rocker98 is offline Diamond with Gold Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member

Default Russian .22 ammo

Anyone read Russian? Who made it, and when? Any idea on age? Corrosive?

It was given to me. Described as "crap". I guess alot of it doesn't go bang. The one box he had open didn't work consistantly in my Romanian M69. Although when it did go bang, it was nice. Accurate too.

Thanks for any info.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	531347Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	531348
    Gary

***WARNING*** Mosins breed like rabbits!

"In shallow men the fish of little thoughts cause much commotion. In oceanic minds the whales of inspiration make hardly a ruffle." SRI PARAMHANSA YOGANANDA

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. Gerald R. Ford

"You are never dead, as long as you are remembered"

Don't see much info on the box..."steel case", "caliber 5.6mm"

They also made 22 rf ammo by name. Junior was made in both brass and steel cases entry level sport shooting. Sniper and olymp-r the last one was top notch with the dimple in the bottom of the case. I believe the olymp-r was the basis for federals olympic 22rf ammo. The junior really shoots well in my BSA 12/15 22rf martini. Have a few bricks left. Haven't seen any for sale in a long long time. Frank

Where in order to get to the South, you have to go north

I had ok results with the green boxed version of that stuff, non corrosive and far from being a sizzler.

The brass cased V headstamped ammo was terrible.

rocker98 is offline Diamond with Gold Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member

So, this is the older version of the Junior?

If the brass cased stuff was terible, I guess this stuff is just OK. From the one box we used, I'd say about 25% FTF rate.
    Gary

***WARNING*** Mosins breed like rabbits!

"In shallow men the fish of little thoughts cause much commotion. In oceanic minds the whales of inspiration make hardly a ruffle." SRI PARAMHANSA YOGANANDA

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. Gerald R. Ford

"You are never dead, as long as you are remembered"

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

I'd call a 25% FTF rate pretty bad, indicative of poor storage conditions.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Years ago I got a generous quantity of some Russkie .22 ammo packed in plain brown wrappers. It's standard velocity .22 LR from JSC Vostok, Klimovsk, laquered steel cases & wax coated lead.
    Apparently they loaded it by dipping the individual cases into the powder bucket, since some seem typical standard velocity, while a random portion are noticeably quieter with less recoil. Accuracy is lacking, but they DO fire 100%.

If it's what they issue their Biathlon Team, it's a wonder they don't score very well ...
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -

just for grins and giggles I ran a test with my martini. 4 targets at 50yds. 4 different ammo's. Russian brass cased junior, cci green tag, winchester wildcat and remington 22rf target ammo. 30 shots each target. After all 120 shots had been fired I pulled the targets. Was very easy to see which one shot the best. The junior brass cased stuff. Not a real test per se but one that did show what that 22 liked and didn't. Frank