Gunboards Forums banner

Accuracy of VEPR 7.62X54R?

33K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Worland 
#1 ·
Anyone have any accuracy input on VEPRs in 7.62X54R or .308?
They can be bought with a bullet button in CA and the long barrel version looked pretty well made.

#5 ·
Guys, I have to disagree ... my Saiga .223 with a 20" barrel does 1 to 1.5 Moa (1 to 1.5 inches) at 100 meters with Wolf 75gr ammo and Silver Bear 62 gr . It is not a 7.62x39 so perhaps that is the cause of better accuracy ? this thing shoots as accurate as My AR-15 that has the 16 inches barrel with 1 to 7 faster rifling and it is better suited for the 75gr ammo ... the Saiga is 1 to 9 , but still is as accurate . Maybe the longer 20" barrel helps on that . I mostly shoot 75gr ammo on the AR and I went for it with the Saiga and I was greatly surprised , so I guess I am lucky . I have not tried the brass 55 gr ammo yet on either of the two guns .

#6 ·
The reason I say that about my Saiga accuracy is that my Saiga 7.62X39 (short barrel carbine) came with the actual factory test certification paper showing a bit over a 5 inch factory test group at 100 meters going out the door at Izhevsk. Super reliable, but not worth much beyond 300 yards max -it can ring the 300 yard gong pretty readily, though. I hear the .308 Saiga is a lot better.
That 5 MOA is comparable to what my brand new 3X9 scoped stainless Ruger Mini-30 7.62X39 does at more than double the price, a rifle with many complaints elsewhere about accuracy. I can beat that slightly with an 8X POSP scope on the Saiga and very good ammo, but sure no tackdriver in either rifle. My 4X POS scoped Yugo SKS shoots to about 3 MOA.

#7 ·
You got me thinking , so I went and looked at the factory certification of my Saiga .223 : it says that " the extreme spread of impacts when firing 4 bullets at 100 meters is 72 mms .
So it kind of conforms to the results I am getting with the gun ... 1 to 1.5 inches and the extreme spread at 2.7 inches ... I guess I am very lucky indeed . I am using a Leatherwood CMR scope 1-4x24

#10 ·
I was giving the VEPR in 7.62x54R serious consideration when one of the regulars showed up at the range last Saturday with one wearing a 23" barrel.

He tried three different flavors of surplus with it and was generally unhappy with the results. It was scoped and he was shooting at 100 yards, seated, front bag rest and free recoil. Nothing better than a 3" group with any 5-shot string.

Not particularly impressive for an $800+ rifle. Maybe he got a lemon, or he needs to move to heavy ball. I hated to see that , because I have been "jonesing" pretty bad for one of those Russian beauties.

#14 ·
Gents, not attacking the rifle. I postulated that he may have gotten a lemon, but on second thought he could have easily had a loose scope mount or some other issue that was wreaking havoc with his consistency.

In his defense, he has performed well with another rifle, notably his AR10 at that distance.

Maybe with the VEPR's ergonomics he does indeed suck.

#16 ·
Gents, not attacking the rifle. I postulated that he may have gotten a lemon, but on second thought he could have easily had a loose scope mount or some other issue that was wreaking havoc with his consistency.
He can't have had a loose scope because the loose scope fairy lives at my house. :( She got me again a few weeks ago on a brand new FS2000.

As for the long barreled Saigas in 7.62x39, I got rid of mine because it was not that accurate and it seemed drastically over gassed. The operation of the action was plain violent compared to my WASR with the same ammo.

#15 ·
how is the release lever on the scope mount? does it latch super easy or is it somewhat difficult?
if it is too easy, take it out and relieve some spring tension and move that lever screw 180degrees clock wise to tighten a bit.
is your scope all the way forward or are you trying to latch her on mid-way on the rail?
my TIGR does not do good unless my PSO is all the way forward.
did you try a magazine hold vs. resting handguard on anything?
my TIGR does MUCH better with a magazine hold (even if it rests on the magazine on top of the sand bags) vs anything else (I am talking groups).

curious for you to report back.

#17 ·
Semi auto rifles are notoriously difficult to get to hold accuracy... and almost always need some tuning to do so... I personally don't ever rely on surplus ammo to hold any sort of accuracy standard other than that standard it was built to... The published spec is usually around 6" or so... Look at the price of an M1A that is guaranteed to shoot 1 moa...

#18 ·
If it helps any, I took out my converted 308-1 Saiga with 16inch barrel this morning. TAPCO G2 trigger group modified for the 308 Saiga. Scope is a 6X POSP (Belarus) from Inter-Ordnance. It groups better from my Outers Varminter rest than sand bags.

Groups with 80's FNM surplus were around 3 MOA. That's about the same groups I get with this lot of ammo in my 308 PSL. With my hand loaded 165gr Sierra Game King BTHPs, the best I could achieve today was just over 2MOA. Never managed a 1 MOA group from this rifle even with a 8X POSP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.