Gunboards Forums banner

Siamese Type 66

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  1886lebel 
#1 ·
I just received this very neat Siamese Type 66 Arisaka in trade, which I understand was purchased by the Siamese in the 1920s and was then used by them in their war with the French in 1940, alongside Japanese-suplus T-38s. Anyone know anything more about them? It's a very neat rifle, I'm surprised at all the small differences I notice when comparing it to my T-38. Aside from the obvious difference in rear sight, the bands are screwed in rather than spring retained, the cleaning rod has a different head and threads in rather than being spring retained, the barrel is a constant diameter without being stepped down for the bayonet muzzle ring, and the front sight isn't mounted on a band around the barrel. Most interestingly to me, the length of pull is about an inch shorter, I imagine because of the small stature of the average Thai soldier.

See less See more
#3 ·
Very interesting! I'd never seen a side-by-side comparison before. Thanks for posting it!

#4 ·
I got one of these and they are super accurate just like the Type 46 Siamese Mauser.
Frank Allen wrote a whole chapter in his book, The Type 38 Arisaka Action, on these weapons, I highly recommend you get the book to learn more.
The Thai's also used alot of Type 46 and Type 47 in the Franco-Thai War as well as the above mentioned weapons.
I was lucky to get a bayonet for mine from Frank :)

Patrick

#5 ·
Very nice. And --- you have what appears to be one of the rare correct cleaning rods. Congrats on a nice find. Your serial number is 14466 and is a previously unreported survivor. Patrick gave you the short history. What else would you like to know?

Not many of these made it to the U.S. due to import restrictions being in place when they were surplused.

Frank

#7 ·
Coincidentally enough, I am in Canada. I had guessed the serial number based on the assumption the rear sight is graduated from 300-2000 meters but it's good to know I was right. Would they have been phased out in favor of 6.5mm weapons after the Japanese occupation?

#8 ·
No, actually they were retained till the 1960's.
You have to understand that Thailand was an ALLIED with Japan during WWII ... it is a long story.
Thailand declared war on the US but was not delievered by the ambassador as he was against it, then at the end of the war Thailand sent a formal surrender to the US and that is when they found out that it was never delievered. Thailand was attacked by both Brtish and American bombers during the war but against Japanese targets there. The Thailand Free Movement gave us valuable information during the war.
The Thai military did fight against China in an area called the Shan States to regain control over that area ... an excellent website is on this campaign ... http://web.archive.org/web/20091027105105/http://geocities.com/thailandwwii/ftw.html

Patrick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.