Default Ammo for .22 Beretta Bobcat?

I picked up a new Beretta Bobcat recently. I really like the way it (should) work/s, but some ammo tests were a bit of a disappointment.

I tried a few clips of the cheap Federal bulk stuff, and literally ever round had an issue. It either failed to eject after firing (firing the first shot single action or after easing a round in after it jammed), got the shell caught when ejecting, or got stuck cycling the next round in. I assume they're just too weak to make the slider cycle properly.

Then I tried some CCI Mini Mags. I only had one clip worth (they were in my pocket, I assumed I'd spend some time screwing around with the cheap bulk stuff and expected a few ftfs, but not every one), but it worked far better. However, one did fail to eject AFTER failing to fire (I could see the pin strike, must have been too light, which is mostlikely the ammo and not the gun).

Someone recommended Stingers. I was wondering what would have the most pressure to make it cycle properly without swelling (which would cause it to not eject properly), and a tip that isn't so soft that it doesn't bend or otherwise deform when cycling.

Thanks for the input!

Buy as many brands and try tham as you can. .22 pistols, especially small ones, are notorious for being very ammunition sensitive and picky. What works for one person might not for you. Keep trying until you find the one brand which works every time.

Good part of this is, the practice is enjoyable, so enjoy and learn that new pistol...

right in the middle of Gods little waiting room

My Friend tells me that his functions better with the lighter bullets which are slightly shorter
    Oldgoat46
    " In Biblical times Samson slew 40,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. Everyday an equal number of sales are killed by the use of the same weapon."

Beretta .22s work only with CCI mini mags. or Stingers.I have had several and that is what I discovered.FWIW regular .22s specially the bulk packs have big time issues with quality the last few years.

I have had four of these little pistols, still have one. Three of them were ammo picky, one would shoot anything I tried in it.
    In the ammo picky guns, best choices were CCI minimags, or Remington Vipers. The one pistol I kept gets a steady diet of Vipers, it runs 100%.
    Since the Bobcat doesn't have an extractor, the chamber needs to be kept clean. These really aren't range guns to put a brick through it at a time. If you start to get brass stuck in the chamber, it's time to clean.
    One other thing...if you just can't get the pistol to reliably feed, check the feed lips on the magazine-I needed to tweak a few of mine to adjust the feed angle.
    Good luck, they are cute little things!

Most of these pistols are ammo sensitive. Stay away from the cheap stuff. I use mini-mags, stingers and Winchester super-x solids in mine. Beretta supposedly tests the pistols for function at the factory with the Super-x.

mine loves federal, cci, and about anything i put in it. i shoot it with federals, leave it loaded with stingers. i would;nt shoot all stingers if you shoot a lot, i wore out a browning lever with them.
    " Dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machinegun"... Bo Diddley

I just bought one a little over a month ago and it seems to devour anything from standard vel to high vel,does it's best accuracy wise with the Win bulk pack stuff.

I'll echo what's been said about keeping it clean-about sixty rounds and it needs to get swabbed out,if it starts to choke just shove a shell in the barrel and if it sticks in any way you're on your way to a jam.

New or not clean it very well and pay special attention to the chamber and firing pin channel in the slide. Use a light lube like LPS #1, CRC 556, or Rem Oil. Then experiment with ammo.
    Our Government "If we didn't have mis-management, We wouldn't have any management at all"

My 21A is almost 40 yrs old and has eaten a wall of bricks over that time. The design has not changed.
    When this gun originally came out, it was designed for CCI Stingers, which at the time, were the first extra high velocity .22LR. The recoil springs were calibrated accordingly and the manual specifically stated to use them in it. .22 ammo evolved and there are now quite a few with similar velocity.
    The gun is still picky about its diet! I've had no real issues with CCI, which I carry in it, but for regular and routine range practice I feed it the cheapest crap I can buy in large quantity.
    A lot of .22LR ammo these days is real garbage and has a high failure rate no matter what gun you shoot it out of. I stay away from Remington which seems to gum up every gun I shoot it in.
    A lot of .22 have defective priming and require multiple hits to ignite. It's not unusual to find a bunch of discards at the range that have been struck once and failed to fire. They often will if tried a second or third time. It ain't the gun ... it's the ammo! The same problem appears in my S&W 617 revolver that drops the hammer quite forcefully and in the rifles as well.

Advise on keeping it clean is paramount! Dirty burning powder, plain lead bullets, cases that seem to have excess lube all contribute to chamber fouling in short order. As there is no extractor, chamber tolerance and lack of fouling are required for ejection. If it gets dirty/fouled, they stick rather solidly. Same goes for the feed ramp, where a little polishing helps with feeding. Lips on the magazines do tend to get pushed out a bit over time and may require adjustment. If you start getting feeding problems where the nose of the fresh round is popping up too high to chamber, tighten up the lips with a gentle squeeze with pliers until it goes away.

Be careful about "dry firing" and frequently dropping the hammer on an empty chamber. COUNT your rounds as there is no slide lock to hold it open when empty and it is very easy to frequently pull the trigger on an empty chamber. This will dull the firing pin and beat a little notch in the chamber rim. That distortion can cause both feeding and ejection problems. If it produces a little burr, about all you can do is carefully polish it out with a Dremel.

There is no "fix" for the gun, despite available spare parts. Beretta customer service informed me that the cost for a "factory" overhaul was just about as much as the gun costs so the best option was to just get a new one!

Despite any and all flaws and misgivings, the 21A is still a great little pocket gun and my constant companion in a SuperFly hip pocket holster. With practice and good ammo, even with the rudimentary sights, it is capable of hitting a clay pigeon at 60 yds (and I regularly shoot it at 60yds for practice). At close range, it is more than capable of delivering a face full of Stingers should the need arise. Being DA/SA, should the round fail to go off, no worry as a second DA pull usually lights it off. Providing the chamber is clean, a total dud will usually flip right out if you release the barrel and let it pop up quickly. Judging by the age of mine and the thousands of rounds run through it, you can beat the crap out of it for many years of reliable service!

Mine has big problems with Remington bulk and even Winchester ammo but shoots Federal Bulk Back without a problem.