Gunboards Forums banner

This is a call for: all Roundels, Cartouches, and other stock markings!!!...

7K views 75 replies 38 participants last post by  coneten 
#1 ·
I am starting this post as an addition to, and to supplement, the two main Mosin Nagant sites photo galleries on:

ANY and ALL stock markings!!...SPECIFICALLY, stock roundels and cartouches, as well as other stock markings y'all might have on your Mosins (OR, that you remember that OTHER folks have on their Mosins from other posts here on the boards!!!)

I am trying to decipher several stock markings on my own Mosins as well as some other Mosins I have seen here and elsewhere...but, the existing database is actually a little bit lacking...

...so...I am making a formal request:

...Please post ANY and ALL stock markings you can find...(ya know...the ROUND ones!!!!)...

Thanks in advance!! :thumbsup:

#3 ·
'DEUTSCHES REICH' stamp on a N.E.W. I sold locally late last year

#4 ·
Here you go...

Oh, wait a second...I thought you said 'post a picture of Rondell...'

#5 ·
O.k., back on track... ;)

Here's a SAKO cartouche from a PL-marked M39 I sold a few years back

#10 ·
#39 ·
Here's another oddball cartouche on a 1917 REM. This wound up as property of a Chinese provincial military school, as evidenced by this partially translated cartouche. Also adapted for knife bayonet. Other side of stock has the Russian cartouche dated 1917.

View attachment 530638
The first two characters are difficult to read, but the last three characters read 'middle school' (中學校). I think it might be a Japanese cartouche, since many MN 91s ended up in Japanese schools and universities for military training.

#21 ·
OK, I'll play-first, a fairly nice cartouche on a 1937 Izhevsk:

Now a couple from 1943 Izhevsks, unfortunately on both of these, the arsenal workers did a fine job of stamping the acceptance mark, but a really sloppy job on the cartouche:

Guess they were more interested in rushing them out the door to fight the Wermacht than in making a nice collectible for me in the future. :laugh:

#23 ·
I don't think anything I have hasn't already been posted, but here goes.

NEW English Contract

US proof on the same NEW.

Soviet cartouche on an original, all correct and matching 1930 SA marked Tula Dragoon.

I cheated on this one. It's an MP8 cartouche on my Winchester 95. Still, it was a rifle that served Tsarist, and later, Soviet Russia.

Stamps on a Hungarian M52 sniper.

MP8 from a 1937 Ishevsk in a Spanish made walnut stock.

#26 ·
Photos...

Cartouche on a Sako '41 straight stocked M39. Original rifle, not reworked. Six thousand serial range. Posted photos of this rifle many moons ago. Member asked if he could use a photo of the marking for a tee shirt. Still waitin' on that.....

Took some new photos tonight, think they are better. Ya' can see the wood color inside the cartouche. Think this is the most artistic and coolest marking on any rifle stock.

Lancebear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.