Results 1 to 45 of 45
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,038

    Default mosin rear sight scope mount

    Anyone mount a scope mount on the rear sight and actually have it be solid and secure? I did one and it moves all over the place.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Western FL, USA
    Posts
    773

    Default

    Got a picture?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    136

    Default

    If you remove the rear sight base you can attach 3/8 groove scope rings , like the one's that are used for 22's or air guns , to the metal base. I would suggest using the "high" scope rings so that your scope will clear the handguard.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,467

    Default

    I have a cheap one on a 91/30. It uses the pin through the sight base and then a screw down through the mount to 'firm' it up.

    I have an inexpensive pistol scope on it.

    The barrel has worn rifling and with surplus ammo I can hit gallon milk jugs on the 140 yard range, the longest distance at our club.

    I have not had to rezero it in the 3 years it has been on with probably 200 rounds through it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Great Lakes, IL
    Posts
    39

    Default

    I'm doing research for my mounting options and from what the interwebs tells me the best two options are Darrell's Scout Mount and S&K Mosin mounts. Most of the sub $50 mounts only have one REAL point of contact and lose zero like its cool. Darrell's uses 4 brass setcrews that hold tension to the outside of the rear sight fixture and cause little to no scaring. I want to say that S&K uses the leaf sights front pin and has a tension screw in the middle that holds to the insides of the rear sight frame. I'll put the links below. There are also TONS of others that require drilling ant tapping but if your like me your not willing to ruin the historical value of these little beauties.

    Darrell's (I emailed him to get on his waiting list)
    http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearm...t-Availibility

    S&K
    http://www.thecountryshed.com/s&k_scope_mounts.htm
    Active Duty Navy Corpsman
    OIF Veteran
    All-Around Patriot

    ____Owner Of____
    GI Ithaca 1911
    Finn M39 '41 SAKO

    ____Looking To Own____
    FNX-9
    Yugo SKS
    SVT-40 (Sniper or not)
    Argentinian Navy FN 49 chambered in .308

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Virginia USA
    Posts
    129

    Default

    I use a Leapers mount http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/LP-MT-RGPMOFS38-25H4/ got about 400 rounds through the gun and have no problem with it coming loose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails collectible_sporter.jpg  
    "Better the corner of a roof to live on than a house shared with a quarrelsome woman" Prov. 21:9

    A Finn is just a Mosin "bubba'd" by Magnus

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Use a spare rear sight you do not might modifying, and mount it up side down. Remove metal until it sits level. Mount any flat based Weaver scope mount with screws, JB Weld, epoxy, or Accraglas. To anchor it, the easiest way is to leave a screw long enough to almost bottom out on the barrel and use JB weld or some epoxy inside the base to engage the screw. That should keep it honest.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Good find gremlin ! I'll be ordering one of the Leapers mounts !

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Eastern North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,114

    Default

    This one looks good -semi-custom made for the 91/30 - no modifications to the rifle and two attachment points

    http://brassstacker.com/mosin-nagant/scope-mount/
    The oath I swore has no expiration date.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfcub View Post
    This one looks good -semi-custom made for the 91/30 - no modifications to the rifle and two attachment points

    http://brassstacker.com/mosin-nagant/scope-mount/
    Just installed this one tonight, and it's really solid. I'll try to shoot it this weekend and get back with you. In the meantime, a guy on YouTube called nutnfancy has used this mount extensively to good effect.
    "Proclaim this among the nations: Prepare for war! Rouse the warriors! Let all the fighting men draw near and attack. Beat your plowshares into swords and your pruning hooks into spears. Let the weakling say, 'I am strong!'" Joel 3:9-10

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    361

    Default

    I stumbled across that one on Ebay last night and it looked like it would be pretty secure. Was pretty sure it was different than most of the ones I saw out there and I'm glad to know I didn't imagine that. Definitely report back when you get a chance to put it to the test!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    352

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    ok kiddies..i have been there and done that..most of the products listed.....
    go here
    scopemounts.com
    home of s&k scope mounts...
    these are not cheap..but they are STEEL and they do not move...
    amd they do not mark like the brass screw clamp design.
    pay once and don't look back

    mike in co

    i have them on a swede, and a m39 and a 91/30..and

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Mercer Island WA USA
    Posts
    442

    Default

    The rear sight scope mount was on a rifle someone brought over to my house to work on.
    I took it off and tossed it on the bone pile.
    It is anodized Aluminum with a Weaver rail top, that could be milled into a real scope mount for something else, maybe.

    http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Mosin-N.../dp/B000R7872Y

    I would use the ATI or Rocksolid mount instead, but it requires drilling and tapping:
    http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Mosin-Naga...sporting-goods

    http://www.rocksolidind.com/mosin-nagant.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear sight scope mount Mosin Nagant 4-5-2012.jpg  

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    those cast alum stuff is just krap....
    like i said if you want a solid,steel non maring/non devaluing mount...
    go to
    scopemounts.com

    mike in co
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    The rear sight scope mount was on a rifle someone brought over to my house to work on.
    I took it off and tossed it on the bone pile.
    It is anodized Aluminum with a Weaver rail top, that could be milled into a real scope mount for something else, maybe.

    http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Mosin-N.../dp/B000R7872Y

    I would use the ATI or Rocksolid mount instead, but it requires drilling and tapping:
    http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Mosin-Naga...sporting-goods

    http://www.rocksolidind.com/mosin-nagant.html

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Mercer Island WA USA
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ar10ar15man View Post
    those cast alum stuff is just krap....
    like i said if you want a solid,steel non maring/non devaluing mount...
    go to
    scopemounts.com

    mike in co
    Value?
    The most I ever paid for Mosin Nagant was $90 for a Sako M39.
    I have an S&K on an Enfield and one on a Garand from 10 years ago when I was just learning gunsmithing.
    They have got their last $80+ shipping out of me.

    I just got an all matching 1942 Ishevek that looks unissued. If it was arsenal refinished they put a new stock and a new barrel on it.
    I paid full asking price $70.

    I cut right into pre 64 Win Model 70 rifles, and they drop $200 as soon as I do ANYTHING.
    I am sure not going to be bashful about drill and tap a Mosin Nagant, there are millions more of them.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    361

    Default

    Blasphemer!

    Definitely looking forward to the report on the brass tacker one. Not because I'm scared to drill a Mosin but because its easy to install and easily removed and moved to another gun, etc. Plus its made by a fairly local shop and I can visit them and pick it up.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,330

    Default Mosin Mounts

    Some of these sight mounts really suck as far as stability, in the end I found it was just as easy to get an ex-sniper and drill the plugs back out, winding up with something that looks like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resized_100_1479.JPG   resized_100_1480.JPG  

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    i have several of the oem side sniper scope mounts, both with thte fixed rings and one with a weaver rail. lots of work but in the end look great. cannot find the mounts at a reasonable cost anymore.

    i shoot all lapua brass in my mn's all hand loads..no milsurplus.....so i look at thing a little different than some of you.

    i shoot in 100 and 200 yd competiton.....

    we shoot iron sight most of the time but run two "sniper" matches where 4x scopes are allowed.

    i won the last match with a 200-6x...alass with a fn israile 7.62x51 built in 57...not a conversion from 8mm , but built new in 7.62...

    mike in co

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    your 90 dollar sako has no where near the value of a like new 39.....so yes there is a value issue.....
    i do not shoot much cheap crap, i buy nice like new..and they cost money( with the exception of the russian 91/30's)
    my new unfired finn 1895 9130 was over $300.........
    not all "milsurplus" guns are cheap and have no value....
    each to thier own....

    mike in co

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Value?
    The most I ever paid for Mosin Nagant was $90 for a Sako M39.
    I have an S&K on an Enfield and one on a Garand from 10 years ago when I was just learning gunsmithing.
    They have got their last $80+ shipping out of me.

    I just got an all matching 1942 Ishevek that looks unissued. If it was arsenal refinished they put a new stock and a new barrel on it.
    I paid full asking price $70.

    I cut right into pre 64 Win Model 70 rifles, and they drop $200 as soon as I do ANYTHING.
    I am sure not going to be bashful about drill and tap a Mosin Nagant, there are millions more of them.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    i'm sorry...
    but a fricken HOSE CLAMP????
    not on my rifle....

    mike in co
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie19 View Post

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    61

    Default

    I found this mount a few weeks ago, I haven't tried it but looks interesting...

    http://jmeckscopemounts.com

    My brother has the scope mount with the hose clamp and it is not very solid. We have been working with a friend who has access to a CNC to try and build something better but progress is slow. I will keep you all posted if we develop something...

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    sorry but just another variation on a hose clamp.
    bump the scope and the sheet metal will spring and you no longer have a zero....
    still looking but so far the s&k mounts are the best....of the rear sight mounts....
    still want to put a rear mount/conventional scope on my rifle...my no collector value sporter.....

    mike in co
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
    I found this mount a few weeks ago, I haven't tried it but looks interesting...

    http://jmeckscopemounts.com

    My brother has the scope mount with the hose clamp and it is not very solid. We have been working with a friend who has access to a CNC to try and build something better but progress is slow. I will keep you all posted if we develop something...

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Mercer Island WA USA
    Posts
    442

    Default

    This guy puts 22 rim fire rings on the rear sight dovetail, and gets a scout type mount.
    I would not do that.
    I don't like 22 rings.
    I don't like scout scope position.

    But he got 40,000 hits.
    I imagine I could get 1,000,000 hits if I recorded my daughter in a swim suit shooting an AK47.
    But in reality all I get is a few hundred hits showing how to weld and mill on a Mosin Nagant to make a great mount.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEyS9Q_u10I
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 91 30 with Picatinny mount welded steel in rear and Alluminum in front.jpg  

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    i just looked at the rock solid and it looked good until i read the instructions...it was the pics in the instructions.
    maybe its just me, but it looks like with the rear ring back as far as it is,,,the scope is back TOO FAR...with a std mosin stock that scope is in your eye??? yes no ??
    someone else take a look.
    is it just me ??
    i was thinking of this one but not sure now...danggggggggggg
    mike in co
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    I would use the Rocksolid mount instead, but it requires drilling and tapping:
    http://www.rocksolidind.com/mosin-nagant.html

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    i think i have a plan..thinking can be dangerous...
    use a sk mount at the rear sight.
    drill and tap the frt of the reciever for a simple weaver mount.
    shim the weaver mount to match the sk mount.
    and then add a rail to those mounts to push the actual rear scope mount back....
    like a jp long range mount or a ggg rail....

    only time will tell
    mike in co

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    see what happens when you get old.....
    in my stash i found an aftermarket mn sniper mount with a weaver rail and set for a round reciever.......
    think this is the pu style with the mount and adjustable base
    i'm in heaven......

    mike in co

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    Cool it, ar10ar15.

    McKenzie, I got a chance to test my brass stacker mount today, and it came through. I know for a fact that the rifle is poorly bedded, and I still squeezed some 1 1/2" groups out of it, and those groups were with surplus ammo. I also tested their front sight band (allows you to reinstall your front sight on a barrel that you've shortened.)

    I might add that the brass stacker mount was installed on an 18" barreled Mosin, which gives up some pretty hellacious recoil. Took about 10 rounds to get things where I wanted them, and after that, the only point of impact shift I experienced was due to ammo change (went from Brown Bear 203 gr. SP to 147 gr. Russian surplus, so POI shifted up about 6"). Fired a total of 60 rounds.

    for brass stacker!
    "Proclaim this among the nations: Prepare for war! Rouse the warriors! Let all the fighting men draw near and attack. Beat your plowshares into swords and your pruning hooks into spears. Let the weakling say, 'I am strong!'" Joel 3:9-10

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    361

    Default

    Awesome! Good to know there's actually a quality bolt on scope mount. My drill press usually is doing pen making duty so I'm always happy when I don't need to drill metal.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    "There's No Place Like Home"
    Posts
    2,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    This guy puts 22 rim fire rings on the rear sight dovetail, and gets a scout type mount.
    I would not do that.
    I don't like 22 rings.
    I don't like scout scope position.

    But he got 40,000 hits.
    I imagine I could get 1,000,000 hits if I recorded my daughter in a swim suit shooting an AK47.
    But in reality all I get is a few hundred hits showing how to weld and mill on a Mosin Nagant to make a great mount.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEyS9Q_u10I

    This is my video. Looks like I'm not too far from you either. The only reason you MUST use .22 style scope rings if you do this type of mount, is because the dovetail beneath the rear sight when removed, is only 3/8" wide. If it were wide enough to use standard sized bases and rings, then obviously it would be the most prudent course of action. I did not want to make a permanent modification, so this was the best way to do so without drilling and tapping and having to bend the bolt handle. Here is an updated video to this, I will be shooting the updated version tomorrow.

    A full length base that would run the entire length of the dovetail may also work, and an area be filed or notched out to ensure the mount doesn't do any sliding on the dovetail as well as demonstrated in this latest video. I have been trying to find a post where a fella used some 3/8" bases that go to weaver adapters on them. Something like this for example:

    http://www.amazon.com/BKL-Dovetail-W.../dp/B0036JV8Z8

    But this is only a suggestion for those that want to mount a scout scope set up.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZrsC...1&feature=plcp
    Last edited by Iron_Colonel; 06-02-2012 at 01:58 AM.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Mercer Island WA USA
    Posts
    442

    Default

    It seems like you are a nice guy and resourceful.
    I feel like a real a$$ now, for publicly envying your 40,000 hits.

    I have 7,000 hits on a video of me and my brother killing a spider.
    But not much attention to videos when I show how to make real improvements to Leupold Zero Point or a Sinclair concentricity gauge.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    i have not looked at the vid or the application but,
    b square makes a 3/8's to weaver adapter base...( pn 17025 for a pair).
    mike in co
    ..
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Colonel View Post
    This is my video. Looks like I'm not too far from you either. The only reason you MUST use .22 style scope rings if you do this type of mount, is because the dovetail beneath the rear sight when removed, is only 3/8" wide. If it were wide enough to use standard sized bases and rings, then obviously it would be the most prudent course of action. I did not want to make a permanent modification, so this was the best way to do so without drilling and tapping and having to bend the bolt handle. Here is an updated video to this, I will be shooting the updated version tomorrow.

    A full length base that would run the entire length of the dovetail may also work, and an area be filed or notched out to ensure the mount doesn't do any sliding on the dovetail as well as demonstrated in this latest video. I have been trying to find a post where a fella used some 3/8" bases that go to weaver adapters on them. Something like this for example:

    http://www.amazon.com/BKL-Dovetail-W.../dp/B0036JV8Z8

    But this is only a suggestion for those that want to mount a scout scope set up.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZrsC...1&feature=plcp

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    ok i have tried several searchess...
    how does one get in touch with ati...advance technology

    yes lots of people have them for sale, but i would like to talk to them

    mike in co

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Mercer Island WA USA
    Posts
    442

    Default

    http://www.atigunstocks.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ati.jpg  

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    THANKS CLARK!
    I WAS LOOKING UNDER MOUNTS...no luck

    mike in co
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    301

    Default

    i have had wonderful results with my brass stacker after shooting over thousand rds through mine and no probs or movement.
    1942 91/30 Izhevsk Ex PU sniper
    1954 Type 53 Carbine
    Another Mosin on the way!

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    if you insist on trying to prove a point, get some proof.
    buy the s&K mount and shoot it on the same gun...then you have side by side testing that it is as good, maybe better.
    its kinda hard to use one product and claim nothing is better or that it is as good as product x, if you did not use product x.
    i pointed out what i did not like about the other mount..my opinion.
    my opinon of the s&k pounts is based on testing of other inferior products.
    i'm glad you like your mount that is how life should be.....happy with what one has.
    mike in co
    Quote Originally Posted by 85XR7Project View Post
    i have had wonderful results with my brass stacker after shooting over thousand rds through mine and no probs or movement.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ar10ar15man View Post
    if you insist on trying to prove a point, get some proof.
    buy the s&K mount and shoot it on the same gun...then you have side by side testing that it is as good, maybe better.
    its kinda hard to use one product and claim nothing is better or that it is as good as product x, if you did not use product x.
    i pointed out what i did not like about the other mount..my opinion.
    my opinon of the s&k pounts is based on testing of other inferior products.
    i'm glad you like your mount that is how life should be.....happy with what one has.
    mike in co
    1942 91/30 Izhevsk Ex PU sniper
    1954 Type 53 Carbine
    Another Mosin on the way!

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    23

    Default

    I cast another vote for the Brass Stacker mount. They've had the ones for the 91/30 for a while. I've been bugging them about the M44 mount and ordered one the day they became available. I've tried all sorts of mounts and this is the best BY FAR that I've used. I find it especially important that I can still use my iron sights with the scope mounted. Just my opinion of course.

    NRA Recruiter
    FDLE Firearms Instructor
    Gen 4 Glock .40 G27
    M91 : M91/30 : M44 : T53
    Nagant Revolver

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central Californnia
    Posts
    395

    Default

    I bought one of the A.I.M. Scope and mount kits from Big 5 for one of my Mosins and I have had ZERO problems after about 500 rds fired through it. It took about 15 rds to get it zeroed and since then I've had no problems with it at all. I used loktite on all the bolts and screws, and where it actually mounts to the rear sight base I decided to use the pin that held the rear sight in insead of the two bolts that came with it. Anyone else use this set-up?

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    simple question,
    in your search for a scout scope mount for your 44...did you try a steel s&k weaver rail mount ???
    mike in co
    Quote Originally Posted by lwbfl View Post
    I cast another vote for the Brass Stacker mount. They've had the ones for the 91/30 for a while. I've been bugging them about the M44 mount and ordered one the day they became available. I've tried all sorts of mounts and this is the best BY FAR that I've used. I find it especially important that I can still use my iron sights with the scope mounted. Just my opinion of course.


  42. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lwbfl View Post
    I find it especially important that I can still use my iron sights with the scope mounted.
    That's what sold me as well. I had the other style and didn't like the loss of backup sights.

    At the end of the day its the decision of the OP, there are quite a few options and obviously quite a few opinions. Let's not junk up his thread. Ar10, this means you, cool it.
    1942 91/30 Izhevsk Ex PU sniper
    1954 Type 53 Carbine
    Another Mosin on the way!

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ar10ar15man View Post
    simple question,
    in your search for a scout scope mount for your 44...did you try a steel s&k weaver rail mount ???
    mike in co
    I did not. Didn't know they existed until your post and they are twice the price of the one I chose. I believe I would have still ended up with the Brass Stacker unit had I known. I appreciate the new parts source though as I still have a 1/2 dozen rifles with no optic mounts!
    NRA Recruiter
    FDLE Firearms Instructor
    Gen 4 Glock .40 G27
    M91 : M91/30 : M44 : T53
    Nagant Revolver

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    well lets see ...
    the thread has been up for THREE MONTHS....
    your FIRST post is yesterday...AND NOW YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF THE THREAD......
    lol
    mike in co

    Quote Originally Posted by 85XR7Project View Post
    Let's not junk up his thread. Ar10, this means you, cool it.

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Mississippi Delta
    Posts
    10,070

    Default

    i vote to leave him in charge. kool it.
    " Dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machinegun"... Bo Diddley

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •