Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VN Bringback SKS?

Quote Originally Posted by falm16 View Post
    they used to be cheap, not anymore.
    no, they were worth a good buck when the only ones were bring backs. then the market was flooded after '85 and they were cheap as chit.(even the VN bringbacks w/o import mark) then after the clinton ban even the cheap ones went through the roof.....post ban i saw a few crates at $169 i think....then the obama panic attack happened and they're back up again.
    i have a genuine VN bringback from my father who served 68-69 in an Air Rifle Platoon of the 11th Armored. as he says, "the fellow i got it from was obviously done with it." he had gone through all the proper channels for paperwork so its all good....probably aint with a 1/10th of what it means to me.
    ill show u my gun, my uzi weighs a ton because im Public Enemy Number One!

Quote Originally Posted by howiebearse View Post
    very true 3 of my guns came from the same owner who was not going to part with his papers. He would not let the dealer pass on his name either My North Korean, North Vietnamese and East German came from his collection he was in charge of captured guns and had first pick after the guys that captured them and officers. These guns were passed over by the soldiers because they were used and plenty of like new ones were in the pile. The guy had no idea what he was picking but wanted battle field condition guns. I was lucky to get them they were not cheap but well worth the money and trades.
    The North Vietnamese (manufactured), North Korean & the East German are indeed the rarest of the Simonov's...You are a lucky man, Howie; to own all three!
    Locatian: BFE Montana.

A lot of younger collectors seem to feel the need for papers on bring backs. I'm not dismissing their importance, but there were A LOT of SKSs brought back from Vietnam. I lived on Long Island in the early 70s, and they were very common in gun stores. I remember seeing many of them priced from $50-$100, condition ranging from beat to new in cosmoline. The vets would trade them in for something they could use. In those days, the only 7.63X39 ammo available was Norma, and it was almost a buck per round in 1972! Add in the fact that Vietnam was a very unpopular war. I never saw any bringback papers. I owned several before the influx of Chinese imports. I would wager there are a lot more "unpapered" bringbacks around than unmarked imports. Just my .02.
    Steve

It was my understanding that Vietnam bringback had spike bayonets.

Is this not correct? When did the blade models come in?

Paddy

Quote Originally Posted by Paddyofurniture View Post
    It was my understanding that Vietnam bringback had spike bayonets.

Is this not correct? When did the blade models come in?

Paddy
    Could be spike or blade as early Chinese SKS rifles had blades and these were available to the VC and N Vietnamese. The Spike was developed by the Chinese after they built many SKSs and the two types of bayonetes were used for a long time by various Chinese producers.
    "Saigon Tea, 60 P, you no buy you di di DI!"

What is the stock cut out for a spike bayonet and also the stock cut out for a blade bayonet?

The reason I ask is I see lot of older SKS that are more than likely unpapered bring back with out papers.

Was there a reason why the bayonets would have been removed before these rifles came in to the county.?

I know about the imported late SKS with no bayonets/ bayonet lugs removed.

Paddy

Paddy

Quote Originally Posted by Paddyofurniture View Post
    What is the stock cut out for a spike bayonet and also the stock cut out for a blade bayonet?

The reason I ask is I see lot of older SKS that are more than likely unpapered bring back with out papers.

Was there a reason why the bayonets would have been removed before these rifles came in to the county.?

I know about the imported late SKS with no bayonets/ bayonet lugs removed.

Paddy

Paddy
    if it was a cut for the blade and then recut for a spike bayonet, then it is not going to be a bringback rifle. this was done in the late 80's or early 90's as they were trying to ship as many to the u.s. as they could. many of the rifles were put together with spare parts and broken or out of service rifles during this period of time. many of these were junk rifles and this is one of the reasons for the bad rep the sks rifle got.
    ron
    Last edited by capt ron; 04-03-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    RVN 67-68

"I will be sure-always".....
    final words of rigger pledge

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    Since the late '70s I have personally examined and handled hundreds of Vietnam bringbacks and many, many hundreds of the imported Chicom SKS rifles in the late '80s. They have a certain look and feel. It's a subjective determination based on objective, observable indicia and much experience. The doubters are free to doubt, but I feel confident in my judgment.

Please don't scrub the rifle with any abrasive material. Please don't "fix" the stock or coat it with any oil or goop. Leave it alone. Please.

I agree 100% with you Richard..from this distance it smells of vietnam..the patina is correct..really of a combination of rust , war, wear and monsoons,,coupled with the poor cleaning habits of the nva and the even worse maintainence performed by the vc, everything rotted and tarnished quickly especially without oil, solvents and the constant disassembly and re assembly of your rifle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hue 1968 005.jpg  

in regards to bayonets on Chinese guns in Vietnam. When I was there 65 66 with First Air Cav we captured lots of sks carbines all with blades. Factory 26 guns and East German and NVA were the ones I saw on display. I myself saw spike bayonets before I went home in may 66 they were new guns . Point of fact the blade bayonet was only factory installed on triangle 26 guns these are all Russian supplied they ran out around 9 million but no other factory had them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12