Gunboards Forums banner

1907 Bayonet - WWI Issue?

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Ed Novak 
#1 ·
A friend from another forum took pity on me when I posted my 1941 Lithgow No1 MkIII, and sent me a 1907 bayonet, sans scabbard. It does fit, of course, but not a match in age - looks very out of place when attached. An overnight oil soak and a brass brush took a heavy rusted crust away, but left the patina intact. 21-3/4" overall length, 17" blade, and the last 3" of the tip have been ground, though the edge is long ago dulled.

King George V. Crown
G.R.
Stamped 3-18 (I think?)
Wilkinson

A quick search of the forum shows this Wilkinson to be the most abundant, but it's OK. I found a couple of scabbards online, $50-75. Ouch. Not quite ready for that. But what I would like to do, is to find a Lee Enfield that does match in age and patina. Suggestions for maker and years always welcome.

Thanks for looking.

See less See more
#2 ·
You should concider a Enfield made Lee-Enfield No1 Mk III* or a BSA made Lee-Enfield dated 1918 or even earlier. They are not really scarse yet but may be harder to come by in North America

#3 ·
One does get lucky from time to time. I just purchased a 1907 Wilikinson on an on line auction. Blade looks to
have been sharpened at some point but it matches my BSA 1918 SMLE quite well. It came without the scabbard and it cost me less than $50 which included shipping. Deals are out there if you're patient

#4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll be visiting a shop in the next week or two that had a 1916 (or 1918, I think?) dated No.1 MkIII*, with no maker name that I could find on the gun. Matching serial on the receiver collar, bolt and nosecap were G-71, which shows up in searches of this forum as a valid serial from the time frame (1915-1918). Furniture was a little beat, bluing at 60%, and bore was good, with a $449 tag. Didn't notice FTR stamps, but after looking at the price, I set it back down without looking closely.

Should have written down some more specifics, and I know how difficult it is to judge from a description, but would anyone care to take a stab at a ballpark value? And would this gun be an Enfield made? BSA?

Might be some serious negotiating room in the price, too. I made them a $175 offer on a Spanish Civil War Mosin, and they accepted it from a $265 list price.

TIA.

#5 ·
I snagged an Enfield made SMLE made in 1918 for $200 this past December. The shop I bought her at had a half rack full of Enfields, mostly No. 4 Mk Is. They are still there, starting at $350. None of them were as nice as mine. Bargains are out there, it just takes being in the right place at the right time.

#6 ·
Where are you getting the serial info from if you do not know the maker? perhaps I am missing something here.

If no name on the right side of the wrist of the rifle have a look at the crown. Is is more "squared" or stylized than usual? Then check on the flat on the rear or the receiver to the left of the boltway. You should find the letters SSA or NRF there indicating it is a peddled scheme rifle. Ceterus paribus this would make it one of the less common "peddled scheme" rifles.
Even so even if it is all complete and matching and indecent condition I think $449 is a little high. It all depends on condition. I just got an all matching NRF rifle for about 100 less than that but......

#7 ·
I simply searched "g serial", and got quite a few hits on the forum. It is not a line-out and restamped with a g serial, like the Irish issue. But as you say, it is not certain what information that I am applying....

I will take a good look at the crown style and check the rear flat for identification. And for sure, will try to buy it for much less. Thank you very much for the tips.

#8 ·
Letter prefixes were used by most of the manufacturers and they were producing so many rifles 1916-18 the sequences are repeated so G was used by
BSA in 1917
SSA in 1917/18
NRF in 1918
Enfield in 1916/17/18
Ishapore in 1943 and 1966 (2A)
according to the Enfield Reasearch Associates observed data (Also in Stratton)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.