Gunboards Forums banner

Top cover of PSL flying off when firing.

5K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  AKBLUE 
#1 ·
Went shooting today with my PSL that I bought month ago. I was expecting a bang, recoil, and ejected spent round not the top cover flying off and landing in the snow, put the cover back on and the same thing happens. closer inspection showed that the rear of the top cover is rotated about five to ten degrees clockwise when I put back on and close to being secured. the rifle is a Century PSL-54c made at Cugir. Now has anyone have this problem and any tips for fixing it would be nice as I'm kinda new to owning firearms.

#2 ·
I had my nose broken by a Romanian AK74, doing exactly that. Make sure that the recoil spring rod assy slips all the way into the cover and that the cover is situated, firmly, into the slot in the receiver when you allow the rod to lock in. Other than that? Check that the recoil spring is strong enough to apply proper tension, As an addittional point: See if the recoil rod catch(?)from a WZ88(Polish Tantal) will work. They have a locking tab which pretty much eliminates the whole problem. I have sold both, so I can't see if a mod can be accomplished. I have always appreciated the WZ88 and considered it to be an upgrade as far as 5.45 AK's are concerned. It has "fixes" to cure most AK problems incorporated into it's design. If mags weren't such an issue, I'd still own mine.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forums.

I've never heard of that problem, but it is just a piece of stamped sheet metal and when its donor rifle got buzz-sawed it might have been torqued/rotated/turned/IDK (a shame, since it was never a machine gun, but the great emperor ATF the magnanimous dost make his rulings). Literally, have you tried just flexing it the opposite direction with a pair of gloves on? That might be all you need. My guess is that the neck area got turned somehow, and this is reflected in the rear. Just grab the neck and the rear and turn the rear in the direction opposite its mounted state while turning the neck the other direction (as if you were wringing out a wet rag). Don't go nuts with it, just flex it a bit and see what happens. A little at a time and you may have what you need.

#5 ·
Top cover tightness is adjustable on the PSL. To do this you need the top cover adjustment tool...sometimes referred to as a rubber mallet. You can tap the rear of the cover with the locking hole in order to give it a "u" shaped indentation. But first make sure the cover is not warped/twisted.

HTH

#6 ·
Is the rifle all matching serial numbers? If not being matching serial numbers doesnt matter to you I would just get a new one, better safe than sorry! Something about the peice that my face is closest to not seating right seems a bit ify to me!

I like that "cover adjustment tool"!!!:laugh:

#9 ·
Do you have a dimple on your top cover just above where the button is? Sounds like the carrier is slamming back causing the recoil rod to travel back too far popping the top off. Are you using the correct grain ammunition? My PSL had a dimple in the top cover, I replaced the recoil spring and don't shoot so much Czech silver tip "which I think is loaded a little hot." I shoot mostly Bulgy and Russian now.

#10 ·
Are you using the correct grain ammunition?
Yeah, jdub brings up a very important point on the ammo. The PSL was designed for "light ball" ammo only, ie. bullets of around 148 grs. or so, but not over 150. Using 174 or 180 or 200 grain ammo is a recipe for a cracked trunnion or worse in a PSL. Word to the wise if you didn't already know.

#12 · (Edited)
This is very strange . I never even heard of that problem before . The PSL cover , as any other ak cover, gets in first at front , on an indentation made for that specifically , then it is push down on the rear until it grabs the retainer ... you can see the rod catch protruding form the orifice on the cover and you also hear the loud click when it gets secure . There are no two ways to put the cover , so I am inclined to believe that this guy was somehow installing the cover the wrong way . There are people for everything and even thou this may be hard to go wrong, there is always someone who would not know what to do and screw it up .

#13 ·
There are no two ways to put the cover , so I am inclined to believe that this guy was somehow installing the cover the wrong way
It's entirely possible. You have to make sure the front of the cover goes solidly in to the half moon shaped slot that's cut for it or it won't stay put under recoil. On my PSL you have to put considerable forward pressure on the cover to keep it engaged in the slot while pushing down in back to lock in place on the square recoil spring button. Could be a simple newbie kind of mistake that would be easy to make.

#17 ·
I wouldn't worry overly much. The dust cover really only protects you from slinging lubricant (while protecting the action from debris).

#18 ·
When you try to install the receiver cover inspect the two cutout areas on eaither side at rear of the cover. These cutouts 'clear' the reinforcement plates on the receiver. If the cuts are a little off or tight it will cockeye the cover.

After you installed the cover properly., push the cover all the way to the rear with you hand and see if a gap appears at the front of the cover where it slides into the half- moon cutout on the rear sight base. If the front to rear trunnion spacing is a bit off it can create a gap that allows the cover to pop out of that channel under recoil.
If this is the case you can slightly elongate the cover by gently using a crescent wrench close down to the thickness of the cover. In sert the jaws on the lower rear vertical lip that sits in the slot at the rear trunnion. Gently work side to side and bend this lip outward to the rear a mm or so. This generally fixes any short cover issues.
An improper install may have been your problem., if so., that fix is really easy.:)

#20 ·
It was actually a problem with the AK74, from what my friend from the former Soviet military told me. That was the reason that the Poles put the locking style tab on the WZ88 (Tantal) variant. It usually reared it's ugly head when using some form of grenade launcher. It would be nice if we could have someone make (or we could mod) an op rod that had the catch, as does the WZ88. As stated, and inferred by the grenade launcher problem, it is probably/possibly caused by excessive recoil, i.e., improper ammo being used, if the cover itself turns out not to be the problem.

#22 ·
The PSL uses a solid recoil spring guide rear assembly lock.., similar to those on early milled AK47's and RPK's. The AKM and AK74 use the wire loop type rear guide assembly. Not nearly as rigid and not as effective in preventing rail jumping and recoil related issues. The tab on the recoil guide assembly would be a nice addition but generally the issues to losing a cover are fitment, attachment or build related., or sping fatigue vs the actual recoil., though recoil in heavy ball or an ill fitted cover will of course be the cause of the cover coming loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.