Default OT- Paypal really is run by idiots!

i know, i have heard all of the "boo paypal" threads and never really paid much attention to them as i never really used it before. i started selling off my parts collection on ebay in January as i figured i would be home more often with the baby. with no sales in December, and starting to sell in the middle of January i was doing well. i sold lots of items in february as well. all of my sales went smooth with the exception of one buyer who purchased something he knew nothing about and then lied to ebay in order to get a refund. that being said, i have 40+ positive feedbacks with no negatives, no neutrals.....only positives over the last two months. today i had a hold placed on my account for no reason. i called paypal and was told by an ignorant woman that i had no sales this month so they placed a hold on my account. then she backpedaled after i provided her with my sales record that was contrary to her info. she then told me she had no idea why the hold was placed on the account. long story short is that i spoke to a supervisor and he told me the "spike" in sales is the reason why my account was on hold. i explained my excellent feedback rating, and that i was pissed because i could not access my money. he said it was paypal's policy to place a hold because they want to assure that new sellers are providing good service to the customer. i pointed out for the 4th time that my record was flawless as a seller. his response was lackluster and he spoke in circles trying to cover paypal's butt.

some things i learned the hard way that you guys may want to know and try to avoid are:

1. paypal can place a hold on your account at any time for any reason. they say the money is still yours, but you cannot touch, transfer, or use that money in any way until they re-evaluate your account every 30 days or so.
    2. all packages you send for items paid through paypal MUST have delivery confirmation on them or you will not be covered by any sellers protection. a register receipt from the post office stating the zip code the item was sent to will do you absolutely no good.
    3. if you ship an item valued at over $250, you MUST pay for signature confirmation. if you do not, you will not be covered by any seller protection.
    4. it is useless to try and talk to anyone about your account. they have no answers for you or they outright lie to you in a very nice voice.

use this info to the best of your ability. the paypal website is not user friendly to say the least, as it is nearly impossible to find any answers to any questions on there. hope this post, while not a Japanese related topic, helps out those of us who think paypal is a decent company to patronize.

I try to limit my Paypal transactions to international only - as it is about the only way to get paid from overseas!

Otherwise they are way too anti-gun to support; and they are part of ebay, another bunch of anti-gun jerks.

Not only can they freeze your access to your own $$; since they are a bank, they can claw back funds even after you have transferred them to your own bank!
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

I only use Pay Pal to buy stuff but never to sell. I stopped using ebay when they decided to require sellers to use Pay Pal. To me, it's none of their f**king business how I get paid. Too much like our dear leader, Oblabla - control freaks!
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated
    The Borg

I've received three notices over the past few months. The first one told me my funds would be held for 21 days (in addition to the Ebay delay). The second said my funds were now immediately available, and the third told me they would be held again. I have verified all of my info and have a credit card linked to the account. My credit is perfect. I lost about $400 from Gunpal, so I try and get my cash out as soon as possible. Either the whole system is loaded with fraudulent users, or they are control freaks like Adogs said: probably both. Either way, the whole system linked with ebay sucks. It's very surprising that no big venture has tried to compete with ebay/paypal. I really wonder if they were partly behind the failure of gunpal.

I have had one problem with ebay/paypal.They will always side with the buyer!
    Other then that I have no problems.

Watch out for BUY IT NOW. If you commit they require you to open a paypal account to complete the transaction if using a credit, gift, etc. card. Like many of you I have perfect feedback going all the way back to the start of ebay. Before requiring paypal I sold much on the site. No more. I now have a "No payment buyer". So, I found the seller's web site and purchased direct. Ebay got nothing and I got the item at a great price. Whew, that felt good!
    John

Ruth ordered a pair of shoes using a credit card. Somehow ????the company advertising the shoes ran it through Paypal, an account I hadn't used in years and thought I had closed, the card had expired. The shoes came from CHINA, too little and no return address in English. Paypal said since I had not ordered through them, "tough." This happened once before when I ordered from East Coast Miatas.

The whole ebay policy of requiring you use pay-pal should be an illegal monopoly since it forces you to pay fee's to and thru a single source thats affiliated with ebay itself,and completely sidesteps our banking practices..I foresee an eventual lawsuit forcing them to stop the practice,until then I dont buy there anymore

Why use pay pal ?

Lose it .

FIVESHOT

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    The whole ebay policy of requiring you use pay-pal should be an illegal monopoly since it forces you to pay fee's to and thru a single source thats affiliated with ebay itself,and completely sidesteps our banking practices..I foresee an eventual lawsuit forcing them to stop the practice,until then I dont buy there anymore
    Just FYI, PayPal IS a bank; with a business wrapped around it. That's how they can get money back out of your "other" bank account or charge back you credit card.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Near Charlotte, NC

Quote Originally Posted by FIVESHOT View Post
    Why use pay pal ?

Lose it .

FIVESHOT
    If one wants or needs to send or receive $$ overseas, it is just about the only option; that is the only reason I still use them.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Near Charlotte, NC

This thread made me transfer all the little money that I had out of paypal.
    What I really don't understand is that ebay charges you a fee when you sell and then they don't take that fee out right away so the whole amount goes to paypal and then paypal charges you their fees on the whole amount.
    Why should they be charging fees on the amount that ebay is going to take out?

Just in case I confused someone I want to break it down.
    Say I sold something for $100
    Then ebay charges say $10
    When the buyer makes the payment the total payment of $100 goes to paypal and they charge 3% or $3.
    What I am saying is why are they charging me 3% on the money that ebay charges me for their final fees?

I would assume that eBay and Paypal are 2 separate identities and they are both wetting their beaks.

It's a win win for them.
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

paypal is actually owned by ebay. ebay purchased paypal a year or two ago i believe and since then they have been raping people on fee after fee. I have a perfect seller rating, great credit rating, and still i am being punished. the employees i spoke with at paypal about this issue were clueless and couldn't give me a straight answer. one woman told me she didn't know why my account was restricted, and that no manager could tell me why either. the manager i spoke with told me it was a spike in sales that put my account on hold, but if that were true, it would have happened back in January when i started selling after year of inactive selling on ebay. the email i got from paypal told me my account was put on hold because i have been flagged as a seller that is not providing adequate service to its customers in spite of my perfect feedback. a review will be conducted 30-35 days from now and a decision will then be made if i can have my full account rights restored. as a seller with perfect feedback i am now at the mercy of a corrupt organization.

on a related note, the manager i spoke with informed me that there are indeed multiple ways to get paid through ebay and that there is actually a page on ebay that shows you which forms of payment you can accept. it must only be visible to employees as i have never found this mythical page. i just can't believe the level of stupidity that ebay and paypal exhibit both in the market and corporate levels.

Never had PayPal or ever used it on eBay. When I see an item I would like to bid on, I email the seller and inquire if they, in addition to PayPal, also accept other forms of payment, ie., USPS MO, cashiers check, etc., 98% of the time, they say yes.

I've shipped and received items from Spain ,

Norway , Canada and England and never

used pay pal .

FIVESHOT

IMH experience, Paypal is too much trouble. So far I have no one insist on a payment via Paypal...Besides, I never want tp be in a position where someone can freeze my account
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of smart.

"I would never shoot someone and then run them over, unless or course they had it comin"
    pcanhot-

I recently received a refund through Paypal due to the seller overcharging me for shipping. The S.O.B.s took a fee from my refund! WTF?

i quit e-bay several years ago when you were forced to use paypal,plus their insane policies toward firearm parts. my wife buys with a paypal account,via a debit card she only keeps 10.00 in to keep it active. i take checks,USPMO. i have never lost a cent with a personal check,i only send when the check clears. eastbank.

It's the part where they can freeze your money and reach into your bank (sorry but I'd open a burner account JUST for them, as in an account you can transfer money in just for pay pal if forced to use them)
    OH, and the part were it's 'your money' except or until they decide not to give it to you, makes me wonder just what state or federal charter they are incorporated under as a bank.

Me, I like USPS MO's cause they cost a buck, and provide a pretty good dispute process.
    Live, learn and be happy.
    Vic

tell you what. instead of whining about how paypal sssuuuccckkksss!!!! do something about it. i did. i cancelled my account months ago. so i won't be able to trade on ebay you say without paypal. oh well, i'm willing to do without. you know the old saying, if you sleep with the enemy or work for the enemy you are the enemy. grow a set and put your money where your mouth is.

wow surfnhogan! who peed in your wheaties? i guess it makes some folks feel better about themselves to cut down others.

Actually, PayPal is NOT a bank because it doesn't engage in fractional reserve banking (maintaining cash/coin reserves at a central bank that are a fraction of their customer's accounts). Rather, PayPal keeps our funds in interest-bearing checking accounts. Accordingly, PayPal is not classified as a bank in the U.S. and thus is not subject to many of the rules and regulations that control the U.S. banking industry. This gives it the ability to take actions relative to our accounts that a bank could not (i.e., actions that constitute abuse). As a further point of clarification, PayPal was acquired by Ebay 10 years ago, not 2 years ago. Since then, it has gobbled up competitors or driven them out of business (Citibank's c2it, Yahoo's Pay Direct, BidPay, etc.)

If you want to read more about PayPal abuses, check out these cites:
    http://www.paypalsucks.com/
    http://paypalcomplaints.org/

i'm not picking on anyone here in particular, just the IDEA that bitching about something without doing anything about it is obviously USELESS. paypal sucks and so does ebay, it's parent company. ebay is notoriously anti-gun. i've had plenty of bad experiences with paypal and i get fed up with their bullsh*t. gee, i feel so good about paying ebay their listing prices, than being FORCED to use paypal which ebay ownes. i tried listing my things for sale as "usps mo or bank check only. no paypal". all that got me were complaints from their pussy-ass members that i was breaking the rules. we all use gunbroker from time to time and that's bacically cash only, buyer beware and it works. so if you want to use paypal, go ahead, but don't complain about their tactics or the fact they got you by the balls and are charging you twice for each transaction, the listing fee and their paypal charge. that's why i CANCELLED MY ACCOUNT.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmosby View Post
    Watch out for BUY IT NOW. If you commit they require you to open a paypal account to complete the transaction if using a credit, gift, etc. card. Like many of you I have perfect feedback going all the way back to the start of ebay. Before requiring paypal I sold much on the site. No more. I now have a "No payment buyer". So, I found the seller's web site and purchased direct. Ebay got nothing and I got the item at a great price. Whew, that felt good!
    John

100 % wrong! You can buy on E-Bay without signing up for Pay-Pal, just use a Debit or CC and your payment will be made courtesy of Pay-Pal!

I have ordered about 12 items from E-Bay in the last month and never signed up for a Pay-Pal Account!

One seller refunded shipping for $8. since he was able to combine 2 orders and it was refunded to my account per Pay-Pal instantly!

I'd say Paypal peed in his wheaties!

Now..can we start a thread about how you can buy a hooker on Craigslist, but can't sell a gun?