Where in order to get to the South, you have to go north

Default Polish Mauser... What to look for

I have a line on two diff Polish Mausers for about $350 each in good-VG condition but I know NOTHING about this flavor of firearm.

Could you give me some pointers to determine if this is a good price and whatnot? I realize the info is vague, but that's all I know about them. And that they match and don't look like your typical Mauser.

Thanks in advance

Any idea of which model (s) ???
    They had 4 models according to Ball.
    Model 98....similar to a Gew 98. Early ones had " Lange Visor " rear sight.
    Model 98az Carbine....similar to a German Kar98a.
    Wz-29 Short Rifle...cross between a VZ-24 and an FN Model 24 Short Rifle.
    Model 98a...which was a rearsenaled early M98 with new barrel and flat tangent rear sight.

I'm not sure how common these models are, so really can't help on price. Hopefully other more knowlegeble will reply.
    " The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous."
    Frederick Douglass, American Abolitionist

I think 98AZ and a Wz

Do you know if the receivers have been scrubbed of the markings or does it still have the Polish eagle intact? A lot of Polish mausers ended up in Spain as aid in the Spanish Civil War and were later refurbished and scrubbed of most of the markings. These seem to be the most commonly encountered Polish mausers. If it still has the Eagle intact then it most likely stayed in Poland.

I'm not an expert in Polish mausers but I've been trying to research them myself as I have taken a great interest since I bought one myself. A matching example is a great find especially if it still has the original Polish markings. I'll post some pictures of my wz.29 as an example of one with the original markings. This one is all matching with the exception of the bolt (appears to be a K98az bolt), which should have a straight handle instead of a bent one. Hope this helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0975.jpg   DSCN0977.jpg   DSCN0978.jpg   DSCN0979.jpg   DSCN0974.jpg   DSCN0976.jpg  

DSCN0973.jpg   DSCN0981.jpg   DSCN0980.jpg  
    Last edited by supercrawldad; 04-14-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Polish Cavalry model wz.29 had a bent bolt. Do you know if your bolt is Polish or a German replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by supercrawldad View Post
    A lot of Polish mausers ended up in Spain as aid in the Spanish Civil War and were later refurbished and scrubbed of most of the markings.
    Just to clarify Polish wz.29 mausers sold to Spain were devoid of any marking prior to being sold except for a proof mark (circle z I believe). They weren't scrubbed when refurbished.
    "Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love." Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by dastier View Post
    Polish Cavalry model wz.29 had a bent bolt. Do you know if your bolt is Polish or a German replacement?

Just to clarify Polish wz.29 mausers sold to Spain were devoid of any marking prior to being sold except for a proof mark (circle z I believe). They weren't scrubbed when refurbished.
    Not sure if my bolt is a Polish or German replacement, I think it has Polish markings on the handle but since the serial number doesn't match I just assumed it was not the Cavalry model. Thanks for clarifying the scrubbed markings, I wasn't completely sure if they were scrubbed before or after they were sent to Spain

I have a 1927 P.W.B. Radom K98 with a recycled Imperial German bolt with Polish eagle on the ball (I'd better check but I'm pretty sure). Its has a bent handle, and the ball is flat and knurled on the bottom. Is your bolt like that? Mine matches the receiver.

The Poles did use some German parts leftover when the Poles acquired the Danzig Arsenal after WW1. I have read that they made a WZ98 29. If your bolt has Polish markings, even if its not matching to the receiver its still Polish, just might not be correct for a wz.29. This is what I'm looking for clarification about - did the Poles used Imperial German bolts in the manufacture of the wz.29?
    "Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love." Lao Tzu

John Wall is offline Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords

Hi dastier,
    The answer to your question is no, Imperial German bolts were not used in the manufacture of the Wz29. However, it is certainly within the realm of possibility that a Wz29 could have such a bolt installed as a numbered replacement. Warsaw and Radom had been producing Mauser rifles for the Polish Army for 6 or 7 years by the time the K29 (later renamed Wz29) went into production in 1930. All of the matching rifles of this model that I have seen have had Polish-made bolts. The key fact however is that the Wz29's predecessor rifle, the K98, also utilized Polish-made bolts.
    Regards,
    John

Thanks John. Its looking more and more like the bolt on a prospective K29 that I'm inquiring about is a German 3rd Reich manufactured bolt. Which in my mind makes the rifle a mismatch and as such its value should reflect that.

I'm not the one that's interested in purchasing it. But a friend expressed interest in it and asked me for help. I saw some flags and they have been confirmed here on GB and from others I have been corresponding with. I think my friend would have accepted a German Imperial replacement bolt reserialized to the receiver if it was done prewar by the Poles. There are other issues with this wz. 29 as well.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I'll try to get the shop mon or tue

In the meantime, is there any instance where a Polish Mauser would *not* be worth $350? Assume good cond, good bore, good wood, and m/m for the hell of it.

Again, I hate asking a newbie question w/o details but Polish Mausers may be the type of firearm I know the least about.

Thank you all for the help

I can't really comment on prices in the USA but up here that would be a good price to pay depending on how much m/m and not bubba'd.

Basically, at $350 each it's market price if they're scrubbed and have no crest. It's a screamin' deal if they have the crest, regardless of if they're matching or not, but they're worth a bit more if they do match.
    Turk Pr0n!

I have written a novel. Science fiction alien-invasion set in 1908 Russia. You should buy a copy!

Hi Eli,
    Here is a long series of photos originally posted somewhere on the internet by a dealer who calls himself "Jack the Dog". IMHO, it is the best illustration I have seen of what an original, authentic and untouched Wz29 should look like. Note the small details: the location and font of the serial number on the buttstock, the color of the wood, the French-style wood pegs for reinforcement, the unstained, shellaced 2 piece beech stock, the cartouches pressed into the underside of the small of the stock and below the bolt dismount tube, the butt plate and its markings, the bolt and its matching number and eagle proof mark, the rare muzzle cover and its markings, etc., etc. All in all, this rifle is the gold standard of Wz29's, just as it left the factory, devoid of Nazi blemishes and free of the scars of Albanian storage.

In particular, note two features of the original Polish cleaning rod: 1) it is in the white, unblued, and 2) it is completely straight over its full length, i.e., it does not have a swelled button at the exposed end. (This is also a feature of the Wz.98a long rifle which was also in production at Random at this same time. The Wz29 rod is 12 5/8 inches long, while the Wz98a rod is 14 5/8 inches long.)

Regarding the wood, the 2-piece stock was not used on all late Wz29's. I have a comparable 1939 Random Wz29 with a one piece stock.

Needless to say, this not a $350 rifle, but a rifle that could be bid up to very high level in an well-advertised auction. But its a good place to start for "some pointers". This is what a typical Wz29 should look like, best case.
    Regards,
    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wz-21_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-22_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-23_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-24_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-25_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-26_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg  

wz-28_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-27_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-29_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg  
    Last edited by John Wall; 04-15-2012 at 08:34 AM.

And a few more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wz-31_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-32_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-33_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-34_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-35_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-36_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg  

wz-37_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-39_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-38_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-41_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg  

and yet even more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wz-42_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-43_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-44_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-45_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-46_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-47_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg  

wz-48_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-49_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg   wz-99_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg  

Outstanding info, thank you all! Especially John W.

I'll let you know what happens

Thanks again

x2 thanks John excellent pics! I've never seen the Polish muzzle cover for the wz.29 before. Was this specific to the wz.29 or was it used on other Polish mausers?

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Hi Eli,
    Here is a long series of photos originally posted somewhere on the internet by a dealer who calls himself "Jack the Dog". IMHO, it is the best illustration I have seen of what an original, authentic and untouched Wz29 should look like. Note the small details: the location and font of the serial number on the buttstock, the color of the wood, the French-style wood pegs for reinforcement, the unstained, shellaced 2 piece beech stock, the cartouches pressed into the underside of the small of the stock and below the bolt dismount tube, the butt plate and its markings, the bolt and its matching number and eagle proof mark, the rare muzzle cover and its markings, etc., etc. All in all, this rifle is the gold standard of Wz29's, just as it left the factory, devoid of Nazi blemishes and free of the scars of Albanian storage.

In particular, note two features of the original Polish cleaning rod: 1) it is in the white, unblued, and 2) it is completely straight over its full length, i.e., it does not have a swelled button at the exposed end. (This is also a feature of the Wz.98a long rifle which was also in production at Random at this same time. The Wz29 rod is 12 5/8 inches long, while the Wz98a rod is 14 5/8 inches long.)

Regarding the wood, the 2-piece stock was not used on all late Wz29's. I have a comparable 1939 Random Wz29 with a one piece stock.

Needless to say, this not a $350 rifle, but a rifle that could be bid up to very high level in an well-advertised auction. But its a good place to start for "some pointers". This is what a typical Wz29 should look like, best case.
    Regards,
    John
    John,

About the two-piece stock, what is considered late production? I also have a comparable (condition wise and correct as issued) Wz29 rifle to what you have pictured, 1935 Radom also with the one-piece stock.

As a side note "Jack the Dog" sells or at least used to sell on Auction Arms.
    Looking for a BYF luger rear toggle pin number 84.

All the love that we had
    and the love that we hide
    who will bury us
    when we die?