Thread: 6.5X55 Reload data for H4831

Default 6.5X55 Reload data for H4831

It is time I start reloading a few rounds now. Not serious target or competition rounds. For 30 years I reloaded a lot.
    Big time into it. But, not for last 10 years. I have one m96 now and another on the way.
    Brass will be kept separate. I am only going to load with the Lee Classic loader for now. I will be using H4831 as I am
    familiar with it for decades now. I know, but I am just going to use the Lee spoons to start.

Bullets will be Hornady Flat based 140 spire points and Hornady 160RN bullets. Ranges will only be 100 to 200yds for 99.9 %
    of my use. Now, for that powder and bullet combination, what do you guys recommend from experience with a minimum and maximum load.
    I will pick a spoon in that range for each bullet. I simply care for accuracy, not velocity, and perhaps for hunting at those ranges maximum.
    Safety comes first with me and my rifles.

I do not know if those Hodgden tables are safe to use or not. I am old enough that I prefer one that does not tear up this old right shoulder from recoil. Thank You Guys!

I use 46 gr H4831 with a 140 gr Sierra SPBT bullet. Mild recoil and very accurate out of both my M38 and CZ 550 FS

Stevan, the Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th edition, page 178 list the H4831SC (short grain version of the H4831) for the 6.5x55mm with min. 41.5 grains and max. 46 grains. Both values are given for a 140 gr. jacketed HPBT(hollow point boat tail) and a 160 gr. jacketed RN(round nose). I would recommend to start at the min. side and work your way up until you hit the sweet spot of your rifle in comparison to your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by box View Post
    Stevan, the Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th edition, page 178 list the H4831SC (short grain version of the H4831) for the 6.5x55mm with min. 41.5 grains and max. 46 grains. Both values are given for a 140 gr. jacketed HPBT(hollow point boat tail) and a 160 gr. jacketed RN(round nose). I would recommend to start at the min. side and work your way up until you hit the sweet spot of your rifle in comparison to your shoulder.
    I also got a new Lee Powder dipper set. My older one was made in say 170-74 range. Obsolete for today.
    It has a dipper with a nominal 42.8 grains shown. That may be a good one! Next dipper up is shown as 46.9 grains. Probably too hot to use.

I've used 44.0 grains H4831 with 140 grain Remington soft points with a velocity of 2449 ft/sec. and gave me very good groups.

I was just thinking about this topic. I've got all the components to reload for the 6.5x55 but haven't done any yet. I've got a M38 and now a M94 (gotta get a 96 at some point) but I suspect there are some better loads for the shorter barrels than with the standard M96 loads. Anyone come up with some loads they prefer for the shorter barrels?