Thread: Mylonas Carbine

Default Mylonas Carbine

I seen a post earlier on a greek mylonas rifle. Here is a few pics of a Mylonas Carbine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1761b.JPG   1761d.JPG   1761c.JPG   1761.JPG   1761e.JPG   1761j.JPG  

1761k.JPG   1761m.JPG  

Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member

Congratulations, this is one extremely rare gun! According to Hristos Sazanidis only 500 of these "arabides" (carbines) were delivered to Greece. Super find!
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не пье - то вiн або хворий, або подлюка." - Невідомий українець

Awesome find-Thanks for posting the pictures I really enjoyed getting a close up look at this rare piece.
    " Until now, we knew that Greeks were fighting like heroes; from now on we shall say that the heroes fight like Greeks."
    Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Britain - 1940.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco-from the Good the Bad and the Ugly

How do they operate?????
    Last edited by Krag; 04-17-2012 at 09:57 AM.
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.
    [Points to sword] But this....this you can trust!"

Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Quote Originally Posted by Krag View Post
    How do they operate?????
    See the thread "Mylonas rifle", there is description of the operation and photos of a disassembled rifle: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-Mylonas-rifle

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не пье - то вiн або хворий, або подлюка." - Невідомий українець

The hammer has to be brought back to work the lever. There is a half position, which operates the lever which drops the block, the trigger cannot be pulled in this position. I guess this was a safety. When fully pulled the trigger can be pulled

Is it a bronze receiver or is the yellow just the patina?
    My own virtual museum, growing one entry at a time. Keep checking back!
    http://militarygunsofeurope.eu/

its just the patina, now that would be something, a bronze mylonas

Well, since it clearly shows Comblain ancestry it could have been. The first Comblains had bronze receivers after all.

Quote Originally Posted by FABIAN23 View Post
    The first Comblains had bronze receivers after all.
    Actually, the very first Comblains had steel receivers (like the first production guns and the Peruvian contract of 1869). Only the Garde Civique guns (M1870) and some commercial guns had bronze receivers. The popular theory is that GC were issued these bronze guns, because they wouldn't maintain properly the all-steel guns due to lack of training. However, Jonathan Kirton debunks this theory in his superb articles about the Comblain.

Thanks for that nugget, I had always assummed they switched to steel later. If the maintenance theory is debunked, what is the reason for switching to bronze for the GC?

nice rifle you found fabian vingt trois ,are you going to shoot it ? not with nitro that's for nonbelievers headens !!!!!
    comblains in fosforbronze where easier to produce "(casting and less machining ) fosorbronze is as strong as iron and very tough
    greetings from a overponder
    jarmann

Quote Originally Posted by FABIAN23 View Post
    . what is the reason for switching to bronze for the GC?
    As Jarmann said, ease of manufacture.

I do shoot it, the only problem is the very inconvenient intentionally oversized chamber, if a normal 11x50R cartridge is used, the case comes out with almost no shoulder, it is the same for my Albini. I'm now using these fire formed cases as is but it isn't optimal. Some kind of case neck sleeve might be in order to stop the blow out but I do not have the workshop capabilities, I read somewhere that this is just what civilian shooters used at the time so that they too could re-use brass.

in my comblains I use 26 gn of vitha n110 on a 300 gn gc bullet .430 ex saeco mould ,or n340 15/18 gn , my cases keep their necks ,when I do the same in the albini braendlin and the neck disappears and some hot gas escapes through the hammerpin channel ,(very confortable in winter , so is the annealing )
    I should try a lighter bullit ???

greetings jarmann

My ideal solution would be to make a chamber cast and get 20 or so of something like these made: Reduzierhulsen