caused 40% jump in Gun Crime" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTyCD2n6HAQ

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The PF9 is easier to carry concealed.

If we carried on the outside of our clothes, there would be no Kel-Tec company.

Borrow one and shoot it before spending the money.
    Everyone had different taste and expectations.
    I went back to a revolver.
    640 SW and a 66
    The P 11 lasted two weeks. Nice to carry if you never use it.
    The mini 9 goes back a long way to the Detonics pocket 9 .
    Small is not always best.
    think carry mode and holster and reliability plus accuracy.
    Then choose , if it were a precise science we would have only one gun.
    Have a great day and don't stereotype anyone. Do unto others as we would have done to us.

BULL

Okay, after looking at these posts and looking at Kel Tec's web site, I am now looking at the P11, seeing as it seems to be about the same price as the PF9. How does the P11 compare? It looks like basically the same gun but with a double stack magazine. Does the bigger grip give it a better grip, make it easier to hold on to? I'm considering inside the waistband at the small of my back. With my build I tend to have a little bit of room there. If it was you which would you buy PF9 or P11?
    I am looking at both of these also. I don't own either one but, after some research and comparing them side by side, I am probably going with the PF9. The thing that decided it for me was the trigger pull. Compared to the P11 the PF9 has a much better trigger pull. Dry firing it was easier to keep steady and on target. The grip was better for me with the P11 but the trigger was really crappy and hard to keep the pistol steady on target. The PF9 seemed to require half the effort for the trigger.
    Der Krieg findet immer einen Ausweg.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    The PF9 is easier to carry concealed.

If we carried on the outside of our clothes, there would be no Kel-Tec company.
    There would be a Keltec if my open carry piece was a .308 RFB!!!
    Der Krieg findet immer einen Ausweg.

Quote Originally Posted by pak75 View Post
    I am looking at both of these also. I don't own either one but, after some research and comparing them side by side, I am probably going with the PF9. The thing that decided it for me was the trigger pull. Compared to the P11 the PF9 has a much better trigger pull. Dry firing it was easier to keep steady and on target. The grip was better for me with the P11 but the trigger was really crappy and hard to keep the pistol steady on target. The PF9 seemed to require half the effort for the trigger.
    Go to a store that has more than one example of each, trigger pull varies from example to example of the same pistol model! Some are much better than others. Trigger pull will smooth up with use, and a little lubrication!

Kel Tec does have a lifetime guarantee; and it doesn't have to be used frequently, unlike Taurus, of which 1 of 4 will have to go back to the factory out of the box, I my experience.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

humbug is offline Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator

I have a PF9. Never choked on any ammo that I tried. Not too bad sights for a pocket pistol. Decent trigger. I carry mine front pocket in a GALCO horsehide holster made for a PPK.

My PF9 has been super reliable over the last couple years.

I have two P-11's (his & hers) and they are both great little pistols. Both of them have the old P-40 guide rod and springs in them with a polished ramp, throated barrel and belt clips. Both of these P-11's have never failed to go bang. The upgraded rod and springs reduced the muzzle flip alot and they are extremely accurate now for a sub compact 9mm. 8" plate at 50' and all ten rounds are securely on the paper. Not to bad at 50' for a sub compact carry gun. The PF9 is a nice little pistol also. Can't really offer a comparison because I don't own a PF9 "Yet". People I shoot with have the PF9 and what I think is it depends on what fits your hand and feels comfortable. I don't think you will be disappointed with either one. As for the warranty, Kel Tec warranties the gun for lifetime to the original owner. However, I have heard that they rarely care and will fix most any of their guns for free. It's hit or miss though on that. I've not had to take the P-11's to them but they were great on the PMR-30 issues.

I have a P11 barrel that I have throated to fit .358" 158 gr bullets seated at 1.169".

I have been shooting it with 11 gr of Power Pistol.
    That is a double load.

The PF9 is mechanically very similar in the parts involved with hot loads.

I carry the PF9 now, and I own my weight in handguns.
    It is a lot of fire power for little space and weight.

What does it all mean?
    They are very tough little pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by jjk308 View Post
    . I'd prefer, however, that my guns be designed by an experienced arms designer, as I do not plan to orbit a bullet any time soon.
    This is a classic response. I don't disagree at all. However, after buying my daughter a Ruger LCP
    with the bias that Ruger must be a better pistol, I now think Kel Tec is as good or better. It sure looks
    like the LCP is a copy cat Kel Tec and the Ruger is made cheap. The Ruger does work flawlessly so I
    I am good with the kid having it in her purse.

I have the LCP and the P3AT.

The case support is .27" and .29" respectively.
    They are both about the worst 380s in existence for case support. [A big piece of junk Bryco can take twice the overload.]

But that poor case support in the little 380s corresponds to 1100 fps from the short barrels with 90 gr bullets, with Power Pistol.
    In factory ammo, Buffalobore +P does the same thing.

The only advantages I can see is that there is a good pocket clip for the Kel-Tec and a good laser for the Ruger.

So if it is going in the shirt pocket, use the Kel-tec and if it is going in the jacket pocket, use the Ruger.
    In either case, 1100 fps 90 gr Gold Dots are a lot of protection for a pistol so small and light, I can't feel I am carrying it.

I've had both a P11 and a couple P3ATs for several years. The P11 has essentially the same footprint as the PF9, but it is significantly thicker. I prefer the P11 because it will hold S&W 59 series high cap mags. The trigger on the P11 isn't as nice as the PF9, which is based on the P3AT design, and can measure out to as much as 11lbs out of the box. However, and should know this if you are contemplating entering the Kel-Tec fold, the key to developing a good bond with a Kel-Tec pistol is to do a good fluff and buff on the slide and rail, and in the case of the P11 buff/polish/lube the trigger bar then install an overtravel pad behind the trigger. Its a little bit of work but the effort pays off tenfold. I measured the trigger pull on my P11 yesterday at 9lbs and my buddy's which measured just over 7lbs. He polished his trigger a couple years ago when he got it and it really paid off. Thing is, Kel-Tecs are kinda like Harleys. They can be temperamental and need some love but the work they need can be performed by the the owner. You don't need to pay a gunsmith to do it.

As for the PF9, everytime I consider buying one I can never convince myself that it is going to be a significant upgrade to my P11. I'm sure I'll eventually get one sooner rather than later. Just don't bother with a River LCP or LC9. To me, they are just copy cat Keltecs anyway... IMHO. Happy shopping. Cheers!

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk
    "Life is tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

I was in a gunshop the other day and got looking at a Kel Tec PF9 9mm. Does anybody know anything about these? I'm looking at it for CC. It seems to have a roughened surface on it making it a sure grip gun. I liked that. It was my first experience with a double-action semi-automatic hand gun. Trigger seemed heavy and long but for what it would be used for I guess it would not be a problem. The spring for the slide seemed really heavy, Salesman said it needed to be for these little guns to work.

Salesman also told me these Kel Tecs were designed by Nasa engineers, anybody know if this is true? If I buy it new does it come with the extra piece that attaches to the magazine to improve the grip (I forgot to ask)?

I was told the gun would likely be accurate out to about 15 feet, but being a CC gun I guess that would be more then enough wouldn't it? It has a rail on the bottom of the slide, which seems out of place on a CC gun.

I look forward to your responses, Thanks in advance,

grey
    As far as I know it was designed by the owner/starter of kel tec -- George Kellgren --- who was a foreign gun engineer and had nothing to do with nasa.

It is not a double action gun, it is double action only. Double actions remain cocked (internally or not) after the first shot, this design requires the shooter to fight the hammer spring every shot.

The magazine bases are not sold with it, or didnt use to be? You can find out more at the KTOG forum on how to get the extended mags, or the Kel tec web site?

The rail is for a light (dumb, on such a small gun, IMHO) or a laser (also dumb on a cheap gun, IMHO). It is of no practical use.

The gun is probably accurate to 50+ yards if you mounted it to something unmovable. However, with a short sight radius, hefty recoil, insanely bad trigger pull, small grip, and other CCW friendly features, it is unlikely that most shooters can hit anything past a few yards, correct. If you have really good skills and very strong hands/wrists, you may fare better farther out.

I had one, did not realize it was DAO when I bought it (duh... a spur of the moment gun show purchase). I had the p40, actually, but its the same thing in .40 S&W. Kel tech has excellent service and IMHO provides a needed niche in the firearms market: inexpensive guns so that anyone can afford something to defend themself with. Personally, my old & weak hands can't handle this type of action, so while I am a fan of sorts (and I love my plr 16) I won't be owning one of their CCW pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnin View Post
    As far as I know it was designed by the owner/starter of kel tec -- George Kellgren --- who was a foreign gun engineer and had nothing to do with nasa.
    When I was in the Boeing lightning lab ~ 3 years ago [Where the manager said my client can have another free day of testing if they send ME again] I saw some electro magnetic test fixtures made by Kel-Tec in FL. These were Aluminum boxes with radio frequency output connectors.

The "Kel" came from the Swede's name.
    $5 will get you $10 he has, or has had, more going on than guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    When I was in the Boeing lightning lab ~ 3 years ago [Where the manager said my client can have another free day of testing if they send ME again] I saw some electro magnetic test fixtures made by Kel-Tec in FL. These were Aluminum boxes with radio frequency output connectors.

The "Kel" came from the Swede's name.
    $5 will get you $10 he has, or has had, more going on than guns.
    Interesting!

Whether he is a nasa engineer or just did a contract or 2 or whatever, he is for sure skilled and innovative. And it is still a bit of a stretch for some salesman to claim the gun was built by some sort of team of nasa engineers.

I could make the claim as well -- worked on the a couple of x planes under the small business contract system (sbir). Somewhere, in all their stuff, are a few files with my name on em (software). Looks a lot better on a resume than it really should, given what little I did, but its no lie

Keltec did/does some work for Nasa, only buy a newer version of a PF9 they have all the latest updates which older ones dont aside from that a Great gun!

This is a Kel-Tec traveling wave tube amplifier. I don't do anything that high in frequency, but I recognize the drab aerospace colors.

I finally made it back to my favorite gun shop and got a chance to look at Kel-Tec P11. I like the larger grip a lot better then the PF9, but the trigger on the P11 is really heavy and long compared to the PF9. Is this common?. Unfortunately the store only had one P11 so I could not compare to another P11. They had two PF9s and both triggers felt the same. Does anybody make a gun similar to the P11 but with a metal frame? I'd like to see if somebody does so I can look at them and compare and possibly go rent one of each and compare the light composite frame to a heavier metal frame.

I hear a lot on this string of people talking about carrying their pistol in various pockets.

You need to check into and know what the carry law in your state requires in this regard. In Ohio, I know for a fact the law states the pistol needs to be carried in a holster, and you CAN get in trouble if you are caught carrying it al fresco.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post
    I hear a lot on this string of people talking about carrying their pistol in various pockets.

You need to check into and know what the carry law in your state requires in this regard. In Ohio, I know for a fact the law states the pistol needs to be carried in a holster, and you CAN get in trouble if you are caught carrying it al fresco.
    We have a CC permit and what the group that got it passed called a "Constitutional Carry," which is CC w/o a permit. There are some benefits for having the permit, plus the reciprocity with like 32 other states. We don't have the restrictions here in Arizona that you have in Ohio

I had a P-11 and the only thing I didn't like was the blued finish would rust if you just looked at it,I think I'd like another but want the parked one this time.

And the trigger on mine was the same-akin to a staple gun,but it worked!

And I had a PF-9 for a month,thing ate a hole in my hand so I tossed it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Krull View Post
    I had a P-11 and the only thing I didn't like was the blued finish would rust if you just looked at it,I think I'd like another but want the parked one this time.

And the trigger on mine was the same-akin to a staple gun,but it worked!

And I had a PF-9 for a month,thing ate a hole in my hand so I tossed it back.
    If I get one it will definitely be parked, and the hole in the hand was my impression after holding it after holding the P11. PF9 just has a way to skinny grip to it. I wondered if it would tear up my hand too badly, kind of the reason for the question of a similar sized metal framed gun would help to counter the recoil.

you can get a pocket holster if your state requires this. Georgia does (I often cross the state line, and GA law is heavily tied to big city mentality of atlanta), TN does not seem to care. But whatever your law is, I recommend a holster for most pocket carry. A kel tec you can probably skip the holster if you want: no safety to knock off, and to pull that trigger on purpose is hard enough, to pull it by accident via snag is going to take some creative carelessness.

There are small metal guns that will fit into a pocket. I use the term metal freely, though. If you mean steel, there are a lot less of those. You want a steel pocket 9mm, get a cz rami? Its a very good piece, by the way. It comes in both steel and polymer, so pay attention if you go that route.

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-K9-Black.asp is the closest thing I can find to an all steel DAO gun in a smallish frame.
    Last edited by Jonnin; 03-30-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Rumor hath it that Mr. Zimmerman, of Sanford, FL used a PF9 in hios recent dust-up. Whether that is a recommendation or not I leave to others.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

If I'm not in the backyard, I am out in the desert

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Rumor hath it that Mr. Zimmerman, of Sanford, FL used a PF9 in hios recent dust-up. Whether that is a recommendation or not I leave to others.
    ah...never mind. I was going to comment, but I will let it go. Good point, Clyde.
    I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position. I have never said anything to the contrary. ~ Lincoln, Aug. 21, 1858, in remarks stating his belief that blacks were naturally inferior to Whites. http://www.lewrockwell.com/2002/10/a...raham-lincoln/

The Lincoln Myth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgH_NlbM0eM

I tend to carry the lightest pistol I own in that cartridge.
    380: LCP with +P
    9mm: PF9 with +P+
    357 mag: 640 with 38sp
    45acp: P10 with 45Super

The lighter the better, usually the LCP or P3AT, but since the Florida shooting,
    I find myself carrying the PF9.

It must be the power of suggestion.

And the DSantis Super Fly M44 pocket holster makes it easier to carry than just shoving it in the pocket.

You can improve the trigger on the p11 with some tlc. My buddy and I have both got our trigger pulls down to a little under 8lbs. Unfortunately there aren't any aftermarket triggers available. The pull is heavy due to the design of the trigger mechanism itself, inparticular the trigger spring. It's a reliable pistol though. If you buy one, I recommend a hard chrome slide.

Also, a Hogue grip sleeve...

right in the middle of Gods little waiting room

Might try a Diamondback DB 9 in 9mm luger. Made in Cocoa beach Fl. Just a little better fit and finish. I have one and I like it
    Oldgoat46
    " In Biblical times Samson slew 40,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. Everyday an equal number of sales are killed by the use of the same weapon."

I paid some guy $5 to send me a slice of bike inner tube, that I then put on the PF9 grip.

http://www.ktaddons.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails De Santis gunhide superfly holster with  PF9  with velco flap  removed 3-19-2012.jpg  

For $5, do it yourself. I have 2 p3ats that have intertube sleeves on them. They work like a charm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast