Gunboards Forums banner

6.5x54R

10K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  jonny c. 
#1 ·
Anyone have any experience with this cartridge. CH4D has the dies. My question is "Can brass be formed in the sizer die or is another form die required?" I figure the neck will have to be turned for thickness.

Thanks,

#4 ·
If it's the dutch round, I form cases for my No. 5 carbine. Here's what I have written down from my prior trails and failures.

Start with 303 cases. I found remington worked the best with the least failures.

Run through 7.62x54r Neck sizer

Then run through 7x57 mauser neck sizer

then full length size in 6.5 sizer die.

Trim to 53.5

Fire form, then anneal. Good to go.

My notes say to make sure that the 54r neck sizer needs to complety touch the ram.

I use dies for the 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schönauer as the case dimensons are nearly exact with the exception of the rim./ Dan

#6 ·
I finally found commercial brass. Bertram makes it. Haven't found anything else yet.

#7 ·
With proper lube and a strong press (and I'd suggest anneaing before and after forming), ought to be able to make a single pass form. Bertram brass would probably be easier. Presuming this is the Russki round based on the 7.62x54R...

#8 ·
Yes, this is the Russian round. Think I may try necking some new Winchester brass before I buy Bertram.

#9 ·
DO NOT try to make 6,5x53R Dutch IN ONE PASS from either .303 or 30/40 Krag...you will get about 50% case collapses. Commercial brass is TOO soft.

First set back the Shoulder with a .308 die (NO need for a 7,62x54R...308 is more common) Then one can either step down with a 7mm -08 die, or go direct to 6,5x53R die.
FInally trim to 53mm OA Case-L. And to top it off, Lightly Anneal. (Case neck and 1/4 inch of shoulder).

Regards,
Doc AV

#12 ·
Send me an email at this handle at yahoo dot com
I can give you a detailed step by step process that yields nearly 100% good cases.
Always use new .303 Brass .30-40 Krag brass is too large on the rim.

#13 ·
If anyone is interested, I think I still have a half a box of the original Soviet 6.5x54R Biathlon rounds left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.