Question Is 9x21 The Same As 9mm Largo ?

I had posted this in the ammo forum but I think you folks might know the answer. I have a Star super and Astra pistol in 9mm Largo the gun shop gave me some 9x21 Sellier & Bellot can this ammo be used in these pistols. Thanks

Bob In St. Louis is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member/Super Moderator

NO!!!!!

Absolutely the wrong ammo!

The 9mm Largo cartridge is 9 x 23mm
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco

Thanks Bob, this ammo is going back

Bob In St. Louis is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member/Super Moderator

The 9 x 21 cartridge is a common round in a few European countries where the government has mandated that civilians cannot own weapons chambered for the same caliber as the military - thus the 9 x 21 was born as a commercial cartridge and chambering to fill this niche. Very few of these guns have made it to the US market, but for some reason a bunch of this 9 x 21 ammo was brought into the US. Since then, stupid or unscroupulous dealers have been trying to pass it off as 9mm Largo ammo.
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco

Quote Originally Posted by Bob In St. Louis View Post
    Since then, stupid or unscroupulous dealers have been trying to pass it off as 9mm Largo ammo.
    They are really stupids, as the 9x21 has in fact the same overall dimensions as the 9 Parabellum. Anyone can know that's not 9 Largo just with a quick look at the cartridge. It's just a 9 Parabellum cartidge with a 2mm longer case covering the bullet.

I am an international patron of Gunboards

Sarco had an error in their Largo ammo ad in SGN for a while, calling it 9x21. I think that has been fixed (I called them).

For any new Largo shooters, Winchester 9x23 is NOT usable in a Largo gun. 'Way too high pressure. CB

<edit> Noticed recently that only part of the error in their ad has been fixed. They do still offer both corrosive and non-corrosive 9x23 at what is now looking like more and more of a bargain. CB
    Last edited by criticalbass; 02-11-2008 at 07:58 PM.