Default Concealed Cary in a VW Jetta

Just bought a new VW Jetta and have just discovered that there is no way to lock the truck separately
    from the front of the car.

No longer can I lock my piece in the trunk and hand the valet key to the parking lot attendent and
    walk away - nor leave guns or other valuables locked in the trunk when taking the car in for service
    or washing. It should have sent off an alarm when I wasn't given a valet key. Anyone having a key
    to the front of the car has access to the trunk also.

For all I know this may be true of other new cars.........its worth checking out before you buy one.

Or have I just been spoiled by cars having a separate lock on the trunk??

There is no key lock on the inside to lock the trunk release? Could one be added. Every Toyota or Honda I have been in since 1985 has had a key lock for the trunk, Either buy turning the trunk key the opposite direction or by locking the release inside the car.

Try lubing the lock assembly and see if it will lock in the opposite direction to unlock. This prevents inside release from activating the release. Check dealer to see if this is an option.

grey
    If you think gun control is the answer, look what happened in Australia when they banned all hand guns in 1996? NEW LINK! 8/3/2013
    Try here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4tS0DGDf0I
    or here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyS3CEIbpJo

English Warning "Our Gun Ban caused 40% jump in Gun Crime" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTyCD2n6HAQ

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

There's no keylock anywhere for the trunk. When the doors are unlocked, the trunk can be opened with a "latch" on
    the outside of it. Otherwise it can be opened with the key remote or a lever on the inside of the driver's door. -
    Thats it!!

Buy a lockbox and bolt it down to something solid inside the trunk. Problem solved!

I carry a Ruger SP101 revolver in a Wilderness safepacker clipped to my seatbelt while I drive a subcompact car. If I have to leave the revolver behind in the car, like if I go into a post-office or court house, for instance, then I have a lock box under the seat with a cable lock to the seat. A determined thief might get to it, but it would take a while, and I'd probably be back well in advance. On long drives a rifle or shotgun in a case goes behind my front seats. I don't leave firearms in the trunk. A lockbox might work for your circumstances. CCW should be on you I'd think.

Well, I have 2 keys, one for the trunk and one for the rest. But any idiot can climb into my back seat, pull on a half-hidden but no secret button and drop the seats to get into the trunk. Its nice when needing to haul something big --- it uses the back seat as extended trunk space --- but why have 2 keys? Its not going to prevent theft, for sure.

A lot of glove boxes can be gotten into from under/behind as well, even if they can be locked.

The solution really is to bolt a tough safe to the frame of the car. Even that is no good for long term (unbolt the box, take it away, open it later) but it will slow the crook down.

Take the car to a locksmith and have a different lock for the trunk installed

USMCsean is offline Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

One thig my 06 Passat has is a spot for a cd changer cartridge in the glove box. It's in a separate hidden compartment inside the glove box, which you can lock. There is an orange pull tab the opens this compartment and it swings down to open. Only then is it visible from the opening of the glove box. I had the car for over a month before I found this compartment. It was only cause of the small orange tab that flipped down. If you colored it black with a sharpie, it would just appear to be some piece of erroneous tape. Seriously it's a secret compartment. I keep my phone and wallet In there when I want to stash them in my car.
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
    There's no keylock anywhere for the trunk. When the doors are unlocked, the trunk can be opened with a "latch" on
    the outside of it. Otherwise it can be opened with the key remote or a lever on the inside of the driver's door. -
    Thats it!!
    The keyless entry probably sounded real good on paper. Seems is should still have some kind of valet setting for the trunk. I went to the VW website and looked at the spec's, Looks like you got what you paid for (operates as designed), valet security must have been an oversight on the designer's part.

Good luck, I think I'd go with the suggested locked box under the seat.

grey
    If you think gun control is the answer, look what happened in Australia when they banned all hand guns in 1996? NEW LINK! 8/3/2013
    Try here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4tS0DGDf0I
    or here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyS3CEIbpJo

English Warning "Our Gun Ban caused 40% jump in Gun Crime" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTyCD2n6HAQ

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

One-Two One-Two Boogie Woogie Avenue, Minnesota

My Honda Accord has a seperate key for a 'valet' to use that only unlocks driver door and ignition, but I never go anywhere that I would need 'valet parking'. The inside trunk release can be locked with the regular key, and the back seat will only flip down with the regular key. Pretty neat system...
    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
    Edmund Burke - 1770

Quote Originally Posted by Chukmak View Post
    My Honda Accord has a seperate key for a 'valet' to use that only unlocks driver door and ignition, but I never go anywhere that I would need 'valet parking'. The inside trunk release can be locked with the regular key, and the back seat will only flip down with the regular key. Pretty neat system...
    My Toyota is the same way.

If you carefully read the VW manual, you'll notice that they not only advise against carrying guns or valuables in their products, but it actually voids the warranty.

I drive a pick up with a King Cab & it has a lot of stuff back there I don't want others to tamper with.

My solution is simple: nobody drives it but ME.

If you have the big bucks for valet parking & spendy car washes, you should be able to afford a more upscale vehicle with locking trunk or storage.
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -

Oh, yeah - BTW, my truck doesn't even have a key slot on the passenger side door, so cheaping up by deleting the valet key may be an industry trend.

If it were mine, I'd consider getting the trunk lock rekeyed, so you would have your own valet key despite VW's intentions.
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -

Quote Originally Posted by Chukmak View Post
    hospitals often have valet. Thats the only place I would go that has such ... and its darn handy when someone involved cannot walk well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnin View Post
    hospitals often have valet. Thats the only place I would go that has such ... and its darn handy when someone involved cannot walk well.
    I can see that I took my daughter to the hospital while her husband was at work, I met him at the entry and parked his truck for him, had I not he might of missed the birth of hos second born son. He just made it as it was without having to find a parking place. I almost didn't get her there in time. I notice pains were coming quicker the when we left (5 min apart), so I timed them while on the highway, they were two minutes apart!!!! Natural child birth by timing not choice.

Quote Originally Posted by AZshooter View Post
    Oh, yeah - BTW, my truck doesn't even have a key slot on the passenger side door, so cheaping up by deleting the valet key may be an industry trend.

If it were mine, I'd consider getting the trunk lock rekeyed, so you would have your own valet key despite VW's intentions.
    There isn't any lock to rekey - it unlocks remotely when you unlock the drivers door.

Forget all of that. If the gun is locked in the trunk it is worthless anyway. Why not keep in on your hip?

Why is the gun in the car and not on you?
    That said, go buy a quality lockbox from Stack-on or better, a fireproof small flat locking documents safe for under $50, drill and through-bolt it in the trunk and put a bunch of old gym towels and swimsuits or something nasty over it. You can use it for more than guns.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Stalin's Ghost View Post
    Why is the gun in the car and not on you?That said, go buy a quality lockbox from Stack-on or better, a fireproof small flat locking documents safe for under $50, drill and through-bolt it in the trunk and put a bunch of old gym towels and swimsuits or something nasty over it. You can use it for more than guns.
    Well, sometimes you just can't risk having the gun on you. Like if you are going into a courthouse (especially a Federal Courthouse), or the secured area of an airport, or a hospital for treatment. Places it is unlawful to be packing, even if you have a CCW.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)