Default Did the French military convert any 49/56's to 7.62 NATO?

Guy here has mas 49/56 that he says was converted in France and is not a century job. Ive never heard of that and am wondering if this guy is just mistaken or confused. I used to have one of the century conversions. Ah the memories...mostly bad lol

A very small quantity (less than 250) of Mas 49-56 were built (new, not converted) in the early 1970s with the barrel chambered for the 7,62 NATO cartridge, these are easy to recognise:
    - the firing pin is spring loaded like the Mas 44.
    - the caliber marked on the receiver left side is: "CAL. 7,62 N"
    - the three digit serial number is marked horizontally below the caliber and has no prefix letter.

Only a handfull of these has been sold by the Army.

kelt

Around 2005 , a private armourer living in Britanny had a contract from the Air Force to convert MSE rifles to 7.62 NATO.
    The modified rifles were meant to be used by the sniper teams of the Air Force.

Yet the contract was never completed, the Air Force taking back all the rifles.
    From what I heard the modification was working perfectly.

Moblotaire
    I am an international Gunboards patron

Century re chambered a bunch of them to 308 the guys on the MAS board hate it
    To error is Human.
    To forgive and forget is not S.O.G. policy

Yes, the French did make some small number of 7.62 NATO versions of the MAS 49/56. The markings on the left side of the receiver will clearly indicate a new made French version or a Century conversion. To date, I have seen a lot of the Century conversions here in the US, but none of the French made ones. I doubt that any have been brought to the US.

I read somewhere that the National Police or maybe they were the Surete back then used NATO caliber 49/56s.

Quote Originally Posted by kelt View Post
    A very small quantity (less than 250) of Mas 49-56 were built (new, not converted) in the early 1970s with the barrel chambered for the 7,62 NATO cartridge, these are easy to recognise:
    - the firing pin is spring loaded like the Mas 44.
    - the caliber marked on the receiver left side is: "CAL. 7,62 N"
    - the three digit serial number is marked horizontally below the caliber and has no prefix letter.

Only a handfull of these has been sold by the Army.

kelt
    This is a photo of one of the French produced 7.62 NATO that I obtained from Charlie Steen of SARCO in the Early 80's. Hesaid he imported 4 direct from the Arsenal. Notice the serial # is not along the left side of the receiver like the 7.5 49/56's but parallel to the CAL 7.62 N marking with the serial number below it. IIRC serilal numbers started at 100 and about 150 were made. They also have titanium tip firing pins to deal with the softer NATO primers. Hope that helps

INtruiging! Especially the pic of the "true new made" in 7.62 NATO....

Would love to have one of those~!
    AK_MILSURP
    Benefactor Life Member, NRA
    Life Member, Alaska Gun Collectors Association
    Life member, VFW
    Anchorage, AK
    www.amga.net

"Remember the Range day, And keep it holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim"

The French made Mas 49-56 in 7.62 Nato had a specific bolt with the head and extractor adapted to the case size, the caliber "7,62 N" was engraved to its top side. The firing pin channel was specific and couldn't accept a standard steel firing pin, the firing pin had a thin two steps body made of hardened aluminium with a steel tip.

Some stocks were made of laminated wood, and different length of pull & shape were tested.

kelt

So far all the converted CIA 49/56's in 7,62 worked for me. Its a neat little commando rifle in 7,5mm or in 7,62 either way. Becareful its as mean as a junk yard dog when it barks.
    Are you ready for 12-21-2012?? Lets pray its the second comming of Christ and not the end like so many predict.

Here is the Laminated Longer NATO Buttstock......purchased from French Gunshop 1992.....20 years ago......

They said they had a "Pistol Grip" MAS buttstock.....I thought I was buying a MSE buttstock.....

They sent the pictured Buttstock below....... $110 shipped....

Last edited by Buddy; 04-05-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
    So far all the converted CIA 49/56's in 7,62 worked for me. Its a neat little commando rifle in 7,5mm or in 7,62 either way. Becareful its as mean as a junk yard dog when it barks.
    Don't buy the story that comes with the rifle:

kelt